Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very Weird Warning Noise! Please Help!

• 04-11-2002 9:02pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I recently reformatted my pc (AMD 750mhz, 288ram, win98) and ever since I have been getting a very strange noice commin out of it every once in a while...

It is extremely difficult to describe a noise like this but I will do my best:

Basically is is like no noise I have ever heard out a computer before, and I ahve worked with computers for many years... It is not a beep or anything like that (It comes from the computer itself, not the speakers, and I'm not even sure if it comes from the internal speaker either) It is a grinding sound, but not like a hard disk or floppy drive. It repeats in an 'on-off' fashion, about every second, about 7-10 times and then stops, It usualy happens several times a night...

Can anyone make any sense of this, or have any idea why it might be happening. The only thing that has changed on my ps since the reformat was that i aded a second haed drive, but it works fine and has not caused me any problems, so I don't think it is that, but I could be wrong...

Please Help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

I could be wrong, but I reckon it may be your hard drive. Don't know if it's anything to be worried about.

Bio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭/|/)etal)-|ead

That sounds like a fan 'dying'. Try starting up your pc with the side of the case off and see if it seems to be coming from any of the fans, if so try replacing it ;) I had a similar problem with an old pc where there was a really loud grinding sound for about 10 seconds when I switched it on, and then the grinding stopped, I never bothered fixing it though lol. But it could be worth sorting it out in case it's the cpu fan or something ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Sounds like a power cable touching a fan tbh.
    Check it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Very Rarely When I start up my PC it emits a loud noise from the fan.
    really loud grinding sound
    Describes it best.

Havent been able to figure out why it does it.

Anyway it goes away when I shut down and restart

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Originally posted by Zascar
    Hi,

I recently reformatted my pc (AMD 750mhz, 288ram, win98) and

Is the 32mb of ram you added to the 256mb the same speed and not fux0red. I nearly got third degree burns off a ****ty piece of 32mb ram i added to a 128mb comp. It gave weird noises before hand which should have warned me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

sounds like a HD about to die , the drive contains parts which rotate.

I suggest you back up any valuable data in case it goes altogether..

alternatively it could be a really banjaxed sector/series of sectors that cannot be read.

after backup

run the DOS command ( if you have xp or 2000)

type chkdsk /f /r

say y to everything

it will attempt to 'mark them out' when you reboot, make sure you let the chkdsk run all the way through

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

My HDD made the strangest sounds before it died - the only way I can describe it is like an unoiled see-saw....

Id back up anything you really want ASAP.....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Hmmmm.... It was making the sound loads again last night, however it actually went on for about 5 minutes straight, not just 10 seconds... As I said I have 2 hard drives, I got the 2nd one from a mate... so I can't be sure which one it is...

Any suggestions of what I can so, apart from the obvious - I'm getting a new hard drive but won;t be able to get it till the weekend, but just in case it packs in before then?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,802 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

open case, use ear to find out what is making noise.

it's not hard...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

open case, use ear to find out what is making noise.

heh .. apply ear to hard drive, if ear burns - listen if drive is banjaxed then remove ear from hard drive quickly, apply cold water to ear ...

or else just take the power cable and ide cable out of (away from?) the drive without the windows folder on it and check for noise (see instructions above :D )

• Advertisement
Advertisement