Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard of Dublin Bands?

Options
  • 04-11-2002 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭

this controversial enough for all of you....

personally i think alot of dublin bands are good...but... then again some are obviously not so good...

someone posted that they didn't like a single dublin band ... so... lets find out why

mick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Vocally dull and very little diversity of style would be my guesses. Every band in Dublin seems to want to be the next U2 when they should be trying to be the new them (<- and no I'm not refering to Van Morrisons old band :) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

thats a good point pigman-although personally i wouldnt insult them by calling them as mediocre as u2 ;)

i find a lot of dublin bands dont have an interesting enough sound for my liking, i liek music thats sad, and beutiful, or it can be happy if its special enough. a b it of electronics can be good.

i do think that there are too any bands that sound the same, and nothing sets them apart from the rest. Im going too be a bit of coward and not name name's, coz i know some of these bands from here. It wouldnt be fair to call them crap, theyre simply not my kind of music. some of them are very close to it though, and i feel that with a little bit of experimenting they could be great-but thats just my opinion, and theres no point in bands chanigng their direction just for me :)

i still say play what u want to play, if u like it, then it doesnt matter if theres no one out there who doesnt like what ur aiming for, at least ur doing what u want. if an audience is more important, then u have to conform. (ok going off topic)

irish bands that i like at the moment are the 66e, polar, turn, the dudley corporation, joan of arse, wallmark, the recently departed brando...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

in fairness pigman...

i respect your opinion and all but i dont know any dublin bands who are tryin to sound like u2... in fact i cant think of any of the bands that i know that would even state u2 as an influence or as a band that they would listen to regularly

maybe some are trying to emulate their success but who doesnt want to be a multi-millionaire?

a suggestion for you... if you think that most dub bands are vocally dull...check out the 66 electric

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

Well the obvious answer is they haven't got the natural talent
    in themselves. Everyone has friends that play guitars but no
    matter how technically good they get or how many songs they
    try to write, it won't make them creatively gifted. You either have the magic in you or you don't and most don't.
    It's a quite obvious gap.
    To name some from the last couple of years...Damien Rice, Mundy, Gemma Hayes,JJ72, Snow Patrol,The Walls, BellX1, Skindive, Turn, Gab y Rod(if we can adopt) and, most recently, Woodstar deserve local support whether they make it abroad or not.

It's still a country that produces several new
    and great artists each year but there's gonna be a lot of
    ordinary left-overs floating around Dublin venues and sinking.
    Yes, a lot of dublin bands are good but does their music seriously inspire you?

If you really like an artist in this country go to their gigs, buy
    their stuff but you can't expect people to support bands
    who don't inspire, unless it's their mates!
    But there'll always be some genuine talents that come to our
    attention each year.

Originally posted by knobbles

To Woodstar deserve local support whether they make it abroad or not.

see this is where difference of opinion come into play...ive seen woodstar and i thought they were crap, that maybe one of their songs was any good.

i blame difference of opinion.

• Advertisement

....i haven't heard their full catalogue yet but i have their
    E.P. and "dumb punk song" is a fantastic song that doesn't
    sound like anything else coming out of here at the moment.
    i like the e.p. but i'd judge them on that song alone.

if you like flaming lips,mercury rev or snow patrol, check it out.

i liked woodstar when i saw them but they are like sparkehorse if you're looking for a comparison

i do like flamin lips and mercury rev but ive seen woodstar twice and theyve failed to impress me...

wow
    that is a comparison i would never make!
    its amazing how diffeent people hear differnt things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

experimentation thats what i try to do

bass lines will always sound the same at the start
    but you should push it and try to in the words of black flag "ya gotta rise above , ya gotta rise above"

