Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Drive Spinning down to fast

• 05-11-2002 12:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hey everyone

I have a problem and i think its case of the hard drive spinning down too fast..

what happenens is that all setting in Windows are fine but when i close windows the Power stays on..

it was not always like this..

i dont think its a software issue cause i also have Linux on a dual Boot and the same thing happens with that it doesnt shut down

i have win 98 and 2000 and linux
    on the same comp
    2 hard drives..

any help
    will give more detail tomorrow

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

ya may have turned off acpi (also known as power management) in the bios

therefore the OS cannot issue the final powerdown instruction to the computer motherboard

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Make sure you have apm enabled in control panel -> power options

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 MondaySpuds

i have checked my power managment option in windows before and that not the problem...

but i think the Bios setting may be the ans...

i ahve to test it again.. to see what the full story is..

I have Tri boot... on it
    Linux win 98 and win2000

but linux and win 98 are on a different hard drive...
    i have to check does it happen if i load linux...
    i think it does i think i tried it before.
    will get back to yea on this..
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

If APM does not fix it in bios.. maybe update your bios.

still no fix.. but i think i will update Bios.. not a bad idea.. thanks
    lets see if this works

• Advertisement

Still not working :-(

what does APM/ACPI mean anyways ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

how does one update ones bios praytell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Mork

APM/ACPI means this:

APM = Advanace Power Management, this came out in 1992 as an industry effort to reduce the power consumption of PC's/Laptops

ACPI = Advanced Configuration Power Interface, this is a development of APM. It is also part of the On-NOW programme, where you can turn on your PC like a televison and it springs to life straight away. This is just a basic explaination as there are a lot of elements to it.

How do I update my BIOS?

Well, if you are asking this question I wouldn't recommend it unless you are experiencing a problem. If you have a PC from the big manufactures ie Dell, Compaq etc. it should be a doddle, just go to their website and download the file and follow their instructions.

If not...

***Warning*** This is not for the faint-hearted :D

Here goes.

1. Get a blank formatted floppy disk, make sure you are happy that the disk is 100% reliable!!! (This is very very important)

2. Create a bootable MSDOS bootdisk, go to Command Prompt and type "Format a: /s" (without the " ) or go to http://ftp.euro.dell.com/utility/CDENAB.EXE and run the proggie which does all the hard work for you. Then just delete all but one file "command.com"

3. Download your BIOS file and extract the files if necessary & copy this to the newly created bootdisk.

4. Reboot your computer and run the BIOS update. The commands from here vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, so make sure you read the README.txt file

5. Fingers-crossed all is well and you BIOS is now updated.

Good-Luck! :cool:

Hope this helps.

Feel free to PM me if you are having problems.

Mork.

cheers mate, appreciated. the mobo im usin at the moment is a 98 model gateway lad lol, and im havin bios problems with me hard disks. im just poppin down the pc shop to get sa replacement hd for the one thats buggered then ill give what you said a go, if ive any trouble ill pm ya.

cheers once again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

tell a former Gateway inmate the model like gp6 or gp7-500 and wait for more specific advice I should think.

Gateway bioses are customised for Gateway by Phoenix or someone like that.

M

• Advertisement

its a g6-300 if thats any help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Mork

You will need to check out Gateway's support webbie here & enter your system serial number.

Mork

nice one chief, whered i findme serial numbe?> if ive to open this feckin thing again today ill go nuts

,its ok, have it. cheers man

Advertisement