Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

He Is Gone

• 05-11-2002 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Comments

oh jases great tom jones is flying in from his villa to sicken us with his bull/****. frankly it just proves that the fai are a devious bunch of ****;ers and always will be. and roy will probably come back. id give him and tosh 3 months and theyll be at each others throats. mick wasnt a bad manager. were nearly as bad as england for going on the bandwagon with criticism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭G

Well he did get a lot of undue stick and there was a campaign to oust him (which affected his performance as a manager). But we still have to look at it black and white and judge him on the results. He had to go.

If Toshack takes the job I'm happy... we'll be lucky to get anyone half-decent after all the bs since the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

All the FAI have to say right now is:
    The FAI wish to confirm that officials will meet international team manager Mick McCarthy at a secret location on Tuesday evening for a private meeting.

There will be no further comment at this stage.

Who's John Toshack? The Welsh manager? If so, he certainly can't be a bad replacement for McCarthy to be honest with the current form Wales are on...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

No, Mark Hughes manages Wales at the mo'

although Toshack used to manage them (and wasn't too successful)

He has managed in Spain (Real Madrid and Real Sociadad) and I think he was with Swansea for a while (or maybe he still is?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Toshack ? John Toshack ??? When did his name enter the mix ? Ah well, best of luck Mick. At least you tried.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

John Toshack would be like jumping from the frying pan into the fire. Surely even the FAI could not do that. It would be a disaster. Worse then Sunderland giving Wilko a new lease of life, at least I do not support Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

TOSHACK FFS this is comical. I think I'll start supporting Wales :rolleyes:

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

From Ireland.com

McCarthy ends six-year reign as Irish manager
    Last updated: 05-11-02, 15:23

The reign of Europe's longest-serving international manager ended today when Irish soccer boss Mick McCarthy agreed to leave the post he has occupied since March 1996.

McCarthy's contract was not due to expire until February 2004, but a source close to the 43-year-old confirmed he had negotiated a compensation package with the Football Association of Ireland (FAI) and will leave immediately.

McCarthy will arrive in Dublin from his home in England to finalise the formalities. The FAI are expected to make an official announcement of McCarthy's departure on Wednesday.

The Yorkshire-born coach has been under intense pressure to resign ever since expelling Roy Keane, the Republic's most influential player, from the Irish World Cup squad in May.

He was able to fend off criticism, however, when his team progressed to the tournaments second round, eventually falling to Spain after a penalty shoot-out. Indeed, that performance earned him a £100,000 sterling bonus.

The pressure swelled up again, however, after the recent publication of the autobiographies of both Keane and the Republic's record goalscorer Niall Quinn, both of whom described shambolic preparations for Irish matches.

The team's dreadful start to their Euro 2004 campaign with defeats to Russia and Switzerland saw the pressure intensify, with almost all of the Irish media calling for the managers head.

AFP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭G

Originally posted by gandalf
    TOSHACK FFS this is comical. I think I'll start supporting Wales :rolleyes:

Gandalf.
    it's easy to say who you wouldn't like to take McCarthy's place but realistically, who would you honestly be happy with that would actually take the job?

I heard Harry Redknapps name mentioned... Would he take it? Not a hope imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Ah well it was bound to happen,Now comes the fun in seen who they intend to replace him.I think Toshack would be a good boss,he would have the players respect from his time at managing Real Madrid,he's available and more importantly we can actually afford him.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by G
    it's easy to say who you wouldn't like to take McCarthy's place but realistically, who would you honestly be happy with that would actually take the job?

David O'Leary.

No seriously.

Really!

according to FM104's sports news (yesterday), Niall Quinn was being linked with the position along with Pat Bonner - as a "caretaker" management team until a full-time solution was found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Toshack is a proven manager, i have no worries bout him.

