Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best server(s) for relative n00bs? ;)

Options
  • 04-11-2002 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Ok- used to play Q3A a good while ago (think it was 3 years ago - when it came out) for a while until it got too expensive. Now that I've gotten my surf no limits account transferred (finally!!!) to my new phone number, I thought I'd give it a whack again... but as I'm now a relative newbie to it, having not played for so long, I don't want to be joining servers where I'll just be hammered out of existence with alarming regularity... ;)

I'm not "bad" at Quake... (I used to be fairly good actually) I'm just a bit rusty... what servers (preferably Irish or UK) would you good folks recommend for a relative n00b to the game to get some decent practice on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

cloud.ign.ie - irish server

Drop into #jobos on IRC, or #quake.ie

If you`re on a modem, there are one or 2 UK servers which have a better ping than cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

q3 with a modem? u'd be better off watching daytime tv

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

benji swears by it:D, altho the pings are nastee, 150+

Thats not to say you wont be made welcome
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Cheers, - will probably check it out tonight :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

put it this way, i'f u'v never known any different u will enjoy modem play. When i started playing UT it was on modem for about 6 months with a 300 ping cos of the desperate phonelines around my area. I loved it. Its only now that Im on cable that I ccant stand playing with a high ping. Anything over 80 in q3 just pisses me off too much to play now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I've played Quake via both 64Kbps leased line and 56Kbps dial-up - and, of course, over a LAN. Never had any really major lag problems. Look forward to getting back into it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Most q3 servers that are in baseq3 (default) mode, i.e not running OSP, have a lot of players of a low standard, so even on 200 ping you'll be able to own there. You can find these in the in-game's built-in server browser, 194.159.164.181:27985 and 194.159.164.177:27970 are Demon UK servers.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Yeah, just watch out for the pros like Iky here :)

Advertisement