Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you think of a Komplett board on boards?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by Muirthile
    How about a special board where any commercial company can give official responses to users' posts? You could give companys especially interested in using the board (like Komplett or UTVi) special accounts where "InsertCompanyNameHere Representative" appears under their user name, instead of the usual "Moderator". Then get some experienced boards.ie posters/moderators to moderate the board.

An online consumer affairs forum ? Brilliant idea and very much needed in Ireland. Maybe it should get its own url a la IrelandOffline. http://www.boards.ie/ca

This would be a great resource for any company that welcomes feedback. It would also reassure consumers since Boards is basically independent of the company and if they were becoming biased me and the other whingers on boards would be the first to object and cry shenanigans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

I really like the idea, a lot.

Companies who are interested in listening to the customer can't be encouraged enough, IMO.

A consumer affairs board would also be a boon but I'd allow the Komplett one as well. Just be sure to keep control so that you could pull the plug at your discression, if you ever felt the need.

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

as I said I think that 2 companies have shown they understand the spirit of the whole thing...we all know which 2

the idea of the mod/rep is good.

the mod does as mods do and may every now and then DEMAND that the rep explain himself or herself ...meaning the sponsor company.

we will assume that the reps lurk anyway, they'd be mad not to.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

I think that it would be a great idea.
    However, I dont think that the mod duties on the boards should be shared amongst both a Mod and a rep of the company.

Instead of sharing how about a sort of agreement.
    The Komplett Reps will have a different view as to whats suitable and whats not than the mods.
    If someone was slandering Komplett on their board, the reps could easily Delete the Post/Thread.
    I think it would be far better if all the mods on the forum (or a majourity) would have to decide on it being slandering before it got deleted.

other than that, class idea.
    But will komplett compete with the crazy prices on the Fore Sale board :D

plyd Dev

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Tom I think its a great idea to have a board like that. It would be good for both partys (Komplett and boards ppl) What topic would you put it under? Tech?

Great idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Definitely think it's a good idea if they pay for it. Mods have to be independent (as in no mods from competing companies).

Ths issue of a komplett mod is important imho. Ideally all mods should be independent (though that depends on whether they're prepared to accept that any decent mods will delete comments like "KOMPLETT ARE A BUNCH OF KNACKERS - COMPUSTORE RUL3S!" (or whatever))

Originally posted by Muirthile
    How about a special board where any commercial company can give official responses to users' posts? You could give companys especially interested in using the board (like Komplett or UTVi) special accounts where "InsertCompanyNameHere Representative" appears under their user name, instead of the usual "Moderator". Then get some experienced boards.ie posters/moderators to moderate the board.

I love that idea. I've just devoured any consumer afairs programmes on the telly for as long as I can remember. And as far as I can tell, we don't currently have one for Ireland (not since the last one disappeared)
    Originally posted by Slutmonkey57b
    After all, the mod have had to put up a big "we do not endorse this product and/ or service" at the top of the "broadband/flatrate" options sticky.
    Heh, that would be me. I did it for a few reasons - firstly because IOFFL itself wasn't going to endorse any particular service (it's really a member forum after all), secondly because the particular flatrate/reduced-rate services were effectively going after different kinds of users, thirdly to avoid any accusations from members (or companies) who effectively thought we were endorsing individual company products, losing the independent status of the organisation as a complaining campaigning entity. Lastly because I'm pretty anal about legal matters (particular in the CA line). if the board is pretty much clearly labelled as a commercial board, paid for by a particular company as a service to customers or potential customers this wouldn't be so much of a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I hump this product and/or service and all her fit sisters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Sounds like a good idea to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Can someone spell out exactly what would be posted in the Komplett board, as any tech related stuff stays on the tech board and any delivery stuff stays between email.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I dont think the Komplett guys would want the tech stuff on their board.

Interestingly enough today they wrote to me and said they dont want Mod rights, and they dont want things deleted. They'll handle anything on the site or via email if something negative is said. Fair dues to them. I'd still want "C0mPuStOrE RUL£S!!" to be deleted but more for the sake of tidyness.

We might make a Commerical Feedback area with Komplett and UTV type reps there to reply to problems etc, but that might have to be industry specific....

Komplett have worked a similar system on TheDvdForums (under Suppliers) which has worked nicely for all concerned.

Still thinking...

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Nice idea :)

/me uses sword of endorsment +5

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Originally posted by Muck
    I suggest that the tech mods are (re)-used and not the forsale or wanted mods or their mates. Rotating the Boards side mods regularly does no harm either.

I suspect that some of the regulars in the business related fora had a vested (mé féiner) interest in slagging Komplett off as Komplett were treading on their fat margins.

What the hell are you saying? Neither myself or keeks have any commercial interest in the for sale/wanted boards. And we don't have any mates there. My komplett thread was in the simple interest of Irish consumer and it seems to have achieved a lot more than it's original goal and I don't think it would have worked out like that had it been done a different way.

