Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance from EU companies ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Well its more a case of they will not go near him :( Sorry but they dont quote 21 year olds.

Yop I see you took my advice on checking out One Direct :).

kayos

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Originally posted by ando
    BTW, I just got quoted €8000 to get insured by Quinn-Direct :eek:

Just goes to show how f4cked up our insurance system is. I am currently insured in a 2.0 Rover (fuel injected). Im 21yrs old with a full license. Although i am a named driver (I AM STILL DRIVING A BIG CAR) my insurance works out at about E690 per year.

So if both of us are driving down the same road, I am paying E690 to do so and you could be paying up to E8000 and my car probably weighs twice as much as yours and can go a damn lot faster than yours.
    Good one insurance companies.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Kayos - Did I ??? I cannot remember really, I am with them over a year at this stage, maybe u did, if so good man cheers!! I hear that they have a better system installed than Hibernian anyway, they paid way over the top for theirs so they have to charge people mad insurance to make it up!! :p:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Thats very cheap for you Cheif--
    I am (prov licience)18, and was qutoed 2,224 for 10 months as a named driver on a carolloa 1.4(its under the insurance as a 1.3)
    My da has never had any accidents, neither has my brother who insured on it either.
    ****s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Originally posted by yop
    Kayos - Did I ??? I cannot remember really, I am with them over a year at this stage, maybe u did, if so good man cheers!! I hear that they have a better system installed than Hibernian anyway, they paid way over the top for theirs so they have to charge people mad insurance to make it up!! :p:D

Nearly sure sent you looking in their direction. As for the system in each company I heard it's the dogs dangly bits alright :D.

kayos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Chief---
    my insurance works out at about E690 per year

chief, can you tell us what company that your insured with ? or PM me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭piet

sill question....but how do you get away with driving around without an insurance disk? In Ireland it is an offence not to display your insurance disk, and I know that f.e. in Holland you are not issued with a disk/scrap of paper

Hello, I am dutch, so over the coming days i'll go into that website
    and send some mails to different companies.
    to see what is possible.

thanks piet :)

BTW, I'm trying to go through each website myself iswell with this translater: http://www.tranexp.com:2000/Translate/result.shtml but progress is really slow

Most of the links on the page http://verzekeringen.pagina.nl are .nl
    Very few sites have english options

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Originally posted by Bo Duke
    I have just emailed geico (American Company) as regards to insurance in Ireland watch this space.Will tell you if they can or can`t insure in Ireland or even if they reply.I`ll set the date for a reply as Friday the 15/11/02.Wait patiently for one week.If they reply in the mean time I`ll post their reply.Say a prayer or something for a yes answer....

bo, i am insured with those cats...but i am one of the very few that can be insured. Their rules are basically you have to be in US military or work for a US multinational (like me)... the reason being they assume that i will be returning to the states someday and want to keep me as a customer. little do they know i love this country and plan to stay here....so i doubt ill be able to stay insured forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

Originally posted by yankinlk
    i am insured with those cats...

As a matter of interest, how much is it costing you?

• Advertisement

look at this:
    Quote 1 - € 6589.1
    Notes:
    - This quote includes automatic Step-back protection for your No Claims Discount
    - This quote excludes driving of other cars
    - NCD Step Back No Claims Discount protection only is included in this premium
    - Driving other vehicles and additional benefits cover are excluded from this quote
    - The car must have been registered in the Republic of Ireland in order to qualify for this quote

From 123.ie online quote

:mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Originally posted by ando
    chief, can you tell us what company that your insured with ? or PM me :)

The AA in suffolk street, they are a broker for church and general.

(I remember enquiring about insurance at the age of 17, before they would insure me I needed a certificate from the irish school of motoring saying i completed 25 driving lessons. It cost me a fair bit for the lessons but it was worth it in the end.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

Originally posted by Chief---
    I needed a certificate from the irish school of motoring saying i completed 25 driving lessons. It cost me a fair bit for the lessons but it was worth it in the end.

thats where they make up the rest of the premium then. don't you think it's funny that it had to be the irish school of motoring who gave you your lessons. how much do they pay for the aa to say ok get lessons with them and we'll insure you. you end yp thinking your getting a better deal but your not, add the cost of the lessons onto the premium and see what that brings it to. i reckon that it'd be a more realistic figure

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Got my mail back from Carole Nash

They told me that they do not insure modern cars in "eire" only vintage cards

Fuc it anyway

I got a quote from O Reily Cullen insurance.
    1st year = €4500
    2nd year= €2200
    3rd year = €2200

The initial price is steep to say the least, but I would be willing to pay for it considering the next 2 years the premium is half'ed. The only bad thing about this premium is that you have to agree to be monitored by satellite ..... :mad:

This one's a last resort

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Originally posted by John2002
    As a matter of interest, how much is it costing you?

Do you really wanna hear this?

Geico insures me, and my wife, and my two parents to drive my car for 800$ for a year.

I got a qoute in town for only myself to drive for one year for 3800€

Im 30. I have been driving for 15 years. I really dont understand how anyone could afford a car in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

That's pretty sickening.

Although on the brighter side, for myself anyway, I got my insurance renewal price today and it has halved since last year for some unknown reason :D . The insurance broker couldn't explain it to me either but said to take it and don't ask questions!

I dont want to start a new topic, so I'l post here.

I've pretty much given up hope of getting insured from abroad, and the best quote I can get is from Hibernian Ignition, but I can't do the driving test till 19th December because its all booked up till then. So that means I have a new car in my driveway with no insurance. If it gets stolen, I'm completely and utterly screwed .......

sooooooooooo, anyone know of any cheap insurance scheme for anti-theft? I'm just looking for something to cover me till around the 20th of december.

any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

ando, as far as i know you still have to have your car insured even though you are not driving it. I saw an article about this in the sunday times driving section a few weeks ago.

I can check this up if you want. Just to be certain like.

Just to keep you guys updated:

I can't get insured from abroad. I tried a little scheme to get cheap insurance from Fbd, but it did not work. I'm now paying €4600 for 3rd party fire and theft on my 1.4 focus :(

8*€575 installments per year

God damn, this country is screwed

• Advertisement

Hello, just to keep you informed-
    I've contacted 8 insurance companie's sofar,
    got 2 reply's: they do not want to have anything to do with
    Ireland course of ligitation laws.
    I'll keep trying and keep you informed.

thanks piet

Hello, after I have mailed 12 companie's, I only received 3 reply's,
    all negative not even worth mentioning.
    Last night I came into this site: http://citizens.eu.int/ie/en/gf/bg/nl/topic.htm
    It may have something to do with a directive waiting to come trough? Regards Piet.

A contribution from the Dutch authorities is required before this
    Factsheet can be completed.

We hope the information will be available soon.

Good link piet, I hope I wont have to wait that long before this site is updated :)

Advertisement