Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

10 to read before the apocalypse?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

I think most of the greats have been covered and I certainly agree with 'Catch 22' and 'To Kill a Mockingbird' among many but some I have read in the last year or so worth a late entry would be

Everyman Philip Roth
    Slow Man J.M. Coetzee -Disgrace is by far the better book but while a bit out there this is certainly more fun
    The Brooklyn Follies Paul Auster
    Out Stealing Horses Per Petterson

Just in case you have read all the oldies..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

dh2007 wrote:
    Not sure if this has been posted before but does anyone else try to discern whether a poster is male or female based on their favourite books?

Guess my gender:

1. The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexander Dumas)
    2. The Cider House Rules (John Irving)
    3. Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)
    4. The Mayor of Casterbridge (Thomas Hardy)
    5. The Harry Potter series (JK Rowling)
    6. Birdsong (Sebastian Faulks)
    7. Captain Corelli's Mandolin (Louis de Bernieres)
    8. Jane Eyre - (Charlotte Bronte)
    9. About the Author (John Colapinto)
    10. A Prayer for Owen Meany (John Irving)

Woman/gay man? ;)

Hmm, not definitive, but a list I'd certainly recommend everyone read would be as follows:

The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky
    His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S. Thompson
    Wasp Factory - Iain Banks
    Use of Weapons - Iain M. Banks
    The Player of Games - Iain M. Banks
    Moby Dick - Herman Melville
    A Brief History of Time - Steven Hawking
    Don Quixote - Miguel Cervantes
    The Discworld Series - Terry Pratchett

Several there involve multiple books, but there's a lot to be gotten from everything there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

The Discworld series?

Yes they are very good but I'm not convinced if they are for everyone. Firstly the fantasy element would put a lot of people off and the books can get a little repititive after a while.

There are one or two real gems in Pratchet's collection though e.g. Small Gods.

You think? I found Small Gods a little too... thinky, perhaps. I'm a big fan of all the city watch books though. Also, apparently the next one will be focused on Moist von Lipwig. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭unknownlegend

I found Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita to be a strikingly well written and disturbing book. The man has a great mastery over the written word, and I'd recommend it highly as a must-read.

I found Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita to be a strikingly well written and disturbing book. The man has a great mastery over the written word, and I'd recommend it highly as a must-read.

Agree completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭friend and foe

has anyone mentioned Shantaram yet??

quite literally the most incredible book i've read in a long time... really makes you think twice about people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Deirdre Maguire

This is an odd one, I know, and I don't know if it would fit into the top ten books ever category, but I just finished Sean Moncrieff's novel, 'The History of Things' (I think it was only published this week), and it was really, really good - which surprised me greatly because I never liked him on television. He should write full time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 SureThisIsIt

Fathers and Sons - Turgenev
    1984 - Orwell
    Love in the Time of Cholera - Garcia Marquez
    Crime and Punishment - Dostoyevsky
    20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - Verne
    Frankentstein - Mary Shelley
    The Heart of the Matter - Greene
    The Pearl - Steinbeck
    The Prince - Machiavelli
    Dubliners - Joyce

Like all of these a lot. All very interesting. More recently; "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy is good and "Cloud Atlas" by David Mitchell.

Anyone else got any suggestions for me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭slinky

Fathers and Sons - Turgenev

Turgenev is one of my favourite writers, First Love especially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

In no particular order as they say,

Dune by Frank Herbert
    The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
    Others by James Herbert (simply wonderful)
    The Stand By Stephen King
    Memnoch -The Devil- by Anne Rice
    The Far Side Gallery (any of them) by Gary Larson
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick
    An Evil Cradling by Brian Keenan
    2001 A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke
    The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

I picked my ten because I return to them many many times, I've even bought audio versions of Dune and 2001 so I can listen to them when I exercise.
    I was going to include The Famous Five, Biggles and Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators series because I loved them as a child (I still remember that knothole in the fence).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

To read before the apocalypse....

