Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vote Here for the next ROI Manager!

• 05-11-2002 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

So Micks gone, which means we could have up to 5 months of speculation regarding who will fill the post, so lets start right now! :D

I've included names which I belive can be considered with some gravity or which have already been mentioned by the medja. If you can think of someone else vote other and state your choice.

Mike.

Who should be the next ROI Manager 56 votes

Brian kerr
    0% 0 votes
    Joe Kinnear
    17% 10 votes
    David O'Leary
    26% 15 votes
    George Graham
    12% 7 votes
    John Toshack
    3% 2 votes
    John Aldridge
    3% 2 votes
    Roy Hodgson
    7% 4 votes
    Bryan Robson
    1% 1 vote
    Martin O'Neill
    1% 1 vote
    None of the above (please God!)
    25% 14 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Anyone but Toshack, but on the news Gabriel Egan said his sources all pointed to HIM!!??

I dont rate him-
    if you cant make Real Madrid win w/ their coffers whats he goin to do with Irelands meagre panel??

Of the candidates, I reckon O'Leary would prolly be the best option but i havent really had a good think of who's available and whether we'd want them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

I demand that Dunphy be included in that pole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Originally posted by kamobe
    I demand that Dunphy be included in that pole.

hehehe...and for taoiseach!

anyway...for manager....somebody who won't play...

1) Kilbane/Hart

who WILL play..

o'Shea
    Partridge
    and some more underage players.

basically somebody who will be able to pick players so that Roy Keane wont be missed when injured/suspended etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Joe Kinnear.. (who should have gotten the job all those years ago when mick got it IMHO)

Luton are ok, but he must know they are going nowhere, and would jump at the job.

He has a good track record playing the type of football we have to play given the players we have, not just long ball - but "backs to the wall" football.

He is good with ego's to, so 'you know who' would be back and maybe we would have a outside shot at Euro 2004 afterall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Dunphy said the other night on questions & answers something to the effect of:

"of course I'd be interested in the job, of course I would, it's every persons dream to manage their national side.........................couldn't take the wage drop tho!"

Legend!

For some reason I think Mr. Toshack wouldn't be a bad choice although I'd probably like to give Kinnear a shot first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Well david o'learys ruled himself out in several interviews this evening.. saying he'd love it but not right now or something along those lines.. so I'd go with Kinnear or Toshack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Kerr is the man for the job.
    Has been for a while, few years ago he was ready but the old pros wouldnt have respected him now the pros have all played for him cept for Keane and the english players.

But he is the tight choice os he wont get it .
    Toshack won stuff with real but didnt have the cash they have now.
    If i recall corectly he gave some lad called Raul somfin his debut.

kdja

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭jd

I wouldn't be surprised if it'sToshack
    I'd like them to bring Steve Heighway aboard in some form (not manager)-he's done a good job with Liverpool youth development, and he is a smart cookie to boot (ahem)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

First person to suggest Roy Keane gets shot at dawn :)

Id love to see O Neill, but i doubt thats very likely. Toshack might not be a bad choice.

Isnt Trappatoni finishing up with Italy pretty soon ? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭aine

Isnt Trappatoni finishing up with Italy pretty soon ?

as far as I know hes just renewed his contract or had it extended...one or the other!

as far as a new manager is concerned, Ive heard rumours or Aldridge and Houton sharing the position.....but im really not sure of how serious a suggestion that was!

Personally Id like Brian Kerr:)

what are our chances of getting good ole Jack C back??!! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

we need jack charlton like we need a hole in our head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

John Toshack and Roy Hodgson would be the men for me.
    Roy Hodgson I think managed Inter Milan at one stage. Also, he managed the Swiss national team and they played well under him!

Kinnear said this morning he would like the job but I think he does not get on well with the FAI. In all fairness they do live in pre-historic times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Roy Hodgson did a good job with switzerland a few years back I suppose..

But one sign of a job in a big club in England and he would be offski

Joe K for me still

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Dunphy said the other night on questions & answers something to the effect of:

"of course I'd be interested in the job, of course I would, it's every persons dream to manage their national side.........................couldn't take the wage drop tho!"

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

In Fairness The next ireland manager, will have to have had a RECENT managerial experience in a premier league. E.g. the top league in a country. Otherwise all teh brilliant structural improvement work of the national side e.g. youth, will be wasted.

I saw that too Kamobe!!
    And he was serious too.

The RTE PrimeTime special last night was good too. O'Leary said he effectively wants to do it when he retires. So that rules him out :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

mickssuccessor.jpg

Sorrrteeeeddd!!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

George Burley. Anyone? Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭peeve

Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND

Luton are ok, but he must know they are going nowhere, and would jump at the job.

