Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Decoder Box

Options
  • 05-11-2002 2:07pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This may of been discussed before but bear with me.

Is there anyway of making NTL's decoder box (non-digital service) give a stereo sound. From the manual it says that this can be achieved using a scart lead that splits into 2 so you can attach to both the video and audio connections at the back.

Any ideas

Hyzepher

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

If the box output stereo sound through the scart socket it will be possible.

If you have a stereo TV this should automatically happen. If not you will need a stereo system that has a left and right input. Once you have this you will need to get a scart - 3 phono connector. You also may need a scart adaptor. Plug the yellow wire into the scart adaptor and plug that into the TV. Then plug the white and red phonos into the inputs on the stereo.

Note: There will be no sound sent to the TV so you will have to use the stereo all of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I'm sceptical that the box actually has "Stereo"
    Connect 'Scope or sound card upto scart and see if Left and Right ever change relationship.

Someone says Anlog NTL in some areas has Nicam. In such case the box is unlikely to have a Nicam decoder. Analog Satellite has stereo (sometimes). Analog Cable very rare. If the Box is a Pace, then the manual is referring to orginal Analog Satellite application.

You can get an Inline SCART plug/socket with Left & right RCA/Phono for HiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Scon

Originally posted by watty
    I'm sceptical that the box actually has "Stereo"
    Connect 'Scope or sound card upto scart and see if Left and Right ever change relationship.

Someone says Anlog NTL in some areas has Nicam. In such case the box is unlikely to have a Nicam decoder. Analog Satellite has stereo (sometimes). Analog Cable very rare. If the Box is a Pace, then the manual is referring to orginal Analog Satellite application.

You can get an Inline SCART plug/socket with Left & right RCA/Phono for HiFi.

The NTL Pace box does have stereo. We had a long conversation with NTL staff on the phone about this. The first guy laughed saying he'd no idea and had never been asked before.
    We were setting up all our stuff (DVD etc) daisy chaining them with scarts. A scart lead is running from the PACE digibox to our amplifier and we are getting stereo sound.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Thanks for the help guys

The decoder is a Pace but I think getting Stereo sound is a non runner

Hyzepher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Frameless

Originally posted by Scon
    The NTL Pace box does have stereo. We had a long conversation with NTL staff on the phone about this. The first guy laughed saying he'd no idea and had never been asked before.
    We were setting up all our stuff (DVD etc) daisy chaining them with scarts. A scart lead is running from the PACE digibox to our amplifier and we are getting stereo sound.

:o If you're using the ANALOGUE NTL box on cable in Dublin the NiCam can ONLY be received via the UHF RF output. All channels are broadcast in Nicam. Just tune to the UHF output of the decoder on your TV (not the SCART) and watch the NiCam indicator light up!

THERE IS NO STEREO ON THE SCART OUTPUT OF THE BOX.
    If you're on MMDS forget it - no Stereo.

It's the reverse with the Digital package. Stereo is supplied on the SCART output only.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Thanks for the info - Frameless

Hyzepher

I think "Frameless" has it right. Except the Nicam is probabily by "accident" rather than design, simply passing through the receiver and modulator as part of the video (The analog box has no Nicam capability at all).

Digital "anything system" (DTT, Satellite, D-MMDS, Digital Cable) NEVER EVER uses Nicam. Modulators are NEVER Nicam, so Stereo VHS on replay (VHS might have NICAM analog tuner, but uses a different system to record stereo), Digibox, NTL Digital Cable box, Sagem Digital MMDs or Pace Freeview DTT can only ever output setero on SCART or RCA/Phono (L-R) plugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Scon

Originally posted by Frameless
    :o If you're using the ANALOGUE NTL box on cable in Dublin the NiCam can ONLY be received via the UHF RF output. All channels are broadcast in Nicam. Just tune to the UHF output of the decoder on your TV (not the SCART) and watch the NiCam indicator light up!

THERE IS NO STEREO ON THE SCART OUTPUT OF THE BOX.
    If you're on MMDS forget it - no Stereo.

It's the reverse with the Digital package. Stereo is supplied on the SCART output only.

Good luck!

Thanks for the help, but.... my point was I have stereo already and wasn't asking for any help on that. My post was to help the original poster. I'm using a digibox and this is why I get stereo from the scarts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Frameless

Originally posted by Scon
    Thanks for the help, but.... my point was I have stereo already and wasn't asking for any help on that. My post was to help the original poster. I'm using a digibox and this is why I get stereo from the scarts.
    :D

:D Spot on Watty. That's exactly what happens, as the box does not possess a NiCam encoder. The audio subcarrier is routed through to the UHF modulator where it appears on the RF output, and - voila - the NiCam appears on the TV or VCR itself. A hell of a lot handier than the normala arrangement.....pity the new Digiboxes don't do the same.

Originally posted by Frameless
    :D

:D .....pity the new Digiboxes don't do the same.
    They can't as only Terrestrial Analog transmission has Digital Nicam Audio.

DTT, D-MMDS, D-Cable and Digital Satellite all use Mpeg2 video on a stream and a separate stream usually of MPEG1 Layer 2 audio. Dolby 5.1 when transmitted is a separate stream again. The streams are sort of TCP/IP multicast.

Any DIGITAL reception box / decoder thus can only output SCART/RCA stereo. Or possibly RCA/SPID/Optical audio data. Without the £2000 Nicam coder, the RF outlet can only have mono (analog 6MHz or 6.5MHz FM depending on country).

Ironically NICAM piggy packed on the Analog Video signal can be higher quality than some of the Sky Digibox "Radio" stations!

• Advertisement
Advertisement