Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Boards.ie Quick and Dirty Guide to Driving Licences

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Good link from the oul EU:

The Driving Licence

Shows what is valid across the EU to be just categories (and subcategories of:) A, B, C, D and those categories combined with a trailer (E).

All other categories (for example W and M here in Ireland) are only national categories and are NOT harmonised under EU law, so mutual recognition is not guaranteed. This means for example, that a person legally fully licenced to drive a tractor here, may not automatically be fully licenced to drive a tractor in every other EU member state without passing a driving test there. Most states seem to automatically grant their equivalent of W and M to holders of B licences however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Quick question,
    Anybody know if I pass the test in category EC (articulated truck), will I be automatically entitled to EB (car and trailer over 750kg)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 brianmacd

Yes - I did it last week, no problem, just ring up, pay your money, and it will be done in 2 weeks. You might have to get an eye test and medical report also - not sure, trying to figure that out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 brianmacd

when you apply for it - they will send out the changes in a leaflet, there's around 20 new items, most deal with speed limits, simple stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭lazylad

I done a theory test for car and motorcycle cat B neways. After getting my provisional licence I had M W and B on it so I can remember.

I have a full licence now and I am only B qualified. You gotta do test in what catagory u want full licence in. make sure to get provisonal straight after passin theory otherwise if u leave it run out u gota do it again. the hardship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 dragonfly

Hi I'm new to this message board so I'm not sure if I'm posting this question in the right place but....does anyone know if the law is very strict here in Ireland about first provisional license holders driving unaccompanied on the road? I'm curious about this because I am in the process of getting my long-overdue act together and taking driving lessons but if I am to get enough practice in to pass the test, as it stands I have to rely and wait on my dad to be available to be in the car with me while I do some driving. Just wondering if maybe anyone can clarify? Ta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

Hi guys...

Heres a quick one for you. Ive still got my UK provisional but am moving to Eire in Feb. Will this provisional be sufficient to still drive, or will i need to apply for an irish one? Secondly, will the irish one be treated as my First, or my Second?

Thanks guys, help much appreciated as I have yet to find a definitive answer on this and time is short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

UK provisional means nothing here. You will have to start from scratch here, that means:

-apply for and pass practical test
    -eyesight report
    -apply for provisional licence
    -apply for driving test
    -wait
    -wait
    -wait
    -wait
    -take driving test and hope to fuk you pass 'cause it'll be a long time before you get another one.

If you have time I suggest you try and pass your test before leaving the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

damn i feared as much..... might try and squeeze the test in then, or just travel back to do it in the future.

Cheers for the response mate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

My g/f has a car and has been driving here fully insured on her Finnish driving licence. Since the insurance company didnt bat an eyelid to the non national licience she hasn't got it changed. Is she obliged to get an irish one or is she perfectly legal to continue to drive on her finnish one?

thanks guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

As an EEA licence she can use it till it expires. She can also convert it to an irish permit at any time if she wishes or if its about to expire.

gabhain7 wrote:
    As an EEA licence she can use it till it expires. She can also convert it to an irish permit at any time if she wishes or if its about to expire.

Thanks for your reply

It will not expire until she is 70 years old. So there is obligation for her to change to an irish licence. Also does this means she cannot get penalty points?

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Board@Work wrote:
    Thanks for your reply

It will not expire until she is 70 years old. So there is obligation for her to change to an irish licence. Also does this means she cannot get penalty points?

Thanks again
    Technically, it means points cannot be added to her licence. Points will however be accumulated, and if she ever decides to get an Irish licence, the points will be applied, and will take three years to expire from that date (even if they've been pending for 40 years!). I have no idea what happens if she manages to accumulate 12 points, without them being applied to the licence. I can only imagine that she could still be disqualified (not making any comments on your wife's driving ability, just thinking out loud! :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

kbannon wrote:
    1st provisional lasts for 2 years and the driver must be accompanied when driving at all times by a fully licenced driver.
    2nd porovisional is awarded when the 1st expires. No need for a fully licenced driver beside you. This lasts for two years.
    3rd provisional is awarded after the 2nd expires and you have not passed a driving test. Back to having your ma go out with you when cruising for chicks! Again these last for 2 years and when they expire I think you apply for another 3rd
    See www.oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/provisional_driving_licence.html

Is the 2nd provisional automatically awarded or do I have to apply for it? If my first one expires and I wait say a year before getting a 2nd, do I still get 2 years on the 2nd?