Most of mine have been said many times over in the thread, only one missing.

Good Omens - Terry Pratchet & Niel Gaimann
    Seeing as it's the apocalypse and all, I'm thiniing you'd want something lighthearted but appropriate, this fits the bill to a letter. "Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home."

(from the book sleave)
    "According to the Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter -- the world's only totally reliable guide to the future -- the world will end on a Saturday.
    Next Saturday, in fact. Just after tea.
    Which means that Armageddon will happen on a Saturday night. There will be seas of fire, rains of fish, the moon turning to blood and the massed armies of Heaven and Hell will sort it out once and for all.
    Which is a major problem for Crowley, Hell's most approachable demon and former serpent, and his opposite number and old friend Aziraphale, genuine angel and Soho bookshop owner.
    They like it down here (or, in Crowley's case, up here).
    So they've got no alternative but to stop the Four Motorcyclists of the Apocalypse, defeat the marching ranks of the Witchfinder's army (all two of them) and -- somehow -- stop it all happening.
    Above all (or, in Aziraphale's case, below all), they need to find and kill the Antichrist, currently the most powerful creature on Earth.
    This is a shame.
    Because he's eleven years old, loves his dog (even though it's really a Satanic hellhound under all that hair), really cares about the environment, and is the sort of boy anyone would be proud to have as a son. He's also totally invulnerable, and a nice kid."

And if that isn't enough, they've still got Sunday to deal with..

This is genuinly my favourite book of all time, I have never laughed so much in my life than in the three days I spent reading it morning noon and night, except maybe the second time I read it. It's filled with instantly classic and endearing characters from the slick, sophisticated demon Crowley who tries to carry out the evil whims of hell while looking cool and without actually hurting anyone, to the four horseman of the apocalypse trying to come to terms with the modern world and the changes it brings to thier profession. Touching on various subjects from American globalisation to the nesting habits of Gorrilas and from modern pop culture to religious conservatism your bound to have some affinity to it.

But it's not only an immensly funny send up of the Omen, it also has some very tangible things to say about human nature and the whole concepts of good and evil. I read War and Peace, I read Crime and Punishment, neither come close to analysing or summing up the human condition as well as Good Omens in my opinion, largely because it does so with an evil sense of humour which is a large part f humanity, but thats probably just me.

I was trying to find a quote to sum up what I mean but instead I ended up spending 30 mins just laughing myself silly reading them all, so this one will do.

"Most of the members of the covent were old-fashioned Satanists, like their parents and grandparents before them. They'd been brought up to it and weren't, when you got right down to it, particularly evil. Human beings mostly aren't. They just get carried away by new ideas, like dressing up in jackboots and shooting people, or dressing up in white sheets and lynching people, or dressing up in tie-dye jeans and playing guitars at people. Offer people a new creed with a costume and their hearts and minds will follow"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

1984 (George Orwell)

Catcher in the Rye (JD Salinger)

Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams)

The Selfish Gene, The Ancestors Tale & The God Delusion (Richard Dawkins)

The Tomb (Probably the absolute pinnacle of pulp-horror by F. Paul Wilson)

Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas (Hunter S. Thompson)

I am Legend (Richard Matheson)

The Brothers Karamasov (Dostoyevsky)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Mr. Bones

Amongst Women - John McGahern
    Timbuktu - Paul Auster
    1984 - George Orwell
    The Trial - Franz Kafka
    Disgrace - J.M. Coetzee
    No Country for Old Men - Cormac McCarthy
    Enduring Love - Ian McEwan
    The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway
    Northern Lights - Philip Pullman
    The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Falconer John Cheever ,
    all of Kafka really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Crime and Punishment for definate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭KIVES

