Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EsatBT Surf No Limits ISDN

Options
  • 05-11-2002 2:03pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ive been using Surf No Limits for the past 2 years and it was to my understanding that this has always been a 56k modem service but yesterday i decided to try it a few times on ISDN and it worked every time. I wonder how long has it been like this, hope it stays like this, my downloads were as good as to be expected on ISDN and the pings to UK games servers where as good as Oceanfree, got around 38-65 on UK Game servers using EsatBT Surf No Limits thru my ISDN line. Is there a 120 hour limit on SNL similar to their netsmart offer or can I stay logged on constantly during the offpeak hours?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

Wow, this is excellent..
    Just after dialing in now with my ISDN TA..
    I had threatened to move to UTV because of their lack of support for ISDN on No Limits..
    Hopefully they'll keep it like this...
    Well done EsatBT!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

'well done'????????????????????????

If it's a mistake on their behalf you may find that it doesn't work tomorrow.

However, I too am on SNL and will now investigate the ISDN option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Perhaps they finally chucked out their old analogue modems...

If it's a mistake on their behalf you may find that it doesn't work tomorrow.

Very true, fingers crossed it'll stay..

I can't see any major drawback for them allowing ISDN connections. The call costs are the same for them either way. What is required extra at their end? Just a TA instead of a modem is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

maybe this has something to do with net smart when they enabled that for isdn nolimits might of been enabled at the same time
    i cant get it working though cos i cant get my TA to use the right line to dial out :(

• Advertisement

Originally posted by tuxx
    maybe this has something to do with net smart when they enabled that for isdn nolimits might of been enabled at the same time
    i cant get it working though cos i cant get my TA to use the right line to dial out :(

What model/brand TA do you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

More info! More info! I'm on nolimits too, stuck in the wilderness of the wicklow mountains and dying for more bandwidth! Sad and all as it is, I'd upgrade to ISDN if I knew nolimits will support it.

<daydream> Ah yes dual channel, 128K and a no cost dial up number.... ahhhhh </daydream>

Gonzo - there is not a limit as such but as many users found out last year, you will be kicked permantly for "time online" abuse.

Dizz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by David C
    What is required extra at their end? Just a TA instead of a modem is it?
    AFAIK modern ports will do it all - they need a digital input anyway at their end to pull off the v.90 trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by David C
    What model/brand TA do you have?

its unbranded :( but i think it uses a asuscom chipset

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

I spoke with the EsatBT guys during their pennance at the Ideal Homes Expo in the RDS.

Their rep informed me that ISDN was indeed available for their Netsmart accounts. One would assume that its the same physical hardware that they use to validate the Remaining SNL customers, so there shouldnt be any reason why this shouldnt work.

In other news he also said that there will be a full flatrate option in place by January.
    Didnt say which January tho :D

• Advertisement

Gonzo: Can you do dual channel or is it just single 64K channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Its just single channel for SNL.

If you need dual channel I believe oceanfree supports it now.

Well well well - I've had two interesting converstions with eircom and esat today. Firstly, yes, esal nolimits will support ISDN (single channel only) and will do so. Secondly I was on to eircom and wile having my line upgraded to ISDN, I was informed that by March 2003 _all_ telephone exchanges will be converted to (A)DSL and that all these exchanges will interoperate with ISDN, meaning no requirement to downgrade your line before having (A)DSL installed! Now March 2003? Here's me hoping!

Dizz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Synkronite

Just rang Esat Internet Tech Support (1890-923111) and Esat Internet Sales (1800-923111)..

ISDN is supported on Esat Netsmart.. however not on SNL. Asked tech support the same, they said it wasnt supported nor is the hardware used by SNL and Netsmart the same. The sales guy gave me a funny answer "SNL is so old I doubt it supports digital".

Oh well, I wont order ISDN until I get confirmation of this from more people :(

*fingers crossed*

(As they already are for ADSL)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Synkronite

Just read Dizz' post- Im going to follow up on this and order ISDN straight away then. Also A(DSL) compatible with ISDN lines without the need to downgrading is excellent news.

Here's to broadband in March 2003 :D

Just done the same here too, Synkronite :)

Dizz

That's good to know..
    I regretted getting ISDN after finding out that I would have to pay extra to downgrade before getting ADSL.
    Really happy with the extra bit of speed, connecting to SNL now takes less than 2 seconds..
    Songs download at an average 6.9k/s rather than 4.2k/s on analogue.

When EsatBT upgrade my exchange for ADSL, i'll probably get the 256k service unless the price of 512k drops in the mean time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

*doesnt work for me* asuscom ta, error 676 the phone line is busy. should i ringem up? im afraid i'll get "yeah sorry you need to get netsmart" >:|

saik: read above - give SNL a buzz - I even got the gal on the other end to check for sure and she said ISDN for SNL = yes!

Dizz

You have to select from channel 0 or 1.. one is the original number you signed up to the service on...
    To do this you need to have the correct drivers for your TA and then select the channel in dial up networking..

If all else fails.. try taking the phone off the hook when it is plugged into the analogue port of the *new* number. If you're not sure which one is the new line, try both.
    Then try and use your TA to connect with the phone off the hook.

This should force the TA to use the *Old* number, which you registered with Esat when you signed up..

Once you've connected, you can replace the handset and continue surfing...

Let me know if you have any luck...

• Advertisement

Here's a screen grab to illustrate the driver selection on my particular TA (Eicon Diva)..

I select "Eicon Channel 0" for my old line. This works on SNL.

If I select "Eicon Channel 1" then I get Line Busy when dialing up SNL as it's the new number.

The "Tornado" at the end is just my analogue modem..

yah tried that different line thing, had the same idea about the "phone off the hook thing" was too lazy to try it kast night, tried it today, no joy. tried win2k and ME too. no luck tall at all.
    maybe it's cos i'm living in newbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Try dialing your mobile phone and make sure its giving the correct caller ID number, i.e. the one you signed up to SNL with.

Your dialing the same equpiment wherever you are in the country so where you live shouldnt make a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

This is such good news. It means I don't have to sign up with UTV after all!! \o/

Although it seems I have to pay a fee of €15 as I signed up for it on Nov. 1 and it costs them money to set it up etc.

It's better than paying €90 for three months though :)

lo ta for help, tried that, said private number on my mobile :<
    ringing tech support wasnt much help :D

Put 142 in front of the number to alow the Caller ID then..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

this sounds great

how much does getting your line converted to isdn cost?
    how long does it take Eircom to do it? (long time i expect, i am living on southside)
    i read its single channel isdn, that means while im online the phone can use the other channel, right

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Connection Charge:
    €119.99

Monthy Rental:
    €37.50

Draytek TA:
    €99.95

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

thanks for the info irishbyte

connection charge is a ripoff but payable, that includes installation and all ?

monthly rental makes me angry, does it rental replace the current monthly rental of my analogue line?

and the Draytek TA is an isdn modem?

• Advertisement

The monthly rental replaces your old line rental..
    It works out cheaper than two analogue lines since they reduced it a few months back so it's not too bad..

You use a TA instead of a modem for connecting.
    I wouldn't buy the TA off Eircom.. there's cheaper better adapters available elsewhere..
    I've got the Eicon Diva... €70 @ Komplett:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=2156&t=402&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=12&GrpID=1&s=pl

Advertisement