On the applying for a 4th thing, I think you can only apply for additional provisionals if you provide proof that you've applied for/failed a driving test.

seamus wrote:
    Technically, it means points cannot be added to her licence. Points will however be accumulated, and if she ever decides to get an Irish licence, the points will be applied, and will take three years to expire from that date (even if they've been pending for 40 years!). I have no idea what happens if she manages to accumulate 12 points, without them being applied to the licence. I can only imagine that she could still be disqualified (not making any comments on your wife's driving ability, just thinking out loud! :D)

shes my girlfriend.. dont want her getting ideas!!!:D

so there is no incentive for her to trade in the licence that will last for the next 40 odd years to an irish one that she will have to renew every 10 years and pay for that and also get penalty points against her licence!!

Thanks guys. I was worried she might have been breaking the law by not changing her licence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

TommyKAnyone who needs to hold a provisional licence for 19 years has some serious problems and shouldn't be allowed on the road at all!

My mam was on Provisional Licence for 22 years then passed her test for insurance cost rasons when it started getting relly expensive, up until that there was very little cost difference

She's a perfectly good driver but failed twice from nerves. She drove everything from cars to LWB merc Vans and never had an accident

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Hi,
    I need some info regarding getting my provisional licence for a car. I currently have a licence for a work vehicle, which I have held since last year. If I want to get my provisional licence for a car, do I have to send in the form again with a photo etc. and tick the boxes for both categories or what? Will I have to pay the €15(i think thats what it is) charge again? Can I get my current one upgraded?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What is your work vehicle - moped, bike car, tractor...?
    if it is the same category as a car then no, you don't need to submit another application, otherwise then I think you do.

kbannon wrote:
    What is your work vehicle - moped, bike car, tractor...?
    if it is the same category as a car then no, you don't need to submit another application, otherwise then I think you do.
    It's category W(see page 1 of this thread) but I want to get a licence in both categories W and B because I want to be able to drive a work vehicle(W) i.e tractor and car(B). So do I have to re-apply for a licence and pay again?

yup

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote:
    yup
    Thanks for that. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭EyesOnly

Hi all
    past my test afew days ago, just a few Question's

when i send for my full B license can i drive? ie if a garda pulls me what proof do i have of owning a full license??

tnx in advance

make a photocopy of your cert of competency and show the garda that. Your old provisional would still be valid in theory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭EyesOnly

ok thnx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

With regard to getting a licence application pushed through ASAP, is there a general way to do it? I need on in about 6 weeks and I know that its crazy but are there ways and means of doing it?

For example I am willing to go on a cancellation list.
    I have a letter from my boss saying I need one asap.

Anything else I can do? I have sweets to bribe :D

Don't you mean a driving test application not licence application.
    Send the letter in with your application and they will try and squeeze you into a vacant spot (if one exists).

On another note, if someone has an EU but non-Irish Licence they are legally allowed to drive with it. However, when these come for renewal, is it mandatory to go for an Irish licence as you would (presumably) be driving an Irish registered car and paying tax in Ireland, etc., i.e. do you have to renew in the country where you live?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

My provisional license expires next week, just wondering is the Nutgrove Motor Tax Office back open again, or do i have to go into town?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Use the one in clondalkin... :o

Bah the one in town is much closer in that case...............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Go to town :D

• Advertisement

I think the system within the Motor tax Offices is the same for licences as it is for motor tax. You need to have an address within that local authority area for them to deal with you.

I got my first one in nutgrove, and after looking through the threads on here i saw that the office out there was/is closed down for a while. I just wanted to know where i have to go now to get the new one from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

i just wanted to see if anyone could clarify this for me.

my second provisional has expired, so i'm in the process of applying for my driving test. once i get confirmation from them of a date i can then go on and apply for a 3rd provisional can't i?

also, will i get a letter back in a few weeks saying that my date is sometime next year, or will i not get this letter til sometime closer to xmas? just been checking out the website for waiting times and the average is over 40 weeks but most places is over 50 from what i can see. and why are the bloody failure rates so high!

nurse_baz wrote:
    my second provisional has expired, so i'm in the process of applying for my driving test. once i get confirmation from them of a date i can then go on and apply for a 3rd provisional can't i?
    I believe that is correct.
    nurse_baz wrote:
    also, will i get a letter back in a few weeks saying that my date is sometime next year, or will i not get this letter til sometime closer to xmas? just been checking out the website for waiting times and the average is over 40 weeks but most places is over 50 from what i can see.
    Have you received anything from them yet? If you got a receipt but not a date then maybe try phoning them for one. Im sure someone else can give clearer info on what goes on there.
    nurse_baz wrote:
    and why are the bloody failure rates so high!
    because people think it is going to be really difficult and get into a panic?
    because people don't wear short skirts?
    or maybe because they can't drive properly & shouldn't pass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

kbannon wrote:
    or maybe because they can't drive properly & shouldn't pass?

ha ha probably right...scary bit is though that they can all drive home after they failed!