I would love to bore people with my ten favourite books but I won't...ALL I WILL SAY IS,until 2 years ago I considered myself well read and fairly knowlegeable about Irish Literature, that is, until I stumbled upon Flann O'Brien's 'AT SWIM-TWO-BIRDS'...twas like listening to The Clash for the first time,maybe better...If I die tonight I'll die happier if not altogether painlessly knowing I have read one of 'the' books of the Twentieth Century...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Dune
    LOTR: Two Towers
    Moby Dick
    Animal Farm
    To Kill A Mockingbird
    Memoirs Of A Geisha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Flymask

Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
    The House of the Spirits - Isabel Allende (In fact most books by her, but especially this one)
    The Magus - John Fowles (or The French Lieutenant's Woman)
    Smiley's People - John Le Carre
    The Alchemist - Paolo Coelho
    The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy
    At Swim, Two Boys - Jamie O'Neill
    The Story of the Night - Colm Toibin
    Another Country - James Baldwin
    Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie

Despite the above, 40+ years later and for sheer 'comfort' reading, I can still be tempted to delve into my collection of 'William' books by Richmal Crompton - unbeatable!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Memoirs of a Geisha
    By far the best I've read, I cried at the end. Don't let the film put u off, I heard it is only average! The book is unreal!!

To Kill A Mockingbird
    So moving. It really opens your eyes up, makes you feel proud of humanity and yet so disgusted at the same time.

The Da Vinci Code
    Not for all that publicity jazz but for the way he manages to keep your breath held throughout every chapter.

Angela's Ashes
    It will make a huge impact on you, avoid if you're partuclarily sensitive. Pretty heavy emotions here but very fulfilling.

Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha
    It's just so Irish. You actually become protective of the young characters.

Romeo and Juliet
    Not coz I'm a girl and it's a love story. The opposite actually, the way it ends in a so-called tragedy. The language Shakespeare uses... just everything about it!!

The Canterbury Tales
    Ok so Chaucer isn't exactly light reading but I really think it is very rewarding to read. You'd be amazed at how much we haven't changed since Medieval times.

Hmmm.... only three to go. I have to consider these carefully! I'm only half way through an interesting book at the moment. I'll finish this when I finish the book to see if it fits into my top ten!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

has anyone mentioned charles bukowski yet? i've only read women, and post office, but i've gone back to them a few times since first reading them.
    also a lot of the same books are being mentioned over and over, but does anyone find that these books often dont live up to the hype? 1984 and catch 22 being two i didn't even bother finishing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭markw999

You Shall Know Our Velocity - Dave Eggers
    Martian Time-Slip - Philip K Dick
    My Idea of Fun - Will Self
    Beautiful Losers - Leonard Cohen (not an easy read, but one of my top three)
    The Married Man - Edmund White
    The Cerebus comic books , collected in 16 phonesize books spanning 300 issues and 25 years by Dave Sim (and Gerhard) - The best comic book ever. Bar none.
    The Virgin Suicides - Jeffrey Eugenides
    Mathilda - Roald Dahl
    Prozac Nation - Elizabeth Wurtzel

more to follow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 QueenFunkatron

Sophie's World by Jostein Gardner
    Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk
    Complete Works of Ted Hughes
    Complete Works of William Shakespeare
    Oscar Wilde's Complete Stories for Children
    Bloomsbury's Dictionary
    Straw Dogs by John Gray
    Crime & Punishment by Dostoevsky
    The Bible
    Simpsons Scripts (doesn't exist as book, but should)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk

Of all his books that I've read thats the last I'd put on the list. Still decent, but no choke or fight club.

