Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard of Dublin Bands?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 IrishUnsinged

Originally posted by Business man

Stage presence doesn't seem to enter many peoples minds eiter as far as any of the bands I've seen recently go. Being 'cool' does not mean sauntering onto the stage in Eamonn Dorans while your drummer who has come on ahead of you plays a 'rockin' 4/4' while you set up your gear. (I wont name the band but that was possibly the lamest thing I've ever seen)

Go see Lucas, Dextra, Clann Zu, or even Qunicey themselves for lead singer's with stage presence, who are entertainers as well as singers and/or songwriters

There are far too many bands who think that a live gig should be almost as close as possible to a recorded sound. Mainline, who won a Battle of the Bands in May on technical Ability, have superb music, very well constructed and so on but (and this isn't an attack on them, I like them) they have no crowd interaction that I have seen. Quincey (and lot's like *them) are the opposite. The music is reasonably good but the thing is about entertaining hte punter. Personally, the bands who i have seen over the year I have co-run IrishUnsigned that appeal to me most are those who can combine good, catchy music/words along with a tight professional attitude (no setting up mid-song!), crowd interaction and the "Jeeeeeeezuz Christ!?!" factor

As I said, Clann Zu, Lucas, Dextra, even Sutras to an extent (and the oddest band I have seen in years "The Mental Institution" from Waterford) are those types of bands. That's why we focus on them - we like them!

If more bands were to (a)Treat the industry as one big co-operative and (b)Stop trying to put each other down cos that's what the major' players want, then things would improve and so would quality (losing quantity would be a good thing too).

Originally posted by jonny
    AND ANOTHER THING: i was in the chatroom once and somebody, who claimed to be a musician, asked for pointers on "how to write a song". if youre asking for advice on this matter, you probably shouldnt be writing songs

That's unfair. It might be infantile to you if you can both write songs and play them. Personally, I can't. I can write words, can even whistle the relevant melody but can't play anything. I assume it is the same for someone who may have been a musician for years but never got involved in the songwriting process. Never, if you don't mind me being critical, slag someone off for wanting to better thamselves...

By the way, I agreed with your comments re: individuality and originality etc. many people think there is some chance of them getting signed to a major lable because their family likes their music. We have been trying to tell bands that it ain't going to happen and they're better aiming at being a part-time band rather than professional (although they should treat it professionally). The best that the vast majority of bands could ever hope for would be to be able to play gigs every other week and make enough money to enable them get better...

I usually use the anaology of football in Ireland: 1/3 million players, a few thousand making 'expenses', a couple of dozen full time professionals and a few superstars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Shorty

Kirn - I did buy Kicking Against, I'm actually going to the Ballroom of Romance tomorrow and I do ask in Road. I also do have albums by some of those bands you mentioned. But does phantom play those bands?

I was also at the Ballroom of Romance before, that gig Mumblin Deaf Ro was talking about, Warlords of Pez with the Evangelists. I will say that the lead singer did have energy! :) But he also joked at the end of their set that maybe they should leave through the back,some people didn't think he was joking. :)

And yeah my cd r won't play properly. :( ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

wow too many opinions here to respond to... in general I think Dublin's had a relatively high quality and for the size of the city it has an amazing density of musicians. Of course not everybody is going to like everything and there are some bitter sods who will never like anything but overall I think there is a sense of craft and musicianship in Dublin that is lacking in some other places that are more trend-based scenes. Teh music you end up making a connection to is a matter of personal taste but in my opnion a good number of truly fine bands have been mentioned throughout this thread.

Originally posted by Arch

When there are bands with so many different aims and listeners with so many different opinions out there, I think it’s impossible to define any rules at all. When I go see a band that seems to have little to offer, I can’t say ‘these guys suck’ cause there are no rules, no agreed standards. You could think a band is the worst in the world but you will always find a bunch of people who love them.

I agree with that (I usually put it that there is no such thing as a **** band cos they can do something I can't, so I must be ****ter by definition!).

My problem is the bands who think they are the best in the world, are only being prevented from being propelled to superstardom cos the A&R people haven't seen them yet and are waiting for "it" to happen. It's annoyingly naive and in an industry like Music, naivete is not to be excused.

Neither, by the way, is being a prima donna, being unprofessional in your behaviour or arrangemenbts etc. The number of bands who have *NEVER* cancelled their appearnace at a gig cos they couldn't be botherd, have *NEVER* made an appointment with someone that they then forgot about, has *NEVER* decided that other people owe them a living somehow and all that other **** can be counted on one hand.

By the way, I'm not saying I am perfect but, bear this in mind, people like me put ourselves out, spend our own money, waster the limited free time we have and all that - sometimes to the detriment ofother things - just to help out bands in general and specific bands ni particular, and we should have bands jumping all over themselves for our help. However, many of them are too lazy, too self-absorbed and so on.

Incidentally, one other thing (cos I'm remembering how annoyed some bands have made me), why is it that a band reckon they can draw 50+ puntrers to a gig "no hassle" when they are being offered it but, once they get there they can't draw a circle on a blank page? Do they think we're going to come back for them when they lose us money by lying? Or do they just not bother trying cos they're not paying the bills?

Many of the gigs we did had promises of hundreds of fans. They only two we made any profit on drew about 150 each. The ones we made losses on drew about 25-40 between four bands. The last one (the final straw in our self-funded gigs) drew nine people in Whelans for four bands who promised they could draw "at least 25 people" to it.

Pisses me off how they expect anyone to want to do them a second favour...:mad:

• Advertisement

Originally posted by soma
    1) I play in a band too who are the standard rock quartet - but we have alot of fun writing music and playing gigs etc.. and our friends who come along to gigs have a good night out and a laugh.. we're never gonna conquer the world but u know what? we're having some FUN... is that so bad????

2) I think the quality of bands in dublin is INCREDIBLY underestimated when compared to other cities in the world. This is a city of a mere 1 million ppl - and yet we have a plethora of acts I gladly pay to see. You've got ppl like gigsmart who obviously are genuine in their love for the music and for gigs.
    The downside is we have a remarkably cynical audience to play to.

Well, I'm never goin got be in a band of any sort (other than the Artane Boys Band back in the 70's!) but I agree with you 100%

On both points.

But neither excuses an sttitude in bands (some bands) that says "Why are you not making us rich and famous?" or says "There's only 20 people at this gig so we're not gonna try"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭hmmwhat?

Here Here IU.

Being in an unsigned band is very tough in Dublin. It has happened a few times to us where bitchiness etc. would just turn you off helping or supporting other bands (although it doesn't stop us doing it).

We are an unsigned band. We released our own single a while back and are going to release another soon. We do not make that much money from gigs and releases but we do it because it is the best feeling in the world when it is right. We have played gigs where 30 people showed up and when 200 have showed up. The point is if you enjoy what you are doing and the people who come to see you enjoy it, it's worth the **** you get off people. I can understand attacking signed bands that get paid unbelievable amounts of money when they do not deserve it. But attacks on bands that are doing it because they believe in themselves?? I think it is wrong. Just don't go to their gigs or buy their records.

I also agree about the live sound thing. When I go to a gig I want to see a show. Otherwise I would just listen to their CD. There are plenty of bands in dublin that get on stage and are not frightened to give it that bit extra. Who cares if the music is not note perfect. Jesus, the velvet underground could barely play live! There are some great bands out there.

Advertisement