Anyway, I was going to suggest before all this that a sticky with a companies name be given to any company who wanted to interact with boards users and that the sticky would be just on the relevant board. I thought it would have been a good idea to have a komplett sticky on the technology board as their name comes up a lot there and it would be much easier for komplett themselves to see what people are saying without having to read through loads of threads. However theres been loads of great ideas since.

I think the idea of a commercial board specifically for business-consumer interaction is great. Where on their board they can do whatever they want. As if it was a forum on their own company web site, advertise anything they want, special offers and new items where people will be free to reply with their views on these items etc. There should be total freedom on both sides, except for the trolls and the 'oh you can get that cheaper in Hong Kong if you claim back the VAT like my daddy does for me' people. If prices are ridiculously high people should be free to point it out however. It's hard to tell if other retailers in the same line of business as komplett would bother starting a board here unless they can kompette with them and I don't think theres many in Ireland who can.

There'd be major arguments about prices from the different boards (and no I will NOT be involved) and I can't see many Irish companies hacking this for too long. But at the end of the day it's their loss if they don't come on board, it's not like your holding a gun to their head, they'd be perfectly free to reply to any criticisms about them on any thread, they just won't be allowed advertise unless they pay.

As regards the mods, I say let the company have 1 mod to be able to create sticky's etc. as their not going to be crazy enough to edit or delete posts that just don't suite them as this would cause murders. I think infact they should be told not to delete or edit any posts. I don't know if you can give them mod status without giving them the ability to edit posts. Then appoint 1 or 2 other independent mods of your choice to stamp out muppetry.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Just adding my thumbs up too!

If only there were more companies willing to listen to consumers.

Originally posted by Blade
    As regards the mods, I say let the company have 1 mod to be able to create sticky's etc. as their not going to be crazy enough to edit or delete posts that just don't suite them as this would cause murders. I think infact they should be told not to delete or edit any posts. I don't know if you can give them mod status without giving them the ability to edit posts. Then appoint 1 or 2 other independent mods of your choice to stamp out muppetry.

so we're agreed.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Maybe a facility where the company rep could put an objectionable post into a sort of 'limbo' pending moderator action.
    Like not have the ability to edit/delete entirely, just "hide" that post until the moderator makes his/her decision.
    Is that possible?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

so we're agreed.

Of course the mods have to be independent but that doesn't mean I agree with everything you've said. I particularly didn't like your comment insinuating that myself or keeks have some sort of commercial interest on the for sale/wanted boards and then to make out that the only reason I started the komplett thread was to slag them off because they're 'treading on our fat margins'.

Kindly keep your stupid comments to yourself in future.
    I suggest that the tech mods are (re)-used and not the forsale or wanted mods or their mates. Rotating the Boards side mods regularly does no harm either.

I suspect that some of the regulars in the business related fora had a vested (mé féiner) interest in slagging Komplett off as Komplett were treading on their fat margins.

Of course the mods have to be independent but that doesn't mean I agree with everything you've said. I particularly didn't like your comment insinuating that myself or keeks have some sort of commercial interest on the for sale/wanted boards and then to make out that the only reason I started the komplett thread was to slag them off because they're 'treading on our fat margins'.
    Kindly keep your stupid comments to yourself in future.

When you started it All off you brushed off the idea of comparisons between Irish Dealers and Komplett, instead you picked Ireland and Germany which are 2 different markets and not strictly comparable. Komplett kyboshed you fairly well I thought.

To this day you have made any price comparisons between Irish Dealers and Komplett on a like for like product basis...including delivery etc.

That would be an intelligent and apt comparison, the suggested Kompare.Ie board mentioned in the Komplett thread.

Were you to set it up then I might consider you impartial. Were you to do it properly I would praise you highly and widely for it and upgrade you to consumer rights guru status in my eyes.

You have not explained why you have blithely ignored the price gougers who (still) operate in the Irish market having started a thread with the words 'Ripoff' and 'Komplett' in it.

Such a selective comparative methodology would probably not be stupid in itself were the motivation commercial. Therefore I cannot ask you to keep your stupid comments to yourself, and won't.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I would have to say that both muck and blade have points here.
    In terms of the modding of the board, I think the komplett rep should not have direct ability to delete/edit posts, but they should just pm the boards.ie mod, who will decide what action to take. And they should be able to post stickies ok, thats a good idea.

Now I disagree with what muck has said about blade and keeks. I think you may have a point about some people badmouthing komplett who have vested interests, but these people are certainly not blade or keeks.

Your final point muck, is quite relevant. I don't personally think that komplett were ripping us off in the normal sense of the word, considering the outlandish prices charged for components in Ireland, by both trade and retail. However I don't think blade was deliberately ignoring the irish pc trade, because I think that was implicit. We all know the irish pc trade is a rip off. Most people around here buy what they can from abroad. Blade was just pointing out the difference in prices between komplett.ie and komplett.de , and ended up being very successful in doing so.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

What part of ...
    Originally posted by DeVore

Interestingly enough today they wrote to me and said they dont want Mod rights, and they dont want things deleted. They'll handle anything on the site or via email if something negative is said. Fair dues to them. I'd still want "C0mPuStOrE RUL£S!!" to be deleted but more for the sake of tidyness.