Ok:

Great Gatsby - Fitzgerald
    American Psycho - Easton Ellis
    An American Dream - Mailer
    Heart of Darkness - Conrad
    Vile Bodies - Waugh
    Picture of Dorian Gray - Wilde
    Slaughterhouse 5 - Vonnegut

This is harder than I thought to decide on, I'll come back later!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Its an impossible task, as so many have different merits, in no order:

1. Papillion - Henry Chattiere
    Well written, eye opening, Tragedy of wasted life & time, heartening message of persistece

2 The Meaning Of Lif - Douglas Adams
    A book to keep beside the Jax, A Witty mind has a go at the names we call stuff and places

3 The Motorcycle Diaries - Che Guevara & Whoever wrote the last paragraph

4 Shantaram - Gregory David RobertsGreat read, epic life, I hope it's all as true as is it is convincing

5 Animal Farm - George Orwell
    19th & 20th Century History, without naming names. Its tough bein a sheep, but very satisfying if pointless being a goat

6 Shake hands with the Devil - Lt. Gen. Romeo Dallaire
    A heart rending explanation of why the UN failed in Rwanda & ever since, The hardest book ever written by one man, He deserves a Nobel prize for staying, and another for being able to write that book. A god among men.

7 Wild Swans - Jung Chang
    3 generations of the formation of what we have come to know as modern China. Essential reading for the 21st Century, They just might have that apocalypse tucked away there somewhere.

8 One World - Peter Singer
    Globalization, The problems and approaches to solutions that the entire world must confront if the Western way of life has any chances of surviving the next 50 years, cautiosly optimistic, which I admire in Singer, Its easy to be bleak.

9 Pick a Terry Pratchett bookHe's a cunning satirist, good stories well written, Thief of time my personal favorite.

10 The Hitchhikers 5ology - Douglas Adams
    You'll understand by page 5, appreciate by 6 and love by the end. Love it

I don't count The Bible, The Q'aran, or any other compilations of religious works by long deceased semi-anonymous Authors , While they have a relevance in a moral sense, I've read Dawkins and I get the point that Religion is used as an excuse for bad more than an inspiration for good.
    Aside from the point that much of the Bible has been edited and translated and mucked about enough to lose the point. Good stories in old testament, New testament largely muck. Haven't read the Q'aran yet, but its on the list

Toilet Paper:
    Patricia Cornwell
    John Grisham
    Enid Blyton
    A large portion of Dickens
    Mills & Boone
    A Million Little Pieces (what a towel)
    The Hardy Boys

I know its a little fascist, but anything by the above Authors is a serious candidate for thermal recycling

Thanks to everyone who was put up their top 10, I started at page one, and now have a list of 42 that I haven't read, that I really want to....

To Chapters.....

I'll be the hippie with the list haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Its an impossible task, as so many have different merits, in no order:

1. Papillion - Henry Chattiere
    Well written, eye opening, Tragedy of wasted life & time, heartening message of persistece

2 The Meaning Of Lif - Douglas Adams
    A book to keep beside the Jax, A Witty mind has a go at the names we call stuff and places

3 The Motorcycle Diaries - Che Guevara & Whoever wrote the last paragraph

4 Shantaram - Gregory David RobertsGreat read, epic life, I hope it's all as true as is it is convincing

5 Animal Farm - George Orwell
    19th & 20th Century History, without naming names. Its tough bein a sheep, but very satisfying if pointless being a goat

6 Shake hands with the Devil - Lt. Gen. Romeo Dallaire
    A heart rending explanation of why the UN failed in Rwanda & ever since, The hardest book ever written by one man, He deserves a Nobel prize for staying, and another for being able to write that book. A god among men.

7 Wild Swans - Jung Chang
    3 generations of the formation of what we have come to know as modern China. Essential reading for the 21st Century, They just might have that apocalypse tucked away there somewhere.

8 One World - Peter Singer
    Globalization, The problems and approaches to solutions that the entire world must confront if the Western way of life has any chances of surviving the next 50 years, cautiosly optimistic, which I admire in Singer, Its easy to be bleak.