Just wanted Brian Kerr as new boss :(

At least Ian Evans goes to ,hopefully Kerr get that job.

kdja

its gotta be someone who can come in and mend the riff between some of the players and keano ... Toshack could be the man ,

I don't think keane would play for quinn / bonner

Kerr should be assistant / u 21 manager and maybe Joe Kinnear

I don't think Joe Kinnear is an option tbh...

O'Leary as manager with Kerr as assistant would work nicely.

This news is, naturally, getting considerable coverage. The FAI web-site itself has slowed down to a crawl... presumably getting quite a hammering, hits-wise right now.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2002/1105/soccer/mccarthym.html
    http://msn.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,1-1069469,00.html
    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2002/1105/breaking56.htm
    http://www.unison.ie/sportsdesk/stories.php3?ca=12&si=864659
    http://www.98fm.ie/news/sport/sport_details.asp?story_id=81098
    http://www.soccercentral.ie/viewstory.asp?id=8399&mainheading=Republic+of+Ireland&viewstory=yes

Paddy Power Bookmaker odds for next manager

http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=show_type_by_main_market&category=SOCCER&ev_class_id=115&id=3266

throw a euro on dunphy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 alanj1

Christmas has come early :) I'm going out on the tear tonight !

O'Leary or Kinnear get my vote (with Kerr involded also).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Go with u alan but I would lose O'Leary, Kinner and Kerr would be a good combo - premier exp mixed with best knowledge of Irish youth structure around.

I don't rate O'Leary at all.

I would like to see Kinnear get it (with Kerr alongisde)

I guess we all have to wait and see!

/Kone

"press conference at 9pm tonight in the Burlington Hotel, Dublin"

apparently :)

i cant get some people. so we got off to a bad start fair enough but even the top managers cant always get it right. mick may not have the reputation of shankly or bob paisley or brian clough but it is sad to see the roy keane thing ending a long era in which landsdowne was a fortress to go and try and win there until recently. toshack is only famous to me for the dodgy accent, the load of kak he talks and his love for spanish teams. ps, he got sacked from real for criticising one of his players publicly so god only knows what ian harte is in for. i do think mick was prone to tactical errors(ian hartes participation in all 4 wc matches) but it is no reason to sack a man who has made irish football fantastic to watch plus he has commanded alot of respect that was temporarily lost after the charlton era. ironically charlton who made ireland a worldbeating team despite what people say got the same treatment from the so called know-alls. mr dunphy and the likes

• Advertisement

I think O'Leary is a good manager, you only have to look at where Leeds are without him. If he was a international manager he wouldn't have to do press conferences every week which is what I think got him the sack.

Though in fairness, that comment he made about Mchail was worrying.

Anyway, who cares, for today we can celebrate and tomorrow we can get down to who replaces him !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

. Bookmakers have installed John Toshack as favourite to take over although it is expected Don Givens will take temporary charge of the teams affairs for Ireland's friendly in Athens later this month

From unison. I think O'Leary would make a decent manager, especially when looking at leeds drop in his abscense.

And tip_Gunner, I'll listen to NO ONE bad mouth Mr Dunphy :D
    500/1 for new manager last I heard :)

tipp_Gunner forget about the Keane argument. McCarthy had to go alone on his results.

We should have qualified for France 98, Holland/Belgium 00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

so we got off to a bad start fair enough but even the top managers cant always get it right. mick may not have the reputation of shankly or bob paisley or brian clough but it is sad to see the roy keane thing ending a long era in which landsdowne was a fortress to go and try and win there until recently

It is not just because of this if u look at the last 8 results it read 2 W 2 D 4 L and that is just not good enuff a new manager is needed to first of all bring some spirit into a team which is starting to become complacent and uninteresting and also to shake things up a bit with selections and the like - personally i think we now have a much better chance for qualifying whether Keane comes back or not!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by alanj1
    tipp_Gunner forget about the Keane argument. McCarthy had to go alone on his results.

We should have qualified for France 98, Holland/Belgium 00

Going by that logic, we shouldn't have qualified for Japan/Korea 2002. I'm sick to death of ye McCarthy bashers...