... wasnt clear?

I despair for the reading ability of the youth of today. I really do :)

DeV.

Thank you Gerry, you said it all. I've already said a number of times that komplett are cheaper than any other Irish retailer, if you look back through the posts you'll see me saying it. The discussion of Irish prices is a whole separate issue and one that everyone here is well aware of, you'll notice me referring to this in the very first komplett post. I wasn't there to discuss that, I was there to point out that the same company from outside the EU was sending goods into different EU countries and charging them all different prices for no apparent reason.

I have given the kompare site a lot of thought. It's discussion however seems to have died down which indicates to me that either a few people are going ahead with it in private or that no one is interested. Theres a lot more capable people out there who'd run it better than me. I really would like to see it going ahead though.

• Advertisement

Dev yeah, they may not want mod rights but it would be a pain in the @rse if they had to keep asking a mod to do up stickies and whatever else that they'd be better doing themselves anyway. Unless as I said you have a way around it. I pity the poor guys who get the job :)

I vote Gerry and Kali!

We're taking this very seriously.

Vexorg is going to Mod it. He's an admin and knows his hardware pretty well.

We MIGHT make someone from Komplett a mod but if we do all rights to edit and delete threads would be taken away. To be honest these guys know their PR and they WANT to be seen to be interacting on neutral turf.
    If I were them, I would too... but its curious to see a company recognise it...

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Good to see it getting the green flag.. and hopefully it'll be as beneficial to both customers/boards and komplett as I've already stated.
    It's a big step forward for boards.ie and if people use the board for its intended purpose then it could work quite well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I have given the kompare site a lot of thought. It's discussion however seems to have died down which indicates to me that either a few people are going ahead with it in private or that no one is interested. Theres a lot more capable people out there who'd run it better than me. I really would like to see it going ahead though.

Perhaps a sticky here, programming or even hack attack might encourage ppl to lend a hand and get organised?
    Might look into what exactly is required later for a pricing site framework this evening myself... never anything on tv on wednesdays :)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yea, i think it's a great idea. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Great idea Tom. I think that Komplett and UTV have the right attitute towards interacting with their customers. Its a shame that most of Irish businesses don't seem to give a damn about their customers.

Also would Komplett link this forum on their .ie website ?? Could also benefit by exposing boards.ie to alot more users.

Gandalf.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Are Komplett the only company that will have this facility or will we have numerous companies running boards

Hyzepher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

good idea, I like it and it better be worth it for the boards.(money wise)
    but can we expect popups and the likes ?

just an informal question: how does boards.ie gets his finances to service and maintain as it is now ?
    And would the money that Komplett is paying improve the servers,boards?, salary or buy you a new seat ? :D
    If all this is none of my business, the please feel free to say so :)

Originally posted by Wook
    good idea, I like it and it better be worth it for the boards.(money wise)
    but can we expect popups and the likes ?

just an informal question: how does boards.ie gets his finances to service and maintain as it is now ?
    And would the money that Komplett is paying improve the servers,boards?, salary or buy you a new seat ? :D
    If all this is none of my business, the please feel free to say so :)

Popups will exist on this site when I am lying in my COLD COLD GRAVE and my VENGEFUL SPIRIT has been sent to the NINTH PLANE OF AOL.

You can take that as a "no".

Boards is financed by DeVore, Cloud, Regi, Vexorg and TR1N1TY.
    More recently cash from the ads is added to money raised at beer events and topped up by us to pay our costs.
    We are the sole shareholders in Boards LTD who's sole item of inventory is Boards.ie

The money from Komplett would be added to this, in a round about way, to improve hardware and pay for bandwidth charges.

We are currently facing the "problem" of what to do if we ever made a few spare bob. A "high class problem" to be sure but one which raises ugly demons all the same. We have 4 years of dosh to recuperate to begin with but I suspect we'll simply buy a second server and start expanding the services we offer. I'm about to start a discussion in a few days on that very topic.

We've decided that we are going to offer companies their own boards under the Community Section in an Area called "Commercial Interaction >>>".
    Any company who coughs up the dosh can ask us for one.

They get a rep account with a tagline of "CompanyName Representative" and an Admin will mod the board.

The cost is equivalent to banner advertising but we believe better for all concerned. I'll be announcing all this soon...

DeV.

• Advertisement

I have advocated this balancing act for a few reasons

1. We have to have a person who speaks for the commercial entity 'officially' hence the rep , it is pointless otherwise. Half of UTV could do it. :)

2. They need not mod as such, it would be better if an established boards user did that, it would also exonerate the rep if a muppet did as muppets do...libel etc. An FAQ can state the functions of the rep...which will not include hard modding. Soft modding such as thread joining and stickying should be aloowed.

3. I think that any other commercial entity should do as UTV (in particular) Komplett (eventually) and IB (bar the marketing pimp) did. They entered the spirit of the Board, took the flak, fed back fast and established their credentials in the mileau. They are 'ready' for a Board because they understand the medium

4. Top ten sites cannot run on hot air alone.

Answer the PM Dev

M

Advertisement