Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Boards.ie Quick and Dirty Guide to Driving Licences

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭SourKraut

Cheers

I've since changed plans and will get a van that's been reclassified as 3500kg. cheaper tax as well as the license hassle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Possibly a stupid question but...

I'm learning to drive a car, but owning a car is some way off, so I'm going to learn and use a moped in the meantime. I know there are separate theory tests for cars and bikes, but do I have to apply for seperate Learner Permits, or can I just tick all the categories that apply?

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Possibly a stupid question but...

I'm learning to drive a car, but owning a car is some way off, so I'm going to learn and use a moped in the meantime. I know there are separate theory tests for cars and bikes, but do I have to apply for seperate Learner Permits, or can I just tick all the categories that apply?

:D

If you have the relevant theory test certs for A and B then you just end up with one Learner permit with both categories on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

owning a car is some way off
    DriveSkill wrote: »
    you just end up with one Learner permit with both categories on it.
    That can cause problems though if the applicant goes through two Learner Permits with A and B. Suppose they pass category A and wish to renew the 2nd Learner Permit in B. They will then be applying for a 3rd Learner Permit in that category which requires proof of having applied for a test in category B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

That can cause problems though if the applicant goes through two Learner Permits with A and B. Suppose they pass category A and wish to renew the 2nd Learner Permit in B. They will then be applying for a 3rd Learner Permit in that category which requires proof of having applied for a test in category B.
    I did this the opposite way around, there was still time left on my A permit when I passed my B test so when I applied for another and they gave me one that's valid as long as the other one.Gave me back the permit I had but without the car, basically.

It was (and still is, even though it's a new piece of paper) my first A permit but my second A1 and M so does that mean my next one (if I don't pass my A test in the meantime) will have A but not the categories that A automatically entitles me to? That'd be strange...

Richie15 wrote: »
    It was (and still is, even though it's a new piece of paper) my first A permit but my second A1 and M so does that mean my next one (if I don't pass my A test in the meantime) will have A but not the categories that A automatically entitles me to? That'd be strange...
    Wouldn't your next Learner Permit (if you don't pass the A test) have A, A1 and M listed with the relevant code numbers to show which permit in each category?

EDIT: Sorry I see what you mean now. It would be you 3rd permit in A1 and M and you would have to show evidence of doing or applying for a test. Presumably then, it would only be issued for one year.

Wouldn't your next Learner Permit (if you don't pass the A test) have A, A1 and M listed with the relevant code numbers to show which permit in each category?

EDIT: Sorry I see what you mean now. It would be you 3rd permit in A1 and M and you would have to show evidence of doing or applying for a test. Presumably then, it would only be issued for one year.
    But I mean if I don't get around to doing a test at all in the next year or so. I've never ridden a bike in my life, so there's two hopes of getting one and reaching a high enough standard for the test in that time - no hope and Bob Hope (and Bob's no longer with us). So I could still get a new A permit at that stage, which would still cover me for an A1 and M bike, but those wouldn't be marked on the licence unless I pass my test (or wait 6 years and get a new "first" one).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 brianmahon12

I am 21 and wanna start riding a bike. i have a full B licence. does that entitle me to ride a bike <125cc?? and then i do my test or do i have to apply for an A1 or A learner permit??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I am 21 and wanna start riding a bike. i have a full B licence. does that entitle me to ride a bike <125cc?? and then i do my test or do i have to apply for an A1 or A learner permit??
    You have to do a theory test for the A category and then apply for a learner's permit for the A class.
    A car licence doesn't entitle you to drive a bike.

Don't bother applying for the A1 licence/permit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 brianmahon12

seamus wrote: »
    You have to do a theory test for the A category and then apply for a learner's permit for the A class.
    A car licence doesn't entitle you to drive a bike.

Don't bother applying for the A1 licence/permit.
    oh right. cheere. its just i thought when i was doing my theory test before it covered for A1, A, M, W, and B. If was going to buy a bike (which wouldnt be for a while yet) should i get a restricted 250cc or just get a 125cc????

Why not just get a regular 250? That way you can do your A test. If you do your test on a bike under 125cc, you'll be restricted to them until you do the test again on a bigger one.

It does have to be under 25KW though, that applies until two years after you get your full licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Possbily a silly question but,

The cert of comptency for a car test includes b, m and w, i think?
    Dows that mean i can apply for a full m license even if its not currectly on my learner permit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭HighlyCooL

if one has a full B, C, D and does the E+C test does that cover them to drive a B and D with a trailer too. or will i have to go off and do E+D to to cover the bus? i know it used to be the case where if you passed EC you were covered for them all but is that still the case

HighlyCooL wrote: »
    if one has a full B, C, D and does the E+C test does that cover them to drive a B and D with a trailer too.

