Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Up UP with Fees

• 04-11-2002 1:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

What is the Main reason for the Fees going up.. i mean come on... they know we cant afford it .. and the talks of Full fees next year and in the future.. come on.. give us a break.. its hards enough to live on a Pityful grand alot of the time for student.. and i really want to know why what is whats his face trying to accomplish..

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

What is the Main reason for the Fees going up

Collossal gaps in the budget.

Although I see our brethren across the Irish Sea are being exponentially more shafted than us. The government over there is proposing 10 grand sterling (~€16 grand) "top up" fees.

And we complain about a couple of hundred quid...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

The registration hike was done to pay for a new student/college managment system. Basicly a big **** off database and loads of hardware. Its going in to all 3rd level colleges afaik. Costing something mad, hence the fee hike....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

^^ What Robbo said ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Similarly...
    http://onlineclasses.ucd.ie/

This year lecturers have finally figured out how to use it and its dead handy-
    Especially for me re: unreported Jugdements that dont appear in the Law Reports and the usual stuff like Reading Lists and Powerpoint notes ahead of lectures.

[edit...sp.]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 MondaySpuds

But why did colleges only want a 13% increase but then the gov increased it to 65% increase it makes no sence...

Dont they inder stand that people wont be able to affrod college... and parents will be broke..

Student Loans will have to be taken out just to put student through college...

its all a big **** up really,.. another way that Young People get ****up the ass rite oh..

I am sick to death of the cost of everything.. College.. car insurance. Books, Grants..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

Spot on Monday spuds.

Eventually, young ppl in this ****hole of a country wont be able to live in our own country. We cant insure a car, we cant afford houses or even rent, wer taxed on absolutely every single penny, and now soon we wont be able to go to college to try and get the top job we`ll be needing to buy a house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭festivala

Originally posted by rander00
    Spot on Monday spuds.

Eventually, young ppl in this ****hole of a country wont be able to live in our own country. We cant insure a car, we cant afford houses or even rent, wer taxed on absolutely every single penny, and now soon we wont be able to go to college to try and get the top job we`ll be needing to buy a house.

Yeah but what's the one thing Irish people won't do about it?

That's right, complain. And I don't mean just whinge and moan but actually organise themselves to complain in a proper way.

But in typical Irish fashion, we're too lazy and negative to do anything, meaning things will continue as they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mozilla

thats a load o bull as you know there was a substantial demonstration in galway there a few weeks ago and similar ones are under construction around the country as we speak, to say that we don't complain is to say the least farsical.
    Furthermore its not just students that should be complaining everyone in society will be affected by these hikes in fees, the economy will suffer if students have to quit college and subsequently not get jobs which leads to more people moving to unemployment benefit which is a further drain on the government resources and ultimately tax payers, when the older generation need medical care in the future the country might not have sufficent doctors and nurses to care for them as the insurance cover for these types of courses in incredible with full fees you could be talking 10 - 12 grand a year, as an engineering student because of the manual work between labs etc. it could be higher!!

the fact that the country is in arrears now does'nt mean that we should kill off our means for the future are we that shortsighted???

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Originally posted by Rew
    The registration hike was done to pay for a new student/college managment system. Basicly a big **** off database and loads of hardware. Its going in to all 3rd level colleges afaik. Costing something mad, hence the fee hike....

ain't read all this thread, but according to tcd(college i'm attending) thats bollix they say they are getting less money with the increase as the government decreased their budgets inline with the increase and they are loosing out...........was in some email news letter or something..............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Originally posted by Serialkiller
    ain't read all this thread, but according to tcd(college i'm attending) thats bollix they say they are getting less money with the increase as the government decreased their budgets inline with the increase and they are loosing out...........was in some email news letter or something..............

Over the summer it was announced that the capitation fee would rise from €396 to €670. The 396 was paid directly to the college for student services, exams, registration etc.. The € 274 Euro increase is not paid directly to the college but back to the Government, this is fees through the back door

I would also just like to quote USI on this:

The Union of Students in Ireland (USI) has revealed that the cost of attending college per student per year has risen to €6148.08, an increase of 7.75% on last year's survey. The results were revealed today as part of the USI Cost of College Survey 2002. USI has also vowed to mobilise its members in marches and demonstrations in the coming months.

Colm Jordan, President, USI said: "This year's cost of going to college shows an increase of 7.75% on the figures from last year. This compares with the increase of 5% in the maintenance grant for this academic year, showing officially that students have actually become poorer. The maximum standard grant a student can receive is €2510, leaving a deficit of €3638. The majority of students are not in receipt of a grant, so they will be forced to spend over €6800 in the course of a year when the €670 registration fee is included. It is worth repeating at this stage that if both parents are earning minimum wage, they are earning too much for their children to receive the maintenance grant.
    One worrying statistic is that of health, with a 62% decrease in the amount of money spent by students on medical expenses compared to last year. Anecdotal evidence we have received shows that many students do not have the money to visit a doctor when they are sick, and this is certainly a distressing trend."

Noel Hogan, Campaigns Officer, USI said: "Drop-out numbers from colleges will soar as a result of the recent hike in registration fees. The figures show that on average students will be forced to spend €442 more this year than they did last year. When the €274 rise in registration fees is added, the average student will have to part with €716 extra this year. This will be the straw that breaks the camel's back for many families who may decide that third level education is not worth missing mortgage repayments over - the situation is that grave.
    With this in mind, USI will be co-ordinating an escalating series of protests throughout the country in October and November. It has become a cliché of late to speak of apathetic students only interested in careerist motives. The coming months will show that direct action, marches and demonstrations were not just a fad of the 1960s and are still effective ways of forcing change. Minister Dempsey's hike in the registration fee has put third level education out of the grasp of thousands of families, a situation that will be vehemently opposed this autumn and winter."

There will be a national day of action on fees organised by USI in February. All students should mobilise against the government

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement