Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Boards.ie Quick and Dirty Guide to Driving Licences

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jebus Christ

Could some one please tell me if i need a c1 license before i aply for a c license?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

Hi all ... I've had my full B driving license for 7 years now and I'm interested in getting an EB license.

I was just wondering has anybody done the EB test and if so what does it entail?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Drift wrote:
    Hi all ... I've had my full B driving license for 7 years now and I'm interested in getting an EB license.

I was just wondering has anybody done the EB test and if so what does it entail?
    Although many motorists hold an EB licence, very few would have done an EB test. Most, like myself, would have got it by default by passing a test in an articulated truck or would have it from the days when it was given out automatically with a car licence. There was a thread here a while back about it but I haven'y been able to locate it.

(Bear in mind that you will be legally required to be accompanied a person with a full EB licence when driving on an EB provisional licence).

Although many motorists hold an EB licence, very few would have done an EB test. Most, like myself, would have got it by default by passing a test in an articulated truck or would have it from the days when it was given out automatically with a car licence. There was a thread here a while back about it but I haven'y been able to locate it.

(Bear in mind that you will be legally required to be accompanied a person with a full EB licence when driving on an EB provisional licence).

Thanks Wishbone I found the thread after some looking:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055135715

I'm alright for the full license holder because both my parents got it back in the day when they did their normal B license test. I should be able to practice on my own to start with a lighter trailer though.

The strange thing is there seems to be very little information out there on an EB test. Thats why I asked here to see if anyone had done it. I've a suspiscion that a lot of people who should have an EB license just go ahead without one.

I'm also wondering is there any specifications on what type of trailer you can do the test with. The requirement for a EB license is an either or situation you don't need one if your trailer has a dgvw of under 750kg or it the combined dgvw of the car+trailer combo is less than 3500kg. So i would assume the test must be carried out using a trailer with a dgvw of over 750kg? or would i get away with using a smaller braked trailer? or do I even need a braked trailer? ..... all questions who's answers I could not find.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.

Drift wrote:
    I'm also wondering is there any specifications on what type of trailer you can do the test with. The requirement for a EB license is an either or situation you don't need one if your trailer has a dgvw of under 750kg or it the combined dgvw of the car+trailer combo is less than 3500kg. So i would assume the test must be carried out using a trailer with a dgvw of over 750kg? or would i get away with using a smaller braked trailer? or do I even need a braked trailer? ..... all questions who's answers I could not find.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.
    The specifications for the trailer are set out in Schedule 7 of Statutory Instrument 352 1999 Road traffic (Licencing of Drivers) Regulations 1999.

EB

A combination, made up of a category B test vehicle with trailer, capable of a speed of at least 100 km/h, which should be either—

(a) a 4 wheel drive vehicle and trailer, or

(b) a vehicle with a minimum length of at least 4.25 metres and trailer.

The trailer used shall have a design gross vehicle weight of at least 1,400 kg and have internal dimensions of at least 2.4 metres x 1.2 metres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

originally posted in Com & transport

Hi, have googled this etc but cannot seem to find an answer.

I have a full licence, my partner is on her 3rd provisional.
    As per the rules she has to be accompanied by a qualified driver at all times.

Ok, that's fine but...

what if we go to a pub, I have a few drinks (say 3 pints for argument) & she drives home with me in the passenger seat.
    Now, she is accompanied by a qualified driver, but one that cannot drive the car due to consumption of alcohol.

If the Gardai stop her and ask to see her licence what is the position when she / I am asked about a full licence.

I cannot find anything to say the qualified driver should be in a fit state to drive the car.

On here it says that:
    Car drivers with a provisional licence must be accompanied at all times by, and under the supervision of, a person with a current full driving licence to drive a car.

I cannot find anything to say you cannot supervise someone after having a few drinks (and yes I do realise that "common sense" may suggest otherwise) but having had the sense to have a designated driver is there any way that she could be charged for driving unaccompanied ?

BTW, this hasn't happened - I'm just throwing this out for discussion.

If anyone has more info on the above position please reply to this post.

thanks

PS - FYI for those of you on 1st / 3rd prov:
    I was asked a few mths back (while driving on my own) whether I was on my 2nd prov (the actual question was "I assume you are on your 2nd prov?" )

When I said I had a full they asked why I had the L-plates so I said it was for the other half.
    strange they didn't ask to see the full licence tho :confused:

i have always wondered this, i presume the fully licensed driver would have to be competant and therefore not drunk, but im open to correction!! anyone know for sure?

timmywex wrote:
    i have always wondered this, i presume the fully licensed driver would have to be competant and therefore not drunk, but im open to correction!! anyone know for sure?
    Yes, the accompanied driver must be capable of taking over the driving at any time.

