Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which 802.11b card do you use?

• 05-11-2002 4:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

Which card are you using and on which operating system?
    I would also appreciate a thumbnail review i.e. good points/bad points.
    I'll start the ball rolling:
    2 x Nortel networks E-mobility cards (1xPCI, 1xPCMCIA)
    Until recently running one under W98 and one XP Pro
    Good points - Once connected I never get less than 11Mbps anywhere in the house or garden or even in my neighbour's house two doors up.
    Bad points - WinXP support non existent, Nortel website only geared towards enterprise customers. A little guy like me can't get any help whatsoever without an account number. Since my desktop was changed to XP my cards haven't spoken to each other. Will be converting to W2K (Supported) VERY shortly. HTF can a company sell a relatively new technology without support for the newest O/Ss?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Buffalo AirStation card in an XP laptop and an Windows 2000 workstation. D-Link DWL-500 card in 3 other Windows 2000 workstations. All connecting via an Apple AirPort which connects to an eircom i-Stream solo ADSL line. Not a single problem with it whatsoever.

XP detected the wireless card without any hassle and automatically scanned and picked up the lan without needing any input. Dead handy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Linksys Instant Waireless Card V.3
    http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=22&prid=427
    Good card, rumour has it the Prism 3 chipset is crap but it hasnt given me an hassle. Works great under Win 2k and Linux. Under Linux it can become an AP (using the hostAP driver). Compileing the driver can be a bit of a pain.... The config softare under windows is good, giving all the stats and scan details. Software seems a bit unstable from time to time though.

Buffalo AirStation Card
    http://www.airstation.com/english/products/wli-pcm-l11.html
    Software that comes with it is terrible... the programers should be ashamed of them selfs. In general it functions just as well as any other card, with the added advantage of the "pig-tail" external antena conector. Works great under linux (note for SuSE 8.0 users, there is an error in the config files that tells the kernal to load the wrong module, u will havee to sort that b4 it will work) As mentioned abouve works well with XP (using the built in config tools)

Nokia D211
    http://www.nokia.com/phones/nokiad211/
    Sweet bit of kit.... WLAN, GPRS and GSM/HSCSD. Works great in all modes. As with alot of 80.11b cards it tends to work better with cards of the same make and model then it does with other brand gear. But still a gret bit of kit. Disapointed at the config under Linux i though they might have stuck to the standard WiFi dirver layout that works with all the linux wireless tools, cant complain though coz they included support for all the features of the card under Linux.

SmartBridges AirNic (USB)
    http://www.smartbridges.com/support/airnic.php
    Great bit of kit to have coz of the external antena. The radio in it is very strong and sensetive as well. Iv gotten a 50% signal when any PCMCIA card had lost signal long b4. Config software is execlent as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

dlink DWL-520 PCI. RP-SMA connector, much less fragile than the lucent pigtails, and can be run as an access point in linux.

Orinoco silver pcmcia. Horribly fragile little connector for external antennas, but very good, sensitive card. Same card basically as the other badged lucents.

quozl

Advertisement