9 Pick a Terry Pratchett bookHe's a cunning satirist, good stories well written, Thief of time my personal favorite.

10 The Hitchhikers 5ology - Douglas Adams
    You'll understand by page 5, appreciate by 6 and love by the end. Love it

I don't count The Bible, The Q'aran, or any other compilations of religious works by long deceased semi-anonymous Authors , While they have a relevance in a moral sense, I've read Dawkins and I get the point that Religion is used as an excuse for bad more than an inspiration for good.
    Aside from the point that much of the Bible has been edited and translated and mucked about enough to lose the point. Good stories in old testament, New testament largely muck. Haven't read the Q'aran yet, but its on the list

Toilet Paper:
    Patricia Cornwell
    John Grisham
    Enid Blyton
    A large portion of Dickens
    Mills & Boone
    A Million Little Pieces (what a towel)
    The Hardy Boys

I know its a little fascist, but anything by the above Authors is a serious candidate for thermal recycling

Thanks to everyone who was put up their top 10, I started at page one, and now have a list of 42 that I haven't read, that I really want to....

To Chapters.....

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭REPSOC1916

1. Les Miserables - Victor Hugo
    2. Notes From Underground - Fyodor Dostoevsky
    3. Language, Truth and Logic - A.J. Ayer
    4. Ulysses - James Joyce
    5. 1984 - George Orwell
    6. Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstory
    7. Silas Marner - George Eliot
    8. The Satanic Verses - Salman Rushdie
    9. Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus - Ludwig Wittgenstein
    10. On Natural Selection - Charles Darwin

I loved Les Mis. I find it strange that Hugo isnt liked today by a lot of Literary critics. I don't care if he was extravagant - its beautiful prose. He influenced many writers such as Dostoevsky and Camus.

Also AngryHippie I personally do not consider anything by Dickens to be toilet paper. What writings are exactly a large portion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

In no particular order:
    Animal Farm-
    The Lord Of The Flies
    Pride & Prejudice
    Memoirs Of a Geisha (the movie is rubbish though)
    Romeo & Juliet
    Helter Skelter (disturbing, but a good insight. Manson family were way more messed up then you'd think)
    Go Ask Alice
    Misery
    The Da Vinci Code
    The 5 People You Meet In Heaven

There are many more books I love,
    PJ Tracy, Ian Rankin, Jodi Piccoult, True Crime ones,
    I like Ross O Carroll Kelly, funny books
    The Woman Who Walked Into Doors
    Anne Of Green Gables
    To kill a mockingbird

Heck, I'll read most anything.

I've to get my hands on 1984

I guess clockwork orange should be read- but I didn't like it, at all

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭dvega

Magician (Raymond E Fiest)
    I am Legend (Robert Matta
    Enders Game (Orson Scott Card)
    1984 (George Orwell)
    The Damage Done (Warren Fellows)
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (Philip K Dick)
    Perfect Day (Ira Levin)
    Gotrek & Felix (William King) 'Dam fine adventure reading'
    The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini)
    Marching Powder (Rusty Young)

Maybe not so much in that order but all Fine Reading!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 jmcguire

Before the acpoalypse (which is undoubtedly coming soon when you consider the amount of rum, sodomy and the lash about the place) are as follows;

1. oh the places you'll go - Dr.Seus
    2. The Bible - God
    3. Atonement - Ian McEwan

I have to go and pray now before the apocalypse comes...sorry. But I think that should keep everyone going until its all over - the first is only short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

No particular order:
    A confederacy of Dunces -John Kennedy Toole
    Dubliners - james Joyce
    Don Quixote - Cervantes
    Neon rain - James Lee Burke
    Ironweed - William kennedy
    Homage To Catalonia - George Orwell
    Colin Wilson -The Occult
    The Magus of Strovolos - Kyriacos C. Markides
    Meetingswith Remarkable Men - G.I Gurdieff
    The spirit-wrestlers - Philip Marsden

