Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

College = No Fun

• 04-11-2002 1:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else doin Law. Do you find it hard , boring and not what you expected. Anyone else in their first year in college much harder and socially crippling than 6th year?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

What are u on about lol?
    I find college stupidly easily atm (1st year comp sci) and nobody cares if you're late.. or don't go in.. etc
    no uniform.. no homework.. whats not to like ? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

college can be more difficult then you think, i thought my first year would be a walk in the park and it wasnt and i get my and more hours each year up to about 32 a week these days thats just for labs and lectures, you'll get used to it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

see the thing is i came from ashfield where life was an educational dream and carrie da fantastic social life too. So college life is just like second level to me.Now its 2 papers a week. 11am-6 pm mon-thur work saturday. and if you miss a lecture your screwed. You been through it you know, your right prob will get easier. thanks data is god

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

To be honest, what did you think it would be like when you did Law? Its not going to be a walk in the park by any means. Thats why lawers get paid big money!

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by Repli
    What are u on about lol?
    I find college stupidly easily atm (1st year comp sci) and nobody cares if you're late.. or don't go in.. etc
    no uniform.. no homework.. whats not to like ? :D

I'm in first year CS and i'm in till around 7 every night :(

• Advertisement

Dear Mr Lump :
    College is Colege, I was told twas meant to be a laugh. Im well aware that the course was difficult . However everyone else in my class seems to be gettin drunk fairly often

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

my g/f did law and business, so i know about the course, not as many lectures perhaps but a lot of reading. in at 11 ever day though thats handy enough no problems going out late then, i do 9-6 mon to thurs, 9-2 fri, work friday night and sat and its a bitch :)

Originally posted by Raskolnikov
    I'm in first year CS and i'm in till around 7 every night :(
    How come? we do roughly 23 hours a week (includin lab) and im off at 1pm some days and 3-4pm most days.. and not in until 11am 2 mornings ;) what college u in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

How come? we do roughly 23 hours a week (includin lab) and im off at 1pm some days and 3-4pm most days.. and not in until 11am 2 mornings ;) what college u in?

I'm in UCC, where are you?

DIT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

I'm in DIT too (not the same course) and my hours are pretty much the same. It's pretty snazzy I have to admit. It's great that all the campuses finish at 1pm on a friday. (well don't they?). This is a pretty pointless post by me, oh well doobeedoo, onward I go.

I presume you're in Kevin St.

all the best now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Originally posted by Grimes
    Do you find it hard , boring and not what you expected. Anyone else in their first year in college much harder and socially crippling than 6th year?

Found it out the hard way too.

Went to do civil engineering and lost interest 3/4 of the way through first year. Had 9 - 5 every day. Up at 6am and home at 9pm. They told us the drop out rate on the first day was 75%, so I'm a statistic now of the DIT system.

Glad I did change courses tho :)

They tell you college is great, because.... well it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Anyone else doin Law. Do you find it hard , boring and not what you expected.

I'm doing a Masters in Law currently.

It's no fun me at the moment either, with tons of reading and prep for class- its alot different from undergraduate level, cos you have to do so much more before you even arrive for class. i've 8 hours of lectures a week but then i spend most of my time in the library or getting cases off of Westlaw or the Eu website.

Having said that I love it. How you can say its boring is beyond me. Its prolly one of the most people oriented subjects you could do in college, and coming from a common law tradition we are lucky that most of our substantive law is from actual cases. Granted there are some heavy subjects like Company or Revenue which are very statute oriented but most of the subjects you will study will interest you. If they dont then You've picked the wrong course.

BTW, where are you studying Grimes?
    It seems like you only started your course!?

Originally posted by roxy
    I'm in DIT too (not the same course) and my hours are pretty much the same. It's pretty snazzy I have to admit. It's great that all the campuses finish at 1pm on a friday.
    I presume you're in Kevin St

Yeah i'm in kevin st.. i think lectures finish at 1pm on friday.. but labs go on until 6pm

Originally posted by 80project
    Anyone else doin Law. Do you find it hard , boring and not what you expected.

BTW, where are you studying Grimes?
    It seems like you only started your course!?
    Its gettin better lately. Starten off is pretty hard is all. Im in Griffith cause i was short of UCD. :( but tis a good school and will do me for what I need. I only started this year. Thanks Buddie.

Advertisement