Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

win 98 problem

Options
  • 03-11-2002 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi guys, if any one has any ideas on this I would be grateful, basically whats happening is this basically my pc hangs for a few minutes when I open up certain application or when I double click my computer, then it stops hanging and its ok. For example if I double click the my computer icon it hangs for a few mins the resumes as normal, while it hangs though the flopp drive light comes on, Even though I havent installed nothing from this drive. The PC has been upgraded to a 1.2 AMD with 192 ram, and there a load of free spave (11 gig). I've tried disabling virus scan, but the problem still happens. It only seems to happen after boot up. any ideas or help will be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Hmm strange.

I think you should format the disk and reinstall windows.

And get rid of any virus scanners (norton , mc afree etc)
    Ive had a PC for 3 years and its never had a virus.
    Essentialy Clear up the taskbar, you probably dont need ahlf the stuff on it.

Honestly the only way you could get a virus is if your not carefull about what you download.

Eg. MEgaGame.exe 52kb from a geocities site, your asking for trouble if you download this type of thing

I would have get a go at the comp myself to figure out a better way of doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

try opening the pc & unplugging the power lead at the back of the floppy drive... (you never know)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Don't uninstall your anti-virus program. Just because you haven't had a virus doesn't mean you won't! A virus isn't always obvious and could come from a mate via email by accident.
    1.Boot up into safe mode and see if your having the problem.
    2.If you are, use msconfig (Typed in the run box) to turn off programs that load at startup.
    I'd turn them all off
    3.Now turn back on maybe two at a time per boot up to see if you can identify a program causing the problem.
    4. Failing this maybe a format would't be a bad idea...perhaps even an OS update to W2k or XP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

sounds like a cleverly little app that is set
    to load from the registry

it watches for cpu usage on explorer.exe.
    when there is.
    and it hogs the cpu 99% usage and hangs the box as
    win9x uses non-premeptive scheduling.

answer:
    when u start machine before u see the Win98 splash screen,
    hold down f8 or right ctrl
    select safe mode only from win98 startup menu
    when u get into safe mode
    type msconfig in run dialog from start menu
    select the startup tab
    uncheck everything except systray
    reboot normally back into 9x..
    if problem is solved

buy anti-virus software..
    install it and full scan and clean on ur machine

reason i say buy, is essentially u are buying the updates..
    its a piece of mind thing..
    u can afford to be cheap when it comes to av protection

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Just beat you to it GUI_XP;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

you win this round Logie :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

you could try updating your antivirus definitions as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

u dont go and needa buy a viruscan, just download a nice small free edition one, i use AVG Anti-Virus, it works great
    Click here
    I think i had the Nimda virus lurking in there and AVG got rid of it for me :) its cool

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Originally posted by Ryo Hazuki
    And get rid of any virus scanners (norton , mc afree etc)
    Ive had a PC for 3 years and its never had a virus.

This always amuses me. How exactly can you be so sure you never had a virus if you didn't have virus detection software installed? Not all of them are immediately obvious. I've installed antivirus software on several computers the owners of which were positive were virus-free, only for the software to detect viruses in many cases (and usually a LOT of infected files, the viruses having had plenty of time to spread).

If you value the information on your computer, always use antivirus protection, and preferably a personal firewall as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Notice how your PC is looking at your floppy drive. This is a clue. Some piece of software 'somewhere' or even the OS itself (98 is like that you know) is trying to access your floppy disk drive for a few minutes and then gives up or times out.

Umm if you want my advice (and you did ask) I'd say use Linux. If you can't make the break form Microsoft use 2000.

P & Q.
    P therefore Q.
    Simple really.

• Advertisement
Advertisement