Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2006/2007

Options
  • 04-11-2002 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭

4 and half years form now, if the present Government survives that long we'll be in the middle of the next General Election campaign.
    So what do you think will happen in 2006/2007 (not what you hope will happen)?

Presently, the current Govt. looks dead in the water, but can they pull it out of the fire by 2007? I reckon they can provided the economy turns around that is.

What do you think?

General Election 2006/2007 result 11 votes

The present Goverment, FF & PDs, will hold on to power
    0% 0 votes
    The present Goverment will hold on to power with the help on the independants
    27% 3 votes
    A new coalition - FG, Lab, Greens, SF, and others
    18% 2 votes
    A new coalition - FG, Lab, and the PDs
    18% 2 votes
    A new coalition - FF, Greens and SF
    9% 1 vote
    A new coalition - FF, SF and others
    0% 0 votes
    A new coalition - FF and Lab
    0% 0 votes
    An overall FF majority Government
    27% 3 votes
    FG, Lab, Greens and Ind
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

You are missing out on one option, and IMHO, the likeliest alt govt.

FG, Lab, Greens and Ind.

Do you really see FG and SF sharing a front bench? :rolleyes: And you can never rule out a FF/Lab coalition.

And FF/PD can do it. Two or three hard budgets, and a couple of giveaways before an election is called. Lovely.

Also, if FG are going to get into power, Enda Kenny should fight the Independents, as that's who FG lost out to in the last election. Fighting FF is easy, but FF will always have a core support, and realistically would never get under 70 seats in an election. You never get too many floating voters to swing between FF and FG.
    No, Kenny has to get his core support back, and convince them he is the man, something Noonan spectacularly couldn't do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Originally posted by DMC
    You are missing out on one option, and IMHO, the likeliest alt govt.

FG, Lab, Greens and Ind.

Do you really see FG and SF sharing a front bench? :rolleyes: And you can never rule out a FF/Lab coalition.

And FF/PD can do it. Two or three hard budgets, and a couple of giveaways before an election is called. Lovely.

Also, if FG are going to get into power, Enda Kenny should fight the Independents, as that's who FG lost out to in the last election. Fighting FF is easy, but FF will always have a core support, and realistically would never get under 70 seats in an election. You never get too many floating voters to swing between FF and FG.
    No, Kenny has to get his core support back, and convince them he is the man, something Noonan spectacularly couldn't do.

F|_|Ç|<!!! I knew I forgot about some. Bonkey, Gandalf, Swiss can you add in the necessary one?

I can see SF in Govt. in 2007 as long as there is some sort of disbandment of the IRA. Probably not with FG though, but you never know.

I don't think FG has anything to offer except being anti-FF. Enda has his work cut out for him. If he fails to bring FG into Government next time it will be the ENDA him (sorry I couldn't resist that one)

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Unfortunatly by the time the next election comes around people will have forgotten what a bunch of cheating, dishonest bunch of incompetant twats FF really are and will vote them in again. There is too much loyalty to certain parties so who gets into power is never a true reflection on what should happen. Some families would disown their own flesh and blood if they don't vote for a certain party and it's sh1te like that, that has this country in the mess it is. If people had any sort of cop on at all there is no way Bertie and his goons would have gotten back into power. I could see his lies a mile off.

4 years is a long time,something good might happen, making us all happy and the current government would be in poll position to come back.
    Plus there will at least be all that nice SSIA money flowing into peoples pockets.
    I don't see Enda Kenny as an alternative, to the current lot, he has no charisma and when I hear him on Radio or tv, he sounds like he has put no thought into what he says.F.G should have been brave and given the job to Olwyn Enright.
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Sinn Fein won't be in it, but a FG/Labour/Green government could possibly take over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Put in the missing option.

To be honest, it is far too early to tell IMO. If a week is a long time in politics, then 4 and a half years is an eternity. It really depends how the electorate perceives the current administration after their stint. Will they remember the broken election promises, or will some new scandals come to light to furthur undermine the stature of FF TD's? I'd rather concentrate on what the current administration is doing as opposed to speculating the make up of a new one.

I can't envisage a coalition between FG and SF. As one FG TD once put it, there are "significant ideological differences" between the two parties. If the present trend continues and if Enda Kenny can rejuvenate base FG support, then I can see a coalition between FG and Labour, especially with the accession of Pat Rabbitte as leader of Labour. All of this is very etheral at the moment however. IMO, Independants have a place as TD's, but no place as government TD's.

Advertisement