Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optimizing Internet Connection

Options
  • 04-11-2002 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

I have a 56 Kbps (Lucent) Internal Modem. I regulary connect to Eircom at 52 or 50.6 Kbps. If my math are right that should be about 6.7KB/s download rate but I only can manage 4.2 if im lucky. Is there any steps I can take to improve my download rate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

You won't get 6.7k/sec on a 56k modem. That speed's right for single channel ISDN.
    I usually get connected at 50.6 and my d/l speeds are usually 5k/sec or thereabouts.
    Try another ISP and see if it's faster, there's very little you can do to increase the download rate, 4.2 isn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

4.2 aint bad at all, I used to get 3KB when i was on 56k (average)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

3KB/sec used to be my average when connected at around 44K when i was on 56k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Apart from getting a download manager (can sometimes increase download speed ... can sometimes drive you bonkers) I'd say that you are doing alright ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

I usually connect at 48k, and get an average of 4.2-4.8 k/s. As a peak it sometimes reaches slightly over the 5 mark but never more than a couple of seconds.

Also if you start downloading at a high rate and it drops steadily, this is just an initial burst, not a deterioration in the connection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

if you're getting a very bad connection have eircom check the line.. and if you're getting a new line installed tell them it's especially for the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I said I get 4.2 if I'm LUCKY. Do they dat that line check for free? Knowing eircom though its probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by dempseyt
    I said I get 4.2 if I'm LUCKY. Do they dat that line check for free? Knowing eircom though its probably not.

They don't charge for it, just ring 1901 and ask them to check the line. I doubt it's the line though, if it was you would probably be connecting at 33,000 or less.
    Why don't you just try dialling up on another ISP and see what speeds you get there?

Originally posted by Frank_Grimes
    I doubt it's the line though, if it was you would probably be connecting at 33,000 or less.

Often Happened.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I connect at 53.2Kb/s all the time and get 5.8KB/s download speed using Download Accelerator. Without DA I only get 4.2.

• Advertisement

I tried that before, gave me a headache more than anything else, can't remember why, I'll give it another go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

My Internet connection is only 14000bps to 16000bps per minute. I rang Eircon today and was told that there is nothing that they could do as I live in a rural area and each phone line is usually split to serve a number of houses. Is there anybody I can complain to or has anyone else had the same problem and got it rectified.
    Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by gonker
    My Internet connection is only 14000bps to 16000bps per minute. I rang Eircon today and was told that there is nothing that they could do as I live in a rural area and each phone line is usually split to serve a number of houses. Is there anybody I can complain to or has anyone else had the same problem and got it rectified.
    Thanks

My dad used to get 36 - 48 regulary out in the country but since one of our neighbours got in a new line it's down to 14 - 28. At first we thought it might have been DACS but we were told the same as you. Lines split. It's a disgrace. You are paying the same as the rest of us for a line and while some of us are lucky enough to get 53.2Kb/s all the time, others are lucky to get 28Kb/s. If a line is downgraded like that then so should the line rental. Otherwise it's a blatant rip off(yet again) by €ircon. Does anyone know if there's a legal right for customers to demand a proper line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

search boards (above to right of screen) for DACS and or PAIRGAIN to see how €ircon split lines at full price to you, the customer, and how you may deal with it

M

That can't be fair to do something like that, €ircon stoop to a even newer low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Synkronite

Originally posted by dun_do_bheal
    Also if you start downloading at a high rate and it drops steadily, this is just an initial burst, not a deterioration in the connection.

What happens when you click something to save, in the time you specify where to save it (and/or name) Or even just clicking yes to confirm, its downloading away in the background. And say if 15K has been downloaded by that stage it starts the counter at 0seconds- so gives an initial speed of 15K/sec, after 2 seconds when you have maybe 18K done it'll drop down to 9K/sec and so on...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

I have a 56kps (lucent) modem, and all i normally get is 31.2kps. On occaision it might connect at 42.2 or 45.2kps but hats its, and that is very rare. I get about 2.5/3k a sec. Intially i get about 5.5k but its drops back to 2.5/3k fairly quickly. My ISP is esat BT.
    Originally posted by Frank_Grimes
    I doubt it's the line though, if it was you would probably be connecting at 33,000 or less.

so is there a problem with my line??

Another problem has also surfaced just this weekend Here

Advertisement