Yep.
    ...or will i have to go off and do E+D to to cover the bus?

There is no ED test, the ED licence can only be got by passing the D and EC tests.

• Advertisement

Yep.

There is no ED test, the ED licence can only be got by passing the D and EC tests.

and your 100% sure of this?!

thats great im only 3 tests way form a full full licence so. and hopefully 2 by this time next month!

and your 100% sure of this?!

Well I refuse to use the D-word ("definitely"), it always gets me in trouble, but I will provide a link to my source and its disclaimer.
    The applicant holds a driving licence in respect of vehicles in category D and -
    (a) the application is accompanied by a certificate of competency in respect of vehicles in category EC, or
    (b) the applicant holds a driving licence in respect of vehicles in category EC.

I think this technically means you have to have the D licence (not just certificate of competence) before you can apply, so if you pass the EC test first then the D you'd have to apply for a D licence, wait for it to come in the post, then apply for an ED. But I don't know if this is enforced, I'd say they'd give it to you with a certificate of competence.
    thats great im only 3 tests way form a full full licence so. and hopefully 2 by this time next month!

That's my ultimate aim too. So far I've only done the car so you've one up on me. Hoping to get the truck sorted in time to avoid a CPC.

I think this technically means you have to have the D licence (not just certificate of competence) before you can apply, so if you pass the EC test first then the D you'd have to apply for a D licence, wait for it to come in the post, then apply for an ED. But I don't know if this is enforced, I'd say they'd give it to you with a certificate of competence.
    That's my ultimate aim too. So far I've only done the car so you've one up on me. Hoping to get the truck sorted in time to avoid a CPC.

yeah the d word is a problem every where. I think nothing in the RSA is definite or to be more correct.... Subject to change! Well my plan is to get the D test before the end of the summer and funds permitting the EC before 2010 but well see how it goes. Personal the CPC is a joke, i got by the truck one, but still have to do the 35 hours. the question is when are these clases and whats the story with them, does any one even know what the story is with the practical test that you do with your driving test. im still toying with the idea of doing the theory tests for the bus, because whats the point in a D licence with out being able to carry passengers. but its about 172 euro i think. a money making racket or what!

best of luck with your quest for the full licence. are you going for the Bike aswell Richie15? have my test in 29 days, havent a clue what to expect. but all i can do is try!

The 35 hours every five years (don't know why they don't just say one 7-hour day per year, since you have to do it that way anyway) is just a matter of booking the course with an approved provider. There's no test or anything. I wouldn't be too bothered about the test, it's the extra €150 or so I'm trying to avoid. Check out the CPC section on the RSA website.

Thanks, good luck to you too! Yeh gonna go for the bike too, hopefully by the time my LP runs out in September next year but it's only my first so no worries if I don't make it. Cat C is a bigger priority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 jc07 4lyf

Silly question thats been annoying me for ages,

i have a full license for cat B, im applying for a learner permit for cat C, truck, do i get an entirely different learner permit or is cat c just added to my full license with restrictions 991 and 999 or something?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

And, just to add that any additional category/categories added to the Driving Licence will expire and and require renewal when the first category on that Driving Licence expires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

Hi,

I've a full driving licence, and have just changed address -- looking at citizensinformation.ie I see that it is "advisable" to change the address on my driving licence (though not a requirement). To do that involves posting my existing licence to the City Council, and they'll post me back a new one, right?

If I do that, that means I'll be without a licence for however long it takes for them to send me the new licence -- as under the recent law change you are legally required to bring your licence with you at all times, does that mean that my car will just have to sit on the driveway for a couple of weeks?

What're the benefits of changing the address on the licence?

Many thanks!

To do that involves posting my existing licence to the City Council, and they'll post me back a new one, right?
    Yes (or you could go to the MTO in person and they'll issue you with a receipt).

You could also get the front and back of the Licence photocopied and keep it in the glove box if required.
    under the recent law change you are legally required to bring your licence with you at all times
    There are several legitimate reasons why a person may not have their licence with them, e.g exchanging a learner permit for a Full Licence, applying for a new Licence, adding a driving category to an existing Licence, change of name etc.) The Gardai understand this. If you do not have it with you, you may be asked to "produce it at you local Garda Station" at a later date. Those Gardai may then check to see if the licence was valid for the date you were asked for it.

(If the Gardai really wanted to know if you had a valid licence at a checkpoint, they could radio back to control with your details and request a check on the PULSE system).
    What're the benefits of changing the address on the licence?
    For valid identifiction purposes I suppose.

Advertisement