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Das Kapital - Karl Marx
    Thus Spake Zarathustra - Friedrich Nietzche
    Ulysses - James Joyce
    The Whisperer in Darkness - H.P. Lovecraft
    Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy - Douglas Adams
    The Lord Of The Rings - J.R.R. Tolkien
    As You Like It - William Shakespeare
    Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka
    Waiting For Godot - Samuel Beckett

and.... ehhh.....
    A Sylvia Plath poetry anthology???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Abaddon

There are too many books that I haven't yet read for me to dare suggest 10 books that should definitely be read before you die, but I will recommend 10 books (in no particular order) that have lived within me ever since I read them...
    Steppenwolf - Herman Hesse
    Hunger - Knut Hamsun
    The Farewell Party - Milan Kundera
    Franny and Zoey - JD Salinger
    The Book of the New Sun - Gene Wolfe
    The Foundation series - Isaac Asimov
    Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy
    Kingdom of the Wicked - Anthony Burgess
    Foucault's Pendulum - Umberto Eco
    Point Counter Point - Aldous Huxley

What do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Honky McCool

Money - Martin Amis
    Forty Stories - Donald Barthelme
    The Adventures of Augie March - Saul Bellow
    Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoevsky
    A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man - James Joyce
    Song of Solomon - Toni Morrison
    Pale Fire - Vladimir Nabokov
    At Swim-Two-Birds - Flann O'Brien
    The Demon - Hubert Selby Jr.
    Gertrude and Claudius - John Updike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

George Orwell-1984
    James Joyce-Dubliners
    Plato-The Republic
    Shakespeare-Hamlet
    Joseph Heller-Catch 22
    JD Sallinger-Cather in the rye
    Aldous Huxley-Brave New World
    Ray Bradbury-Farenheit 451
    EH Gombrich-A little history of the world
    Homer-The odyssey

East of Eden - Steinbeck
    Cannery Row - Steinbeck
    The Subtle Knife - Philip Pullman
    Candide - Voltaire
    The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Milan Kundera
    As I Walked Out One Summer Morning - Laurie Lee
    Norweigan Wood - Marukami
    Underworld - De Lillo
    Saturday - Ian Mc Ewan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 skybluejay

glasso wrote: »
    East of Eden - Steinbeck
    Cannery Row - Steinbeck
    The Subtle Knife - Philip Pullman
    Candide - Voltaire
    The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Milan Kundera
    As I Walked Out One Summer Morning - Laurie Lee
    Norweigan Wood - Marukami
    Underworld - De Lillo
    Saturday - Ian Mc Ewan

I've read seven out of those ten, and it looks like I'll have to read the others now - all seven are in my 'favourite books ever' list. Just finished the Laurie Lee one, and... wow. Amazing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭emkey

I decided to keep here only books I've read before but I'd love to read again before the world collapses. No particular order.

M. Bulgakov - The Master and Margarita - amazing thing, probably the best book ever written!
    M. Puzo - The Godfather
    J.R.R. Tolkien - Lord of the Rings - for the child in me
    J. Irving - The World According to Garp
    G.G. Marquez - One Hundred Years of Solitude
    P.K. Dick - The Man in the High Castle
    G. Orwell - 1984
    N. Gaiman - American Gods
    J.G. Ballard - Empire of the Sun
    Ray Bradbury - The Martian Chronicles
    B. Hrabal - Closely Watched Trains

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

Jane Eyre -Charlotte Bronte
    Little Women-Louisa M Alcott
    Star of the Sea- Joseph O'Connor
    Hatter's Castle-AJ Cronin
    Harry Potter 1-7 - JK Rowling
    Lord of the Rings-JRR Tolkien
    Timeline- Michael Crichton
    Fatherland- Robert Harris
    Taken- Dean Koontz
    Heidi-Johanna Spyri

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Lorna7

East of Eden - John Steinbeck
    Gone With the Wind - Margaret Mitchell
    Harry Potter - J.K Rowling
    Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
    Middlemarch - George Eliot
    A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawking
    Rebecca - Daphne du Maurier
    His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman
    Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
    The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Ten books I've really enjoyed in no particular order....