Originally posted by Mountjoy Mugger
    Going by that logic, we shouldn't have qualified for Japan/Korea 2002. I'm sick to death of ye McCarthy bashers...

What sense does that make ? I'm saying we should have qualified for all 3. I'm not a McCarthy basher, Im an Irish soccer supporter and this is my opinion, if I was a "basher" I would be name calling as opposed to using facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

I am sick to death of people defending McCarthy - underachievment is not a success story!
    People have lower expectations because we are a small country!

I am glad he is gone - he had too many flaws.

Toshack might be an interesting choice - he wouldn't take any messing from the McAteer gang!

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

Originally posted by plastic membrane
    Toshack ? John Toshack ??? When did his name enter the mix ?

Sure he was on TV3 last week thats more than enough of a connection to get the rumour mill going :)

exactly dougal and hopefully we get a manager who isn;t afraid to play the youngsters i.e. o'shea, healy et al

• Advertisement

I am sick to death of people defending McCarthy - underachievment is not a success story!

Agree with ya,after all were pretty much the same size as Holland,and do you really think they would have a big open air concert if the dutch only finished in the second round?

And yes i know we knocked them out,which meant we should have had higher expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

The new manager whoever he is will be in a good situation with the youngsters coming through and the core of the team very solid.

Given, Kiely
    Carr, Finnan, O'Shea, Breen, Cunningham, Harte, O'Brien, Kelly
    Reid, Keane, Healy, Duff, Holland, Kinsella, McAteer, Kilbane
    Keane, Morrison, Doherty, Connolly, Barrett

Not a bad squad.

Pity we have an uphill task ahead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

Originally posted by johnnynolegs
    exactly dougal and hopefully we get a manager who isn;t afraid to play the youngsters i.e. o'shea, healy et al

In fairness, breaking in the youngsters was the first thing McCarthy did when he took over. You can't really throw that at him. Its not a lack of balls, it favoritism. He picks an ireland team on the basis of which 11 are his best friends, or the guys he likes most.

I'm glad to see McCarthy go. I think hes done well in his time in the post, but with all thats gone on its only going to get tougher for him. He can do no right from here on, and he runs the risk of ruining a reputation as a good manager it took him 6 and 1/2 years to build. Good for him, good for ireland.

Get O'Leary, bring Keano back, startpicking johnno, shoot kilbane, twice just to be safe, beat the pants off Russia in dublin, scrape a 1-0 win in switzerland, and score more against the minnows than everyone else, and then i'm off to portugal for me hols in 2004.

It's oh so simple...

Originally posted by darthmise

Get O'Leary, bring Keano back, startpicking johnno, shoot kilbane, twice just to be safe, beat the pants off Russia in dublin, scrape a 1-0 win in switzerland, and score more against the minnows than everyone else, and then i'm off to portugal for me hols in 2004.

It's oh so simple...

I Vote Darthmise for Manager :)

Sure you'll be over there on your hols anyway :)

Here's me terms...

I want 1 million squids,
    a nice soft training pitch for me boys to practice on,
    and niall quinns wife.

and a big glass bowl full of peanut m&m's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

'I think O'Leary is a good manager, you only have to look at where Leeds are without him.'

about the same place as with him and with them selling a couple of their best players. Ireland could do a lot better than O'Leary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I like to see John Aldridge as Manager. He done a good job of tranmere with VERY little money.

Look he well he motivated them in the cup. Thats what we need.Someone to shout and scream and motivate the players when they are playing crap.

At lease who ever takes over will get rid of the crap in the team like kilbane and play duff on the wing with keane and morrison upfront.

McCarthy's policy of sticking with the players who got us there.
    Imagine putting Connolly on in the world cup. I would have put Morrison on at least he might have taken a decent penalty.

Originally posted by irishgeo
    I like to see John Aldridge as Manager. He done a good job of tranmere with VERY little money.