(PS - that post is 8 months old!)

The specifications for the trailer are set out in Schedule 7 of Statutory Instrument 352 1999 Road traffic (Licencing of Drivers) Regulations 1999.

EB

A combination, made up of a category B test vehicle with trailer, capable of a speed of at least 100 km/h, which should be either—

(a) a 4 wheel drive vehicle and trailer, or

(b) a vehicle with a minimum length of at least 4.25 metres and trailer.

The trailer used shall have a design gross vehicle weight of at least 1,400 kg and have internal dimensions of at least 2.4 metres x 1.2 metres.

Thanks Wishbone, that clears things up a good bit.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

There are no facilities here for testing for category D+E. If you have a full licence for category D and wish to apply for a provisional licence in D+E, they are compelled to give you a full licence. That's how I got my D+E :).

As always, I'm open to correction. :)

I'm curious about this. Did you have a C+E licence prior to this?

macplaxton wrote: »
    I'm curious about this. Did you have a C+E licence prior to this?
    Yes.

On mature reflection I may have been mistaken. (That quote is from October 2006 and was prior to me becoming the Learning to Drive Moderator).

I had the articulated truck licence and a bus licence. When I enquired about applying for a bus and trailer test I was told that they don't do it but issue the licence to those who have the artic and bus licence. That seems to have been wrong information but, in saying that, I've never heard of anyone doing the DE test.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Ah, I see. Staging and upgrading of licences. C+E upgrades all the other categories held to E. Thanks.

macplaxton wrote: »
    Ah, I see. Staging and upgrading of licences. C+E upgrades all the other categories held to E. Thanks.
    Yup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭tommylizard

excuse my ignorance but i assume there's a different theory test for each category yes? if so, where do you pick up the manual for the D class theory test?

if anyone has sat this test could they perhaps let us know what it's like difficulty-wise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Any theory test book I've seen has included the questions for the class C & D tests. I'm not sure about the official one, but I'd be surprised if it didn't.

excuse my ignorance but i assume there's a different theory test for each category yes? if so, where do you pick up the manual for the D class theory test?

if anyone has sat this test could they perhaps let us know what it's like difficulty-wise?
    There are 4 Theory Tests:

1. A A1 M
    2. B BE W
    3. C C1 CE CE1
    4. D D1 DE DE1

The standard Official Driver theory Test book covers all options. Category D is at the very rear and colour coded orange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 thejockey06

OK, this is word for word what it says in the Dept. of the Environment's 'Rules of the Road' booklet, printed in Feb 2002 (picked up in Easons for €2.50):

A person without any driving experience may apply for a provisional licence for categories A1, B, C1 or W only.

A provisional licence for category A will be granted only to a person who holds a driving licence for category A1 (motorcycle not over 125cc) and who has held such a licence for at least two years. This restriction does not apply to persons of 25 years of age or over.

Oasis.gov.ie on the other hand says you can get an 'A' licence for your first provo.

Does anyone know for absolutely sure what exactly the craic is?[/quote]

on page 15 of the RotR booklet it states in the chart that a cat.A licence does no require previous experience on a cat. A1 licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

OK, this is word for word what it says in the Dept. of the Environment's 'Rules of the Road' booklet, printed in Feb 2002 (picked up in Easons for €2.50):

A person without any driving experience may apply for a provisional licence for categories A1, B, C1 or W only.

A provisional licence for category A will be granted only to a person who holds a driving licence for category A1 (motorcycle not over 125cc) and who has held such a licence for at least two years. This restriction does not apply to persons of 25 years of age or over.

That was the law all right - until 1999...

Edit: the question you quoted was asked in 2002 :rolleyes:

Scrap the cap!

ninja900 wrote: »
    That was the law all right - until 1999...

Edit: the question you quoted was asked in 2002 :rolleyes:

the extract you posted from my reply was a quote from someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

So, I had a provisional license when I was younger and drove a little, but I never renewed it. It's now 11 years later (:o) and I want to go for the test.
    Does anybody know if I have to go for this learner's permit thing or can I get a second provisional?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You would be getting a second Learner Permit. They are no longer issuing provisional licenses.

• Advertisement

Question for ya's....

Filling out the learner permit application......

am i right in saying i must have a full cat B before getting a EB??

And ill be getting a W aswell, will that become a full W when i pass my car test or is it a seperate test?

Thanks

So, I had a provisional license when I was younger and drove a little, but I never renewed it. It's now 11 years later (:o) and I want to go for the test.
    Does anybody know if I have to go for this learner's permit thing or can I get a second provisional?

Thanks.
    If more than 5 years have elapsed since the valid date of the previous provisional licence, it's back to square one.

You will have to apply for, and pass a theory test and then apply for a 1st Learner Permit.

timmywex wrote: »
    Question for ya's....

Filling out the learner permit application......

am i right in saying i must have a full cat B before getting a EB??
    Yes, with the exception of category W, one cannot apply for any trailer category without first having a Driving Licence in the towing vehicle.
    timmywex wrote:
    And ill be getting a W aswell, will that become a full W when i pass my car test or is it a seperate test?
    Yes, there is only a seperate test if one applies for a W Learner Permit only (e.g. a 16 year old) or in the very unlikely event that one wishes to have a W Licence without a B Licence.

If more than 5 years have elapsed since the valid date of the previous provisional licence, it's back to square one.

You will have to apply for, and pass a theory test and then apply for a 1st Learner Permit.

Woops. Did not know that. Apologies.

Thanks for the ultra quik reply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 markkkenna

Hi, im 16 looking into getting some motorcycle or another could somebody tell me what type of moped i can get, what do i need to do with regards to licences how much roughly tax and insurance will be????have been flickin round google but still very confused.

Thanks a mil
    Mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

Crumbs. Tis as I feared.

Thanks, Wishbone.

markkkenna wrote: »
    Hi, im 16 looking into getting some motorcycle or another could somebody tell me what type of moped i can get, what do i need to do with regards to licences how much roughly tax and insurance will be????have been flickin round google but still very confused.

Thanks a mil
    Mark
    At 16 years of age, you may only apply for a Learner Permit in categories M and W.

Before applying for a category M Learner Permit, you will have to apply for, and pass a category AM Theory Test first.( www.dtts.ie )

You will be restricted to a bike of less than 50cc and not capable of exceeding 45kph.

I think the annual motor tax on a moped is €15. Insurance would depend on your circumstances.

Would he not be entitled to an A1 Permit as well ie, a license restricted to 125cc or 11Kw i believe?

• Advertisement

Would he not be entitled to an A1 Permit as well ie, a license restricted to 125cc or 11Kw i believe?
    Yes, apologies.

(I don't really know why there is an M category if a 16 year old can get an A1 which would automatically cover M bikes. :confused:)

(EDIT: now that I think about it, wasn't it possible to get an M by default with a category B until a few years ago but an A1 required a seperate test?)

When you passed your B, license you automatically got a M license. This was discontinued in late 2006 i believe? So now the M license is kind of left on its own. Yes, the A1 needs it's own test. It's a bit messy alright

he would indeed.
    125cc with a max design speed of over 45km/h.

Yes, apologies.

(I don't really know why there is an M category if a 16 year old can get an A1 which would automatically cover M bikes. :confused:)

(EDIT: now that I think about it, wasn't it possible to get an M by default with a category B until a few years ago but an A1 required a seperate test?)

a moped has a max design speed of less than 45km/h
    small motorbikes over 45km/h

a moped has a max design speed of less than 45km/h
    small motorbikes over 45km/h
    It still seems a pointless category now, as I presume that an A1 licence would automatically cover mopeds also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It still seems a pointless category now, as I presume that an A1 licence would automatically cover mopeds also.

Problem is that they can't really abolish M, because of the people who got it 'for free' by passing the car test. They can't take their moped entitlement away, but giving them a full A1 entitlement would be ridiculous.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

ninja900 wrote: »
    Problem is that they can't really abolish M, because of the people who got it 'for free' by passing the car test. They can't take their moped entitlement away, but giving them a full A1 entitlement would be ridiculous.
    Of course, yes, I didn't think of that. Thanks. :)

Bump....

This was slipping down out of sight...

a very handy thread, any chance of getting it stickied?

On another note, when i pass my B test, assuming i do, how do i get a full EB, do i just apply and i suddenly get it? or do i have to get the learner permit for EB and then sit the driving test in EB?

any chance of getting it stickied?
    In an ideal world it wouldn't be a problem but if there are too many stickies, it fills up the front page and therefore less 'live' threads are visible. Many people tend to check the first page only and therefore, many other helpful threads may be missed.

