Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fiddly macs

• 04-11-2002 4:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

Ive newly moved to a mac from pc and i need help on how mac name their files for the web. I have a .cgi file on a server. If i download it and upload it again without making any changes i get a server error when it tries to run the file. Im thinking it is because of how the server is iddentifying the file. I need to make changes to the file but if i cant even get this simple thing to work...

Any ideas?

Oh and Regi, im typing this blind because of some weird mac bug!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭endanagle

Figment,

what filesystem are you running on the web server? Make sure have chmodded the file on the webserver to be executable.

that's prob the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

Possibly using the wrong end of line character, especially if you're using simpletext
    (So when you upload the file, it will all be on one line, or perhaps put in symbols like ^M where there should be a newline.)

Mac/DOS/Unix use different chars for terminating lines, various combinations of
    \n (newline)
    \r (return)
    \cf (control feed)

or something like that anyway, can't recall for sure.

If you use BBedit, there is an option to encode the text files as Unix/DOS/Mac.

Later,

Tim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

Originally posted by Figment

Oh and Regi, im typing this blind because of some weird mac bug!

What broswer are you using?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

using IE 5 on os 9

Cheers lads
    the server is Unix

endanagle
    How do i chmodded the file on the webserver to be executable.

• Advertisement

I tried BBedit and it didnt solve the problem. Nice program though, will be using it again :)
    So i guess endanagles suggestion is the one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭endanagle

hi guys,

my favourite ftp client is Transmit:
    Panic

You just get properties on the file in transmit and set the file permissions to 777 (read-write-execute for all users)

This was working before you edited it, right? Make sure the file is in your cgi-bin/ directory too... many sysadmins won't allow cgi scripts outside here.

hth

Enda
    --

worked a treat. Thanks :)

Advertisement