Yea he took them down to Divison 2 :)

Ok maybe Mick has taken us as far as he will and cant do anymore. with a bad crop of players he didnt do a bad job but all things good or bad inevitably come to an end. what gets up my goat is that joke of an fai and their sneaky indirect way of sacking him. not long ago they gave him their backing. an uncle of mine said that is the kiss of death when the fai give you their backing and now i think hes right. its the exact same way big jack left. few losses and youre no longer required, "now off you go and do your shredded wheat ads and advertise a few used cars for yourself."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Kerr for manager tbh.

The underage teams are having a worse string of results than the senoir teams at the mo.
    Kerr is good with kids. We need him where he is to bring them through.
    I say O'Leary, 3rd in the league, 4th in the league the year after, even houllier didn't crack the untied arsenal dominance, so best of the rest is fine by me. Plus he dd get them to a champions league semi final, no mean feat.

i don't think he'll take it, and we'll probably get Aldridge.... Keano will hate him cos he's not 100% irish, and we'll be back where we started.

• Advertisement

In fact ah....

O'Leary out of Ireland running

Former Leeds boss David O'Leary has ruled himself out of the running to replace Mick McCarthy as Republic of Ireland manager.
    McCarthy resigned from his post as Ireland boss after six-and-a-half-years in charge on Tuesday and the out-of-work O'Leary was immediately installed as the leading candidate to replace him.
    But the former Arsenal and Republic of Ireland international defender has said that, while he would love to be in charge of his country at some point in the future, he would have to turn down the position if the Irish Football Association were to offer it to him at the moment, saying he is looking for a return to club management instead.
    He told BBC Radio 5 Live: "I would love to manage my country one day but if the FAI were to approach me now I would have to decline.
    "I loved the day-to-day involvement of club management and I would really like to be involved in that again first."

.... taken from www.teamtalk.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Thank Christ.

Bring on Joe Kinnear. He deserves a chance and should have got it in 96.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Well it has been on the cards for several weeks now and at last it has happened. In fairness to him he did as well as he could have hoped for after taking over from Jack all those years back. Apart from the now infamous saipan incident and a few tactical hicups!

It will be interested to see who will take over. Kerr is rumoured to be taking over the soon to be vacant job of the Liverpool youth setup. Kinnear who knows maybe..... P.S. stick a fiver on Aldridge getting it :D

Dunphy is 500-1, that's worth a euro bet :D

but seriously Kinnear all the way

John Aldridge said, on Sky Sports News, that he would swim the Irish Sea to get the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

thats dedication for ya :p

Originally posted by Bard
    I don't think Joe Kinnear is an option tbh...

I've been proven wrong.

Joe Kinnear is now the bookies favourite to succeed McCarthy. He himself has said he's 'ready to take on the job' - and that he really wants it (but did comment that the FAI aren't big fans of his for some reason).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by Bard
    Joe Kinnear is now the bookies favourite to succeed McCarthy

he'd be my favourite too. i'm just happy that ****wit McCarthy is gone

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    he'd be my favourite too. i'm just happy that ****wit McCarthy is gone

I would be careful not to berate McCarthy or to call him a ****wit or anything along those lines.

Try not to judge him solely on Saipan or on the past few months. He's been manager for 6 3/4 years, in which time he's presided over a great team in a fantastic qualifying campaign that got us to the World Cup, held an amazing home unbeaten record, performed brilliantly against world-class teams such as Croatia (then 3rd in the world) and Holland, and moved up something like 40 places in the FIFA world rankings.

Well done Mick. Sorry to see you go under such circumstances. As the man said himself, the only regret he has is that he's leaving with the team having no points on the table in the Euro 2004 qualifying group. Anyway, congrats are due to him on a job well done.

Now ... move on! There's no point in debating the past or berating the man for a few bad decisions. Onward to a new manager ... and hopefully a reversal of the team's current poor fortune.

i am not judging him in the last few months i am judging him on the fact that he got us to one major finals in 6 years as manager..............

• Advertisement
Advertisement