• Advertisement

see....that the kind of attitude i have a problem with

theres no need to rise above it

im for experimentation, youre for experimentation, but it doesnt mean that not experimenting is a bad thing, it means we dont like it and there's not reason to think its bad just coz we dont like it

punk was experimentation

does'nt mean you go wanky like radiohead or stereolab

Originally posted by polarbelly
    i liked woodstar when i saw them but they are like sparkehorse if you're looking for a comparison

flaming lips/sparklehorse, ye that's the best comparison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

Quincy are one of the worst bands ever saw them support 66e in da2 and boy did they ever suck.
    There review single in hot press was a classic;-
    Despite opening with a potentially interesting guitar riff, Quincey swiftly knee themselves in the groin with dodgy keyboards, out of time ‘clapping’ and a vocal that ends every phrase with “owww”. I’ll be brief: they sound like a bunch of tone deaf 20-somethings who genuinely don’t realise how tragically bad they are. Not a pretty sight. Not at all.

just to let you know, the lads from quincey frequent this brd a wee bit... not that i think you'll care...the ol' review was particularly cringe worthy alright though... poor feckers, i'd be heartbroken getting a review like that.

damn
    i've seen some shockers
    some nothern irish band claled the evangelists

jesus christ
    if the holocaust was proof god did'nt exist then here was the icing on the cake.

it's probably a bit harsh slaggin some of these giggin
    artists(or acts might be the apropriate word) and singling
    them out unless maybe if they're gettin loads of praise which
    you don't think they deserve.

i've been kindly posted a few demos from bands that were
    discussed in here over the lasy year. As bands and musicians, they all sounded impressive but i've yet to come across any great songs which is what it takes to win you over.
    The most impressive demo had diversity in its songs and i'd
    like to check them out some time but most were kinda bland
    to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Shorty

http://www.redfrecords.com/redneck.html

Look at this link, and in the review by The Event Guide it states: "... they'll never become part of this countries mainstream, where awards ceremonies strive to suggest that all music is good music once it's made by an Irish act,"

Hmmmm??:) :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 musicman

Well Mr Bandit(or should that be Ms),

Having read this thread and seen your post complete with quoted hot press "review"(if you cold call it that) I decided to check out this song and surprise surprise...it aint all that bad!

Now lets see...

Dodgy keboards...they sounded fine to me
    Out of time clapping...sounded in time to me
    Ending every phrase with "owww"...ehhh didn't quite catch that..
    Tone deaf...nothing out of key or tune
    As for how tragically bad they are, well I've heard far bigger bands with worse stuff that would get a great review in hotpress

I have to say I have not seen a review like that in quite some time.
    It is a bad review alright.. a badly written review. What did the music sound like? Compare it to something to give the reader something to go by, nothing of that nature appeared here..

Perhaps the reviewer didn't know much about them, perhaps she didn't understand the music(not an altogether unfeesible idea) and it was easier for him/her to write this diatribe.. I guess we will never know...

I would'nt not go to see a film cause of a bad review it got, would you?
    You might just be missing out on something good!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

To be honest I thought the Hotpress review of Quincey was way over the top myself...ok you have to respect honesty but jaysuuus that was harsh ...almost like a person attack perhaps there is more to it than meets the eye......we all know how small this town is and grudges are held like assholes in Dublin aren't they hahahaa

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Raggamuffin
    damn
    i've seen some shockers
    some nothern irish band claled the evangelists

jesus christ
    if the holocaust was proof god did'nt exist then here was the icing on the cake.

Where do you get these from? :rolleyes: lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 TriggerGene

pulse fm is a animal station and all you muppettts are just anoying penis rubbing faggots wasting your time talking dirty **** about **** hippy bands that stroll around dublin with their cocks in their hands thinkin they are the kings of future music when dance music is takin over your retarded air waves . keep dance alive KILL ALL HIPPYS (d roof d roof d roof is on fire we dont want no benders hippys let the fire burn higher) SORTED ANIMAL BUZZ IM OUT OF HERE you pack of crusty basterd faced **** eaters.

A jaysis buh! yolked ourrivah! rappah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭hmmwhat?

Originally posted by Trev M
    To be honest I thought the Hotpress review of Quincey was way over the top myself...ok you have to respect honesty but jaysuuus that was harsh ...almost like a person attack perhaps there is more to it than meets the eye......we all know how small this town is and grudges are held like assholes in Dublin aren't they hahahaa

Hey Trev!

You are indeed right. For reasons I can't really go into here that review had a lot more than meets the eye! No one in the band sees that as criticism because of this and no one is offended.

For those people who were angry at the review and for those who got off on it, Quincey's new single and video is a song called So Real and is not even finished yet. Superstar was recorded in about three hours for no money and was not intended for release.

Dublin has some really great bands. Through gigsmart, phantom and other things around I personally have seen dozens of fantastic artists over the past year. People get so caught up trying to promote themselves or their friends band that it turns bitchy and envious. It is a sad state of affairs. Artists (my band included) work their ass off for little or no money because they believe in what they are doing. Keep it up because I know we will.

http://www.quinceyband.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Business man

The problem is there are too many run of the mill 'indie' bands who write strummy acoustic guitar ballads that just come across as the most boring drivel ever. Either that or they write songs that are hidden under layers of guitar effects that just cover up the holes.

Stage presence doesn't seem to enter many peoples minds eiter as far as any of the bands I've seen recently go. Being 'cool' does not mean sauntering onto the stage in Eamonn Dorans while your drummer who has come on ahead of you plays a 'rockin' 4/4' while you set up your gear. (I wont name the band but that was possibly the lamest thing I've ever seen)

Basically there are just too many bands which then taint the few good bands there are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Its a lack of personality thats the problem if ya ask me....
    No rock stars in this city... and those that think they are are pretentious losers who are the sole members of their own fan clubs.
    Hmmmmm that sounds harsh but im gonna stick with it. Or maybe ill take up primal scream therapy....

i don't know what the main agenda is for this forum -
    to promote local music or to discuss great music from home
    and abroad.

It all sees to be local promotions and plugs and worst of all
    pretending to be a new member and starting a topic on a
    local band when it's fairly obvious it's the band themselves doin it.
    ....well i noticed it with one local band(whose music i've yet to hear) at it the last while and it's sad.

There' s fec all talk about great international music,
    favourite artists,great new albums and bands except maybe the big gigs. Are these topics not of more interest than "saw a
    cool band in DA2"?
    I don't wanna be harsh but it's just all over the place and
    there's never anything interesting to talk about
    ....though this is an interesting topic!

I dunno, leave a link/promotion to your band on your signature
    and leave it at that and more discussions about great gigs
    like sigur ros or QOTSA or debate the manics new album etc.

there was a thread discussing the manics, and one discussing the new sigur ross album, and they dropped down and out coz no one was replying to them, knobbles....

....and wasn't it nice to share it with other fans,
    sigur ros gig

sorry, i didn't contribute to the any manics topics but i'm
    not a fan, it was just an example, pay more attention to the "etc"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭jonny

not sure if this has already been said. but i'll say it anyway.
    i reckon the reason that theres so much drivel, especially in ireland as regards new music is because everyone aspires to be a rockstar whether they have it in them or not.
    most bands have NO heart and soul and a lot of them just rip off their heros.
    there are so many people who are "musicians" for the sake of it rather than for the love of it.
    i find that a lot of bands analyse a certain type of music, then take that formula and use it for themselves. this creates NOTHING.

(ahem) also, a lot of people put up posts on this message board looking to form a band, or looking for a specific band member, and reel off a whole load of band names, who im guessing are the essential ingredients for the finished band which will be...what?...ORIGIONAL?

i'm sorry, i just cant get my head around this.

AND ANOTHER THING: i was in the chatroom once and somebody, who claimed to be a musician, asked for pointers on "how to write a song". if youre asking for advice on this matter, you probably shouldnt be writing songs

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Advertisement