Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance from EU companies ?

Options
  • 04-11-2002 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭

Lo,

I'm trying to get comprehensive insurance for a ford focus 1.4. I'm 21 and male. I've seen in another tread that you are allowed to get insured here in ireland (since january) from an EU insurance company. Has anyone actually done this? Anyone got any info on how you would go about it and what companies to contact?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

BTW, I just got quoted €8000 to get insured by Quinn-Direct :eek:

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'm in the same boat, although not to that extent. Ouch! I've been trawling the net for the past month with zero success for overseas insurance. I nearly got it from an american company, but as I had no previous insurance they wouldn't touch me. There's allways the friend of a friend who heard some bloke down the pub got insured for a tenner type of rumour, but it seems that the insurer would have to be contrubuting to some accident fund, and be licenced to trade here (i think, correct me if i'm wrong)

Btw, i'm getting insured tomorrow! I've had the car in the driveway for three weeks (saved €300 by waiting til i hit 24) I never realised there was much of a drop off before 25, but there you go. Wait til after your birthday if it's close!

Mark

Paying three grand on a 1330ccJap Starlet, course it is a 16V with EFI, so don't laugh too hard, seemingly it's quite nippy (haven't driven it yet, i'm a good boy:D )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Ok then legbreaker, can you remove some of the mystery from this then, by posting some contact details for this american company. Other people may be able to get insurance from them.

A 1.3 starlet will be quite nippy if its new, toyota have done some great work on their 1.3 engines in the last year or 2. Pity the car is a granny runabout though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Don't agree with that. Starlets are great cars to learn how to drive in.

- Dave.

I never said it would be a bad car to learn how to drive in. My only problem with is its boring shape, and image as an old persons car. Think before you post in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

The Jap import starlet is usually a 1300 gt turbo which would leave most 1.6litre cars sitting, i absolutely despise them because of their looks but having driven one the other day their a wee pocket rocket not a "granny runabout" and def. not a learners car.

Farlz

eh, Hello ???

I should have said it will look like a granny runabout, but go a bit better with the 1.33 EFI engine. The normal, 1.0 litre yoke is what I was really referring to.

Hello ando, I guess we are just waiting for legbreaker to reply telling us about this american company.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Originally posted by ando
    BTW, I just got quoted €8000 to get insured by Quinn-Direct :eek:

What are you? A granny raping psychopathic serial car smasher?

Like I said (probably in that thread u read) it is legal to get insurance from any EU country, but most have no company policy on dealing with foreign inquires and will simply tell you to piss off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

I live in Holland, I'm 20 and can get insurance on a three door Alfa 145 1.6 litre for... wait for it: 880 Euros.

Try the link below, on the right hand column you will see a section called "verzekeraars", that's a list of a load of Dutch insurance companies. Try clicking on the links to their websites and giving them a call/e-mail about insurance in Ireland, they probably will tell you to get lost, but who knows... Make sure you drive home the point (no pun intended) that it's legal under EU law to get insurance from another country.

http://verzekeringen.pagina.nl/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Has anyone tried this?? I have tried looking but without German or Dutch I am getting now where as I do not understand the site!

thanks Lennoxschips for the link, will try later after work.

I've been driving already for 2 years in a company van, 30,000 miles under my belt without a scratch, still get quoted 8 grand?

I sent an email to gerry ryan there last night, and he mentioned it this morning on 2fm!!!!!!! 'sorry all, but we dont have any info on this, although we do know for sure that ppl are getting insured'

They had topics on this before, thats where i heard of a bloke getting insured for 200euro from the EU when he was quoted 20,000 here in ireland by an irish insurance company

Sorry i took so long folks, been a bit busy. I see that ando got the link already, in case anyone else wanted it, it was here

I believe that yanklink said in boards somewhere that he has his insurance with them, he may be able to help you.

And i really don't like the local starlets either, a bit plain! This one has p/s electric everything though, and 16v efi, i even found an amp under the seat when i was putting on some seat covers. :D

My insurance was bad enough without turbo! Fast though... I think it looks quite sporty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

I do my insurance with a company called Carole Nash.
    Carole Nash is UK based, but all in all works out cheaper then Hibernian (which is UK owned now me thinks).

In any case I got quoted €4500 for one years fully comp on a motorcycle that cost me €6000. Gasp.

I'm paying €2500 to Carole Nash for one years third party only. I realise that is steep, but under the age of 25 that is as good as it's going to get.

Shop around. UK companies can offer discounts by virtue of their relative size.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Lads

Went with Carole Nash and put in my quote for the car, am really waiting in expectation for the quote! should be very interesting!!

I will let ye know what happens when I get it

Please do yop ;)

I havent had the chance to look around yet, but I rang Hibernian Insurance Ignition scheme, and got quoted:

€3838.50 Fully comp

€3390 Third party

which is just a little cheaper than the €8000 I got off quinn-direct

I just rang carole nash, they only insure classic cars, not regular cars :(

Will do lad

I was with Quinn - they wanted 1890

Went to One Direct - got it for 1210

Originally posted by Legbreaker
    I believe that yanklink said in boards somewhere that he has his insurance with them, he may be able to help you.[/URL]

boards search cant find him ? sure you got the right speling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Defenistrator

sill question....but how do you get away with driving around without an insurance disk? In Ireland it is an offence not to display your insurance disk, and I know that f.e. in Holland you are not issued with a disk/scrap of paper.

The dutch cops drive behind you, type yer registration number into their onboard computer and not only does your cars insurance/tax/NCT info pop up, but your own personal history is an open book to them (well sort of).

I wouldn't want to be up in court once amonth to try to explain to some judge that my insurance compant doesn't supply the disk/scrap of paper!

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Originally posted by Gerry

I never said it would be a bad car to learn how to drive in. My only problem with is its boring shape, and image as an old persons car. Think before you post in future.

Think before you post in future! W.T.F. you need a lesson in manners Gerry, ask and I will be only too happy to oblige.
    Are you in Dublin?

Mail me and I'll give you my mobile No.

bang it up your gooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by ando
    boards search cant find him ? sure you got the right speling?

It's yankinlk as in 'Yank in Limerick'........:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Bo Duke

I have just emailed geico (American Company) as regards to insurance in Ireland watch this space.Will tell you if they can or can`t insure in Ireland or even if they reply.I`ll set the date for a reply as Friday the 15/11/02.Wait patiently for one week.If they reply in the mean time I`ll post their reply.Say a prayer or something for a yes answer....

thx Duke,

I rang AXA just out of curiosity today to see if they would quote me. They will not (company policy now) quote anybody under the age of 23 over the phone ? You have to goto a branch and fill out a form, then they will quote you?

Idiots

Anyway, Axa seem to be bringing in more policies to increase premiums even further. if your caught speeding, you not only get 2 penalty points, your premium goes up 25% !!!!! jesus, imagine if I was insured for 4grand ..... :eek:

My insurance is three grand, i'm going slow enough to drive miss daisy! :D

And i'm sure none of us need to take comments about cars personally!

I've just put a deposit on a 3dr focus :D:D ... now to get insurance sorted fast. I think i may have to goto hibernian, I'm not getting much luck with europe

Have u tried One Direct - I have the 3 door 1.6 Zetec - fine car

Originally posted by yop
    Have u tried One Direct - I have the 3 door 1.6 Zetec - fine car
    To currently qualify for our car insurance options, you must be aged 25 years or over with a minimum of 3 years accident free and claim free driving.

ando = 21, male, 2 years no claims :(

• Advertisement

Sorry lad, I would not even guess what they will charge u

Advertisement