Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just a wild suggestion...

Options
  • 04-11-2002 3:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

How about a Jabber server? Opens lots of possibilities :)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

whats a jabber server?
    give us an example of a working model.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

There's this new thing called Google?

http://www.google.com/search?q=jabber

Amazing, isn't it? I heard there's a thing called "fire" too, but I don't believe it.

adam

PS. I endorse this suggestion. Was only thinking the same thing about an internal network the other day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

I just thought with the capibility of support for IRC (boards.ie have one of these running somewhere?), RSS and SMTP it would be a very nice addition to boards.ie. It also has a user diretory. For instance the latest threads section shown on the homepage of boards.ie could easily push onto a RSS feed which jabber could push out to clients. The private messaging feature of vBulletin could also be modded to fire a message to the respective target user either using the Jabber protocol or the SMTP component. For those that think - oh god not another instant messager would quite happy in knowning that jabber servers have good support for msn, icq aim and yahoo IM protocols. There is a hell of alot of thing that jabber could and can do, probably the only limiting thing is whether investing time setting up the server is feasible (tho from a scan thru the admin guide for jabberd does not appear to difficult - 8 hours at a max. to set one up properly)
    give us an example of a working model.
    As dahamsta said check out google or just go to www.jabber.org - everything is there that u need to know.

Advertisement