Enders Game - Orson Scott Card
    the Foundation series (all of 'em) - Isaac Asimov
    Dune - Frank Herbert
    Vernon God Little - ???
    It - Stephen King
    The Magician - Raymond E Feist
    Live From Golgotha - Gore Vidal
    Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie (sp?)
    Imperium - Robert Harris
    ...and all the 'Culture' books by Iain M Banks were a godd read.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭inverted_world

This is really difficult to narrow it down to just ten. Here are mine:

60 Stories - Donald Barthelme (kudos to the guy who mentioned him earlier! Wonderful, quirky stories!)
    The Sound and the Fury - William Faulkner
    Brief Interviews with Hideous Men - David Foster Wallace
    A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawking
    Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy
    Winesburg, Ohio - Sherwood Anderson
    Bleak House - Charles Dickens
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain
    Trilogy - Samuel Beckett
    Mrs. Dalloway - Virginia Woolf

Under Milk Wood nearly made it, but then I decided to leave it out because it really needs to be heard and not read to appreciate it. I had Joyce in there too, but he's been mentioned so often that I figured the others deserve a chance. It was also a little painful not including Poe. But there you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭navin.r.johnson

1-Slaughterhouse 5 (Vonnegut)
    2-On The Road (Kerouac)
    3-Norweigen Wood (Murakami)
    4-The Road (McCarthy)
    5-Middlesex (Eugenedies)
    6-I Am Legend (Matheson)
    7-Naked Pictures of Famous People (Stewart)
    8-In Cold Blood (Capote)
    9-Catcher in The Rye (Salinger)
    10-Old Man And The Sea (Hemmingway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Fursey

A list of great 10 great War Novels:

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

The Year of the French by Thomas Flanagan

The Emperor of Ice Cream, by Brian Moore

Blood Meridian, by Cormac McCarthy

Sword of Honour by Evelyn Waugh

An Ice Cream War by William Boyd

Bomber by Len Deighton

Shogun, by James Clavell

Sand in the Wind, by Robert Roth

Troubles by J.G. Farrell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

The monk who sold his ferrari - Robin S. Sharma

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 AmieeHeartsKeak

I have recently purchased some Umberto Eco and F. Scott Fitzgerald in order to prepare myself for intelligent conversation with other bookish-types, but if I really knew the world was going to end I would advise people to read these 5, because they are books I've read at least 3 times each with the exception of Middlesex, which is kinda long to read over and over....

1. Krik? Krak! by Edwidge Danticat - she is a Haitian writer and this might be the most intense book I've ever read.
    2. Middlesex by Jeffery Eugenides, because I couldn't put it down.
    3. Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbin, another one that I couldn't put down.
    4. The Way Forward Is With A Broken Heart by Alice Walker, because the older I get (ah so wise at 23) the more her writing makes sense to me, this book in particular.
    5. Huis Clos by Sartre, because it's pretentious AND enjoyable to read.

This is a really weird cluster of books but they are ones I can re-read and still enjoy. I'm a big fan of poetry as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭emkey

never heard about any of them, but after the recommendation i'll check them at least.

they're all over the place, so hope at least one suits your taste!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

2. Middlesex by Jeffery Eugenides, because I couldn't put it down.

I just baught this one on the recomedation of oprah , it got praise from her show but mixed reviews form amazon , to be honest most of the negitive stuff on amazon seemed petty and bitter :rolleyes: I cant wait to read it (im about 100 pages into the golden compas at the moment (sorry for the bad spelling)

! I hope you like it - its sort of a history lesson and a life story all in one. Read Krik?Krak! as well, I think Oprah might be a fan of Edwidge Danticat... (oh Oprah, such an outrageous lady but great book recommendations sometimes).

P.S. I like fellow readers-who-are-bad-spellers!

• Advertisement
Advertisement