Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 to read before the apocalypse?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭KM88

Did anyone mention Brent Weeks? He's the best fantasy writer I've come across.

1. The Way of Shadows(Brent Weeks)
    2.Shadow's Edge(Brent Weeks)
    3. Beyond the Shadows(Brent Weeks)
    4. The Lord of the Rings
    4.5.6.The Age of the Five Trilogy (Trudi Canavan)
    7.The Hobbit(Tolkein)
    8.Truckers (Terry Pratchette)
    9.To Kill a Mocking Bird(Harper Lee)
    10.The B.F.G.or The Big Friendly Giant(Road Dahl)

The best books I've come across in thirteen years of reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Ormus wrote: »
    Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts
    Shogun - James Clavells
    1984 - George Orwell
    Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien
    Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie
    A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry
    For Whom the Bell Tolls - Ernest Hemingway
    The Border Trilogy - Cormac McCarthy
    Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy
    Anything by Dickens

I gotta add East of Eden to mine, what a book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

So in no particular order:
    1. Eagle in the Snow by Wallace Breem - a gem of a book about the waning days of the Roman Empire

Great to see this book appearing more and more on peoples lists.It has been in my top 10 for over 10 years.While my list might change from time to time over the years "Eagle in the snow" will always have a place on it.Great stuff!.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

douniwan wrote: »
    Dante - The Divine Comedy
    Fake Watches For Sale:D

Quite simply the greatest poem in any language, I am half a lifetime reading it and it still amazes and delights me. And it is a tragedy the so many hear Dante and think only Inferno. Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra vita.....

• Registered Users Posts: 21 sproggy13

Late Have I Loved Thee - Ethal Mannin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I've compiled a list of books I'm going to get over the next few weeks based off of the lists on here!

Here are my top ten (that I have read) so far:

1) Star of the Sea - Joseph O'Connor (probably best book I've read)
    2) The Time Travellers Wife - Audrey Niffenegger (have reread this several times, just brilliant)
    3) The Other Boelyn Girl - Philippa Gregory (I know it's over dramatised but love reading about the Tudors)
    4) Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden (beautiful book, still can't believe it was written by an American man, first time I read it I thought it was really her memoirs)
    5) Wild Swans - Jung Chang (finishing this up now & it's absolutely engrossing, not literary but really harrowing & interesting especially because there is very very little information out there re China and Chairman Mao)
    6) The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao - Junot Diaz (great & bizzare story of a nerdy LOTR loving Dominican Republic teen)
    7) High Fidelity - Nick Hornby (hilarious. I had no idea the movie was supposed to be set in London)
    8) The Davinci Code - Dan Brown (I know I'll be shot for this but I really enjoyed this book at the time I read it, before the hype. The rest of his books are mulch though)
    9) Redemption Falls - Joseph O'Connor (I found it hard to follow at the beginning & didn't get the same vibe as Star of the Sea but it grew on me & loved it by the end. He really is an amazing writer)
    10) Candlemoth - RJ Ellory (This is his first book but was always my favourite. Something Shawshank Redemptionish about it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Will_H

Some really good books here - thanks for the recommendations!

One name which hasn't appeared yet is:
    Mission - Patrick Tilley. - Easter Sunday. The naked body of a 35-year old man is rushed into Manhattan General Hospital. He has a two-inch stab wound below his rib cage and nail wounds in his feet and wrists. The impossible has happened: Jesus Christ has appeared 7000 miles and 20 centuries away from the Crucifixion- dead on arrival.

I first read this book over 20 years ago and it's one of those I re-read every few years. Unfortunately, I lost the copy I had. They then stopped printing it, however, a few years ago, I found a printing company via Amazon that would reprint it for me - Yes - I enjoyed it THAT much! The first chapter is a bit heavy to get through, but then, it's unputdownable!

He also has a series called The Amtrak Wars which is very, very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 sproggy13

Mink wrote: »
    I've compiled a list of books I'm going to get over the next few weeks based off of the lists on here!

Here are my top ten (that I have read) so far:

1) Star of the Sea - Joseph O'Connor (probably best book I've read)
    2) The Time Travellers Wife - Audrey Niffenegger (have reread this several times, just brilliant)
    3) The Other Boelyn Girl - Philippa Gregory (I know it's over dramatised but love reading about the Tudors)
    4) Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden (beautiful book, still can't believe it was written by an American man, first time I read it I thought it was really her memoirs)
    5) Wild Swans - Jung Chang (finishing this up now & it's absolutely engrossing, not literary but really harrowing & interesting especially because there is very very little information out there re China and Chairman Mao)
    6) The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao - Junot Diaz (great & bizzare story of a nerdy LOTR loving Dominican Republic teen)
    7) High Fidelity - Nick Hornby (hilarious. I had no idea the movie was supposed to be set in London)
    8) The Davinci Code - Dan Brown (I know I'll be shot for this but I really enjoyed this book at the time I read it, before the hype. The rest of his books are mulch though)
    9) Redemption Falls - Joseph O'Connor (I found it hard to follow at the beginning & didn't get the same vibe as Star of the Sea but it grew on me & loved it by the end. He really is an amazing writer)
    10) Candlemoth - RJ Ellory (This is his first book but was always my favourite. Something Shawshank Redemptionish about it)

Agree about 'Star of the Sea' brilliant but , Redemption Falls is hard going and not sure persevering to the end is worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Trepzi

Here are my top ten:
    1. The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas
    2. The Girl. . . (Trilogy) - Stieg Larsson
    3. Black Magician Trilogy - Trudi Canavan
    4. Age of the Five Trilogy - Trudi Canavan
    5. Lord of the Rings - J. R. R. Tolkien
    6. Midnight Sun (partial draft 4) - Stephanie Meyer
    7. Harry Potter - J.K. Rowling
    8. Pendragon Series - D. J MacHale
    9. To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee
    10. The Last Chevalier - Alexandre Dumas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭sallydan

