Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

discuss...

Options
  • 04-11-2002 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭

i've noticed that over the past while, the clubs i've been out to have been growing more and more empty... phantasm after the turn gig was the first time i was there and could walk freely to the bar...

i work in an off-license and i've noticed that we havent been busy either which is not consistent with trends for late october early november....

does anyone have an idea why this is?

are ppl afraid the economy is slipping again?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Irish people forsake the booze ... one thing is certain in Ireland. Pubs are almost recession proof ... no matter how expensive the poison is or how unemployed we are, we still in the pub.

I think the club scene has suffered because of the longer opening hours and bigger capacities of pub. The majority of Irish drinkers lack taste and will always flock to the big drinking houses with a DJ that plays "a bit of everything" and now stays open later. Why bother leaving and having to pay into a club!

Clubs are closing their doors every where ... a big loss to the more discerning punter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

on the pub thang... i was talkin to the manager of our local at the last ireland match and he said it was the slowest match night they've had in agaes (remember it was only being shown on satelite tv, so you'd expect ppl in their droves at the pub)

during the summer there wasnt a not full night in whelans that i was at and te late opening ours were in operation then too
    so i dont know if thats the reason ppl arent going to the clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

i dont know why it is either polarbelly, but ur defo right.
    in vicar street over the summer the shelter stayed open, and the clubs, which usually sell out at 300 people, usually averaged around 100

now of course, the fact that vicar st had closed down was the main cause, we assumed, with not many people looking for somewhere enarby to go to after last orders

but now that vicar street's reopened with the 2 new bars, and the bigger capacity gigs are selling out, but the bars are not. people are leaving earlier, and there definately isnt the same crowd of people there. in my opinion, there was more people staying for drinks when the pace was smaller, before the summer

on a personal level ive decided that i dont go out as much as i should. im at the age where society dictates i should be going out and having fun and im doing that once every 2 weeks as opposed to 7 nights a week as i should be ;). so as much as the cash'll allow, im trying to go out even when i dont feel like it, as of the last 3 weeks.

revolution sista!!!!!!

dont let the lack of cash get ya down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

When I worked in a cinema I noticed that around this time every year there was always a lull {in both cinema and pubs}. I always thought it had something partly to do with the weather but mainly coz christmas starts playing on people minds {sorry to mention it so early} and they know how expensive it'll be.
    Tiz only one of my many theories though..............

• Advertisement

yeah we thought it might be to do with chrimbo in work too...but in general are figures are down on where they ought to be for this period of the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭shay

he he he,
    maybe coupledom (see my various ramblings all over this site incl. halloween phantasm) is more widespread than I thought.....
    it certainly fits the problem - less people out late, less people dancing etc.
    Sweet god, could I be on to something ;)

i dont think coupledom rumour is true coz everyone seems to be breaking up, (ok...well not everyone.,...)

he he he (rubbing hands mischieviously)

Then my plan is working :D

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

its just too damn expensive to stay out for any great length of time.and a club is out of the question,pay money to get in and they pay for over priced watered down muck!HA!
    i just run and hide in the pav,€2 a can..pity about all the scabby stoodents tho...

• Advertisement

oh my God...youre so bitter!!!
    ive gotten past that stage....GET OVER IT!!! :):);)

Tonight Matthew, for my 100th post, i am going to be Robert De Niro....

You talkin' to me?

Originally posted by shay
    he he he,
    maybe coupledom (see my various ramblings all over this site incl. halloween phantasm) is more widespread than I thought.....
    it certainly fits the problem - less people out late, less people dancing etc.
    Sweet god, could I be on to something ;)

surely shay there'd be an increase in profits in the contraceptives market... and i havent seen any in their figures either

:D:D:D:D

shay was that u talking to me directed at me?

of course i am

i am bitter too im just very good at hiding it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

i think the main reason for this is probably the fact that clubs are charging whereas everywhere now has a lte bar so why pay extra to just go drinking in a different place.............

Em, yes I think I was talking to you :confused::D

From now on, I shall not revisit this topic of coupledom lest I'm called obsessive (nd bitter) ;)

vicar st has a theatre liscence
    theres no clubs any more
    so therefore u ahve bar u can drink in, without having to pay any moremoney into, with a lisence that can serve till whatever time if it feels theres a demand
    but there's no demand....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

because vicar street isn't seen as being a bar to go drinking in it is seen as a place to have a drink before the show and mebbe after the show but mainly just if you are going to a show

Advertisement