I was just wondering from once you have the form filled up for you provisional licence, can you go into your local council office and get your licence done up straight away rather than waiting ages for it to be sent out??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No, I'm afraid, though allegedly one driving licence office in Cork does/did that...

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

According to local paper all driving tests in Ballina, Co Mayo have been suspended until roadworks in center of town are completed.

Ilovelucy wrote:
    According to local paper all driving tests in Ballina, Co Mayo have been suspended until roadworks in center of town are completed.
    Ya i read about that, what a joke, but that has no relevence to my question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

wasn't answering your question. Ninja already answered your question.

:o Sorry :o I thought you had misread my question or something. So I will have to wait ages for them to post it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

About ten days IME. Hardly a big deal, you'll be driving a long time... why not study the Rules of the Road extra hard in the meantime :)

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

caesar wrote:
    :o Sorry :o I thought you had misread my question or something. So I will have to wait ages for them to post it out.

Yes, you will have to wait, it's proof of address. It's usually posted out in 7 to 10 days. If stopped by the Gardaí, they give you 10 days to produce your licence, you should have received it by then.

Licences will only be handed out over the counter in extreme circumstances, if flying away and need the licence for car rental or a driving test in an hour etc. Any urgent request must be followed with proof, car rental agreement etc.

According to where you've registered your vehicle, or your residence for your licence, you must go to your local authority. Dublin City Council deal with ALL motor tax applications within Dublin. If you live in Celbridge or Maynooth and wish you tax your car, you must apply to Kildare County Council in Naas. No exceptions will be made.

Nutgrove Motor Taxation Office re opened in November 2005.

I noted in posts earlier... with regard to eyesight and medical reports.

Medical reports are required for people with disabilities, over the age of 70 and for those who wish to drive trucks, artics or buses. If you are renewing your licence and wish to have your C and D categories added, you application must be accompanied by a medical report. Medical reports are only valid for one month.

Eyesight reports are required for people who are applying for their first provisional, those who have ticked yes to having to wear lenses, but not previously before. If persons have had eye surgery, and 01 is printed on your licence and you wish to have it removed, an eyesight report is also required. Eyesight reports are valid for three months only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

Adey2002 wrote:
    Eyesight reports are valid for three months only.

I think it's actually 1 month.

(Which is funny because, once it's recorded in the M.T.O., it covers you for the rest of your life unless you produce another to countermand it. :D )

Tommy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've got a standard B/E+B licence which covers trailers, does anyone know if there is a maximum limit on the gross weight and size of the trailer?

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

TommyK wrote:
    I think it's actually 1 month.

(Which is funny because, once it's recorded in the M.T.O., it covers you for the rest of your life unless you produce another to countermand it. :D )

Tommy.

My local office allows for three months on an eyesight report. It allows for people who have little time off work to correct anything that may have delayed their application.

If you need to wear glasses while driving but you didn't when you were applying for your licence ten years ago, you will need to submit a current valid eyesight report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Didn't see this covered here, can a "B" holder apply for a "D" test without sitting the "C" one first, and if so does a "D" license automatically entitle the holder to drive "C" class vehicles ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Longfield wrote:
    Didn't see this covered here, can a "B" holder apply for a "D" test without sitting the "C" one first, and if so does a "D" license automatically entitle the holder to drive "C" class vehicles ?
    Answers:
    1. Yes
    2. No

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 trisha

Does anyone know what the garda would do if they catch a 1st provisional license holder driving by themself?

Depends on the Garda that catches you and what you were doing. If you were driving like a learner, they'd probably arrest you and have you brought to court. At that point you'd be banned for six months, and you'd face ridiculously high premiums for the next five years.

If they just caught you incidentally (i.e at a checkpoint), they may fine you and give you points, or they may just give you a stern talking to. Or if you happen to be the 100th learner they've stopped today they may just take you to court.

• Advertisement
Advertisement