The Book Thief by Marcus Zucsack

Brilliant, makes you laugh and cry, good story...all that you'd want in a book reallly! Every home should have one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭TheoBoone

1. Nicholas Nickleby - Charles Dickens
    2. 1984 - George Orwell
    3. Fatherland - Robert Harris
    4. East of Eden - John Steinbeck
    5. V for Vendetta - Alan Moore(It's a comic book but I'm putting it in here anyway!)
    6. Child 44 - Tom Rob Smith
    7. The Dark Tower Series - Stephen King(It's technically seven books, but they're amazingly good)
    8. Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
    9. The Godfather - Mario Puzo
    10. The Bible - Matthew, Mark, Luke and John (I figure if your about to die, this might be a good one to have a skim through!)

This is not in any order of preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 greenman667

Started going through this thread in search of leads - Thank you all - I still have loads to get through :D

Anyway, it inspired me to come up with a list of my own - what else to do with a Monday morning?

So this list of 8 are my top books - read all of these, please!!
    1984 - Orwell
    To Kill a Mockingbird - Lee
    Lord of the Rings - Tolkien
    A Clockwork Orange - Burgess
    Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil - Berendt
    Kafka on the Shore - Murakami
    The Kite Runner - Hosseini
    The Book Thief - Zusak

Then take 2 of the following to make 10
    Life of Pi - Martell
    The Pillars of the Earth - Follett
    The Beach - Garland
    Trainspotting - Welsh
    Brave New World - Huxley
    Empire Series - Feist
    Shadow of the Wind - Zafon
    The Grapes of Wrath- Steinbeck

All of them are great.

Also, I'm currently reading Foucault's Pendulum. Half way through now and I know it's going to make one of the lists. I just don't know which yet.:confused:

The book thief was good, but I wouldn't be putting it in any top 10 list :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 greenman667

The internet - serious business.

I'll consider myself well told then.

It's not about telling you off, I'm just offering up my opinion :confused:
    I'm surprised to see it mentioned frequently as being a top book, that's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

bluewolf wrote: »
    The book thief was good, but I wouldn't be putting it in any top 10 list :confused:

Either would I - found it rather disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭sallydan

Either would I - found it rather disappointing.

I thought it was brilliant, so many books on the same topic, this had a different take on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

I loved it aswell. Thought it was a really interesting book and a very enjoyable read!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I'm surprised to see it mentioned frequently as being a top book, that's all.
    East of Eden is everywhere. Go figure. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

No top ten list is complete without both "Catch 22" and "Crime and Punishment".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 slownightsolong

Paradise Lost.

Since we're talking about books to read before the apocalypse, I'll settle for listing this one:

colapse.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭markievicz

There's so many I love, I'm finding it hard to narrow my list down!

1. Romance of the Forest - Ann Radcliffe
    2. Ulysses - Joyce
    3. Amongst Women - John McGahern
    4. At-Swim-Two-Birds - Flann O' Brien
    5. Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
    6. Heart of Darkness - Conrad
    7. The Last September - Elizabeth Bowen
    8. Animal Farm - Orwell
    9. Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie
    10. Wide Sargasso Sea - Jean Rhys

:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

markievicz wrote: »
    3. Amongst Women - John McGahern

I'm halfway through this book at the moment and undecided about finishing it.
    What did you like about it?

Genealogy Forum Mod

It was the first proper book I ever read!

I love John McGahern's style of writing and I think Amongst Women is one of the best examples of his writing. I love the way his stories are all developed around a family, much of the Moran family in AM is based on his own family. The rest of his books are also based around families similar to his own and I find it interesting that he uses the same family name 'Moran' in his other books as it's kinda like a timeline of the family's lives, also a sort-of diary of his own family life.
    I like the way AM can be related back to everyday life and the way the mundane acts in the novel become hilarious and exciting. I don't know where you are in the book so I'll not mention specifics! I'd continue on with it because it's good at the end especially, it's quite revelationary moment for everyone. I just love it! Finish it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

My interest in McGahern started a couple of years ago when I realised I had been neglecting Irish authors in my reading decisions for too long. So I started with That They May Face The Rising Sun, his final book in the timeline as you rightly describe it. It's a beautiful book which so vividly describes the ups and downs of everyday life in modern-day rural Ireland. I have mixed feelings about the other books and in the case of this one I think he lays on the grim tidings just a bit too much such that even I, the reader, feel oppressed by Moran's stubborn foul-tempered ways. Still, it's a short book and it completes the cycle so I know I will finish it but just not right now.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

That They may Face The Rising Sun is the only McGahenr book I have read but I loved it so may have to delve into AM

Looks like I read the wrong one first though?

Looks like I read the wrong one first though?

Nope, you could read them in whatever order you wanted, you'll just pick up on a few things in one novel that are similar either character wise, ie. names etc or situational wise, ie. similar events to the other novels.

I read AM first and read the rest of the books in a varied order over the last few years, re-reading them again last year for my dissertation in college. I always find something different that I never realised the last time I read them. I can't say enough about McGahern, I just love him and I'm fuming I missed out on his last few lectures in NUIG!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Just one too add, I think it gets overlooked as its considered children's or Teen fantasy .... but

The Abhorsen Trilogy by Gareth Nix. (Sabriel, Lireal and Abhorsen)

I found it very entertaining and it would be in my top ten along with alot of other books mentioned

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I haven't read it yet but I want to it sounds really good. I hope it doesn't disappoint.

Advertisement