Dont take Joe away from Luton. He's doing a great job there with little or no money! Under Joe, we've gone from 3rd division obscurity to midtable of the second division. We were on a roll till we played Northampton last week. We were extremely unlucky not to beat Wigan(conquerers of Man City + top of 2nd div) last saturday wk(finished 1-1). He's a great manager and i would be gutted to see him go...but i suppose for the good of Irish football.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

There's only one logical choice for new manager! The good news is that he's recently become available!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Pigman
    There's only one logical choice for new manager! The good news is that he's recently become available!

Got there before ya piggie... (look 3 posts up) :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Looks like El Tel could be out of a job in the next few days, has alot of managerial experience and has only been sacked once .... so far ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    Looks like El Tel could be out of a job in the next few days

It's bad enough us having him at Elland Road - but I don't think I could stomach him being in charge of Ireland.

Jeeze!

Perish the thought... /shiver mode off

hahaha... maybe Mick will end up at Elland Road ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

i would love it if o'neill took it but really what r the chances eh......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I would say El tel is safe for a good while yet. Risdale seems to be prepared to give his managers a fair run.

Originally posted by johnnynolegs
    i would love it if o'neill took it but really what r the chances eh......

about the same chance as THIS biscuit becoming the Queen of Albania.

ummm...

/me eats biscuit.

mmm... yum :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

whoever gets it... i thinkn roddy collins should be taken on in a learning capacity and groomed for the job, people laugh when i say that but im tellin yis, that mans going to the top

From BBC Sport...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/republic_of_ireland/2418765.stm
    John Toshack has ruled himself out of the running for the Republic of Ireland job by taking over as coach of Italian Serie B side Catania.
    His move to Italy has led to former Middlesbrough boss Bryan Robson being installed as the new bookies' favourite to replace Mick McCarthy.

My reaction was...
    Hipee which then quickly turned to OMG :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Can't believe that Kinnear is getting such a high vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They're running for the hills, O'Leary says nope, Toshack bails out, Kinnear says well I'm busy but if you want to talk to me..., eh?
    whats that about, make me stupid offer and I'll take it? Aldo said he'd swim the Irish sea for the job, is that a good or bad thing though? I heard Peter Reids name mentioned in passing er no thanks.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

what about harry bassett? excellent manager when he has limited resources, and a strong believe in good team spirit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I want Aldo he is the only one who wants the job and i reckon he would do a good job. The only thing agasit him is his lack of experience.

Originally posted by Bard
    (look 3 posts up) :p

That would have meant turning images back on AND reading one of your posts. I've made a habit of doing neither.

That would mean turning images back on AND reading one of your posts. I've made a habit of doing neither .... I think I'd like to keep it that way.

It would stop you making a fool of yourself by posting the same thing twice tho :)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Dustaz
    It would stop you making a fool of yourself by posting the same thing twice tho :)

Darn, and there I was concentrating on living in the real world when I should have been spending my time back-checking every little piece of irrelevance on boards.ie in order to not look foolish in the eyes of a bunch of people whom I'm never going to meet and whose opinions in the majority of cases I don't even value. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Reading the papers today it seems Toshack was top of the FAI
    wish list, Kenny Daiglish is now one of the most likely - I had'nt even thought of him. Exellent at Liverpool, good with loadsofmoney at Blackburn, crap at Newcastle. Hmmm not sure. Why is'nt Brian Kerr getting more interest? I'd go for him first.

Mike.

Would be a good option but would Kenny take up such an (in all honesty) crap job ? Especially now that Alex has all but ruled out forever the return of Keane to the national team.

Originally posted by mike65
    Why is'nt Brian Kerr getting more interest? I'd go for him first.

Because the keane fanboys dont think he can earn the respect of "premiership players who havent played for him in the youths".

TFTF, where/when did he say that?

Pigman, thats charming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

a bunch of people whom I'm never going to meet and whose opinions in the majority of cases I don't even value. :rolleyes:

If you dont value any of the opinions then why are you here?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Makaveli
    If you dont value any of the opinions then why are you here?

To spread the gospel according to pigman , you infidel ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

NIALL QUINN!!!!111

Dustaz, most of the back pages ran it yesterday, Sunday.

Frank Riijkard could be in the running too, anybody heard anything good or bad of him ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    Frank Riijkard could be in the running too, anybody heard anything good or bad of him ?

Well he was in charge of the Dutch for a while. I dont think he had the greatest of records though.

Advertisement