Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LILO and Windows Startup prob

• 05-11-2002 7:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

[Posted this to Unix aswell]

I had a dualboot system on an IBM Thinkpad Laptop, Win98 & Mandrake with LILO's GUI after the BIOS Password at bootup. I needed more space on the Win system so I decided to delete the Linux partition using Partition Magic and formatted to Fat32. Then merged the two partitions.

Now, I didnt notice til I turned it on today, that LILO's still trying to load, but must have been partially scrambled 'cos it looks a lil something like this:

LI..070707070707070707070707070707070707070707070

and just keeps replicating the '07' no matter how long I leave it.

To make it worse, I can't use the Win bootdisk as there seems to be smth wrong there too. I choose to load windows with CD-ROM support, it brings me to a C:\ where I try to AUTOEXEC.BAT. It starts to load Windows, runs Grisoft Antivirus, gets to loading PWS and stops trying to load MTS and goes back to C:\ prompt.

Don't really want to have to format whole system, anybody able to help?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Kev

at the c:\ prompt, type fdisk /mbr

that should remove lilo from the master boot record

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Ah, why didnt I think of that?

Cheers Kev :]

Advertisement