Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time for the IOFFL Forum to move to Technology?

Options
  • 04-11-2002 8:12pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

well the subject says it all really... I'd be happy to have it there and it might give it a higher profile. The link would be the same...

Mods... any thoughts?
    Anyone? (yeah, like I need to *ask* for you guys to give your opinions :) )

DeV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

i second that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭yankinlk

a long time coming...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Make it a poll. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

How about "society" or "education" ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I think it would be a good move for sure :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Why interfere with a forum with a clear specific stated ojective, while it flying high and winning?

Remember, if it is not broken DO NOT try and fix it, and IOFFL,s forum appears to be working as smoothly as a Rolls Royce engine.

It clearly at this juncture warrants and deserves a forum exclusive to its aims and objectives. IMHO?

Yours,

paddy20;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

tbh i dont think it should be a sub board of anything.
    it should be an entity itself if u wanna give it a higher profile...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I'd like it to remain in the community section but up a level alongside IDGC. That way people looking at the main index will see it displayed. I'd rather it wasn't in the Tech section because the issues aren't purely technical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Muirthile

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    I'd like it to remain in the community section but up a level alongside IDGC. That way people looking at the main index will see it displayed. I'd rather it wasn't in the Tech section because the issues aren't purely technical.
    I second this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

ICDG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

mmm no actually :)

I think IOFFL has struggled to appear (like it should be) to be relevent to everyone and not just a bunch of frustrated techies - having it listed under 'Technology' would just re-enforce the latter misguided impression.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

ICDG is up there because it has subfora but I dont think theres any reason the forum-link couldnt go up there all the same.

It couldnt go as a category of its own on the top nav as we just dont have the space...

I just think its a little lost in the Community section but then I guess it has a lot of PR behind it :) not to mention the IOFFL site guiding people here.

I dunno, I just threw it out for discussion... its really the Mods/Cmtee's decision...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

Originally posted by SkepticOne

I eh... third this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

i agree with el muerko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

i agree with muck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I like it the way it is :) Technology wouldn't suit I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

I agree with De Rebel

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Id hate to see this forum in Technology.
    To me, the Ireland Offline board is one of the shining examples of a true community board (along with CTYI and Phantom). Bulletin Boards for disparete communities that are hosted by the most important website in the irish community (thats €10 dev ;) ) and yet are not directly controlled by said website.

Putting Ioffl in Tech would, i feel, make it a purely boards.ie board. I like the current community feel a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

I think it would be best to keep it here at least until we get some decent and affordable broadband access. Then move it to the technology section as a 'Telecom Operators Watch' section.

Matt

No,

I agree with Matfinn.

paddy20;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

I don't know about you, but I can't recall a strong C++ community or networking community. When was the last time there was a pub meeting of PC repair people?

IOFFL is a comunity that goes beyond technology. Into politics, corporatism, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I, err, agree with Paddy20.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I agree with everyone who agreed with Skeptic1.

Failing that, I agree with Paddy20.

I'm having a fairly agreeable morning.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Careful, if two of you agree with each other the server will go into a loop and we'll have to reboot it...

Ok, I'll look into moving it up into the Community category or something as the points raised about it not being Tech-limited are valid.

IOFFL *is* a good example of community and its that kind of thing that we really like at Boards. Such communities are fun because they criss cross too... I see a lot of people who were IOFFL-only posters now posting on other boards and vice versa.

The more connections a brain has, the higher the intelligence of the lifeform. I'm beginning to think that holds true for species too...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by DeVore

The more connections a brain has, the higher the intelligence of the lifeform. I'm beginning to think that holds true for species too...

DeV.

Does this include the connection to DEATHGIVER2003's 'unique perspective'?

Bard,

My Gawd!, I can not believe it?

Bard, Agrees with paddy20?

Where are my tablets quick, and I think I need to lie down in a darkened room for 24 hours.

Good on ya Bard.

I knew I would win you over "eventually"! Thanks.

Be lucky.

Yours,

paddy20;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

wonderful?, "Isn't it" !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

forum needs to be more accessible, its hard to find for the newbie.

It's lumped together with alot of other community forums.
    Maybe it should be re-arranged under community that is more accessible and noticeable to the eye like on its own and out of public ?
    At the moment the location of the forum does not catch the eye :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Xian

Originally posted by Bard
    I agree with everyone who agreed with Skeptic1.

Failing that, I agree with Paddy20.

Agreed... I think. No, wait. What was the question again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

agreed!

*nod*

Advertisement