I think we have too many stickies as it is.

when i pass my B test, assuming i do, how do i get a full EB, do i just apply and i suddenly get it? or do i have to get the learner permit for EB and then sit the driving test in EB?
    Learner Permit first and then test in a category B vehicle with appropriate trailer. You would also be legally required to be accompanied by a person who has an EB Driving Licence and has held it for 2 years.

In an ideal world it wouldn't be a problem but if there are too many stickies, it fills up the front page and therefore less 'live' threads are visible. Many people tend to check the first page only and therefore, many other helpful threads may be missed.

I think we have too many stickies as it is.

+1, the front page is quite cluttered as it is. I think we have the essentials covered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

i still think, categories and their meanings should be stickied, perhaps we could simply do it under an already existing sticky!!! and add reference to the title (if there's room).

electron wrote: »
    i still think, categories and their meanings should be stickied, perhaps we could simply do it under an already existing sticky!!! and add reference to the title (if there's room).

The only trouble with this thread is that it was started in 2002, things have changed significantly since then, so it might stand to confuse others if i link to it in one of the current stickies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

yes but what i meant was just a basic overview... of how things are now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

Could some one please tell me if i need a c1 license before i aply for a c license?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
    Nope, you can skip to A1, A, C or D without doing M, A1, C1 or D1 respectively. It took me ages to figure out why the differences exist but I think it's to stop people going in doing the test in a transit minibus, then gettin a job driving double-deckers!

It's like how if you do your B test in an automatic, you can't drive a manual till you do it again in a manual, but there's nothing to stop you starting in a manual in the first place if you can do it.

The only catch is that you can't do your C (truck) test in a C1 (large van) vehicle. It has to be over 7500 kg.
    (I don't really know why there is an M category if a 16 year old can get an A1 which would automatically cover M bikes. )
    Like I said, it's all about the power! ;)

Richie15 wrote: »
    if you do your B test in an automatic, you can't drive a manual till you do it again in a manual
    There's nothing to prevent anyone with a restricted auto licence from driving a similar vehicle with manual transmission once they have an appropriate Learner Permit and are accompanied (if applicable).

There's nothing to prevent anyone with a restricted auto licence from driving a similar vehicle with manual transmission once they have an appropriate Learner Permit and are accompanied (if applicable).
    Oh yeh, forgot to mention that. What I meant is that your full licence wont cover you.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭SourKraut

seamus wrote: »
    There are 3 separate theory tests:

One for cats. M, W, A1, A & B.

One for cats. C1, C.

One for cats. D1, D.

If you have not previously done a theory test and wish to apply for a new provisional licence (not a renewal) you must do one. E.g. If you wish to get a prov. A licence, but hold a full B licence, you must still do a theory test.

Only people who hold a full licence in cat. B may apply for a provisional licence in cats. C1, C, D1, or D.

right, so I'm thinking of getting a big campervan, over 3.5 tons but don't have a C/C1 license

Thing is, I have a full B, and my wife has a C1 (she ticked the boxes back in the days when you could just do that.)

So can I get a provisional C1 and drive my large van, as long as she's there with me? (even though she's never actually driven one herself)

do EU polizei and gendarmerie know about Irish provisional licenses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

SourKraut wrote: »

do EU polizei and gendarmerie know about Irish provisional licenses?

Learner Permits (i.e. previously known as Provisional Licences) are only valid in Ireland - remember they are a 'permit' to enable you to learn how to drive, not a licence. They are not recognised anywhere else so you cant drive in Europe on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭SourKraut

DriveSkill wrote: »
    Learner Permits (i.e. previously known as Provisional Licences) are only valid in Ireland - remember they are a 'permit' to enable you to learn how to drive, not a licence. They are not recognised anywhere else so you cant drive in Europe on them.

Makes sense, thanks for the reply

SourKraut wrote: »
    right, so I'm thinking of getting a big campervan, over 3.5 tons but don't have a C/C1 license

Thing is, I have a full B, and my wife has a C1 (she ticked the boxes back in the days when you could just do that.)

So can I get a provisional C1 and drive my large van, as long as she's there with me? (even though she's never actually driven one herself)
    You'll have to do a theory test and medical, but there's nothing stopping you getting the C or C1 licence (as long as you've a full B and are over 18).

As for driving it, I don't know how easy it is to get insured with a provisional but your licence would cover you as long as you have a full driver with you, yeh.

But don't forget you can't leave the country in it - even to go up North - unless you pass your test, have your wife drive, or have the vehicle re-classed as being 3500kg or less.

• Advertisement
Advertisement