Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The most ever users online was...TODAY !!

• 05-11-2002 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭

Woot, Woot
    Most users ever online was 192 on 05-11-2002 at 13:53.

It must be all us slackers in our respective Colleges and places of work!! Thought it seemed very busy today- evry forum i went to had a good few "users browsing this forum".

Collective pats on back...me thinks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

We should get a snapshot of all those who were online.

Pose and say "Cheeese" or summat....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

Still though there is nearly 10500 users registered here.
    Wheres everyone else???

and what would happen to the boards if lets say 1000 users logged in and another 500 browsers were on?

screeeeechhh grrrrrrrrrindddd *HALT*

mehtinks.

that and/or mayhem.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You might think that... actually you'd be wrong :)

We peak to about 3 mb/s at the busiest time of the day (1-2pm) and the cpu-usage spikes but not too much (theres not a lot of computation being done now that the *'s are gone...) so we are hard-disk-read bound.

Mostly 8mb/s is what we were capable of in Nevada, which was fine but for growth we've decided to move.
    Early tests on the new box are a bit savage... yesterday Regi was merrily downloading at 45mbs. Roar.

We havent made the most of our previous dual CPU's according to Regi. However we are trying some new threading code in FREEBSD on the new machine to see how that works....

This new box could get slash-dotted and we'd have a good chance of surviving!

Onwards and upwards...

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Originally posted by 80project
    Woot, Woot

It must be all us slackers in our respective Colleges and places of work!! Thought it seemed very busy today- evry forum i went to had a good few "users browsing this forum".

Collective pats on back...me thinks!

Uh I was online then :D Im so proud and id just like to thank my college for giving me shinny new dells to encourage me to browse on boards rather the go to lectures

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

True but with the ridiculous growth we've seen in the last while (130,000 page impressions on Monday for example) we are effectively slash-dotting ourselves :)

Most sites on the irish internet couldnt survive the attention Boards gets, so its nice to know we have a good pipe and machine now.

If that 130,000 was bourne out for an average month, we'd be topping 3.5 million page impressions a month which should see us in the top 5-10 websites in Ireland....

I'm really looking forward to the next 12 months. Regi and I have been getting all enthusiastic again (lack of an EQ addiction mostly).

God, wouldnt it be great if we could create something that went back to the roots of the internet... connecting people and watching what happens from all those connections.... without trying to make some investor back 10 times the investment he put in.

I can see the day we need to employ someone full time and probably give the moderators something back too. I dunno exactly how we get there but I'm giving it all a fair bit of thought recently.

Boards kicks out 2.4 GIGS of information every 24 hours. Thats big enough to hurt ourselves if we arent careful.

We have 10,000 registered users and we're responsible for some important communities who rely on us. What started as a hoot has turned into something more important. Something with a LOT of potential to show people how powerful the internet REALLY can be when you start harnessing its power and stop trying to get rich quick off it.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Need to get all my thoughts straight and then launch a discussion on all of this....

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by DeVore
    God, wouldnt it be great if we could create something that went back to the roots of the internet... connecting people and watching what happens from all those connections.... without trying to make some investor back 10 times the investment he put in.

says DeVore, future CEO of AOL Time Warner Boards.ie 2012 :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Speaking of the future, I wonder how long it will be before Boards.ie gets hit with a big lawsuit, or has to give evidence in one. Not trying to be negative or anything, just wondering out loud. It can surely only be a matter of time before some muppet thinks he can make a few quid out of it. There's some horrendously greedy and stupid people out there... even in the Real World[TM]. :)

adam

Um, well I'm not sure. Theres no money here so theres not much point in taking a case against us.

either:
    1. Its a genuine grievance in which case we'd snip the post as soon as we saw it most likely. ie: as soon as it was drawn to our attention. In that case we've shown due dilligence. (in fact we've shown that by the number of Mods we have).

2. Its a money-grabbing case. Theres no money. All there is is Boards.ie. Which would they would either kill stone dead by pre-moderating it OR would revert STRAIGHT back to me when someone mysteriously posts bad things about me... :)
    Anyway, think about it. Someone sues Boards, takes us to the cleaners. We set up Boards2.ie. They end up with a website full of people who FÚCKIN HATE them. And a big bill for legal fees as we'd almost certainly not get hit by costs and even if we did the company cant pay them.

3. Its a "Lets shut Boards down cos its too successful or saying things we dont like!" well... I've a long history of fighting for civil rights and freedom of speech :):)
    It takes an AWFULLY long time to get through the high courts.

I've no doubt that it will happen, but I've also no doubt that bulletin boards will be ruled as being not responsible for the content they carry (indeed that ruling has already been made in the states).

In the end of the day, if theres nothing of worth here then there's nothing worth sueing for. Thats one good guaruntee that we never turn into AOL/Time/Warner :)

DeV.

• Advertisement

hehe Buffybot... I cant see it happening.

Q. Would I like to work all day on Boards? (actually the real question should be would I like to GET PAID for working all day on Boards).

A. Yeah! Sure! Wouldnt you!

Q. Is there a difference between that and screwing your users for everything they have?

A. I dont think I need to answer that. :)

I'd LOVE to have enough money rolling in off the ads to employ Regi full time to make the servers work perfectly and to code extra bits for the site. I'd love to have me and Vexorg working to get advertising in. I'd love to have Cloud adding features all day :)

But the truth is, thats not going to happen any time soon.
    As soon as we go that route, the pressure is on to make CASH. Cash becomes king. Not what we *want* to do, but what we HAVE to do to make cash. Suddenly we have to be careful not to piss people off. Suddenly we have to be careful what we say and do.

Suddenly its not Boards anymore.

Will it happen? Yeah, probably sometime when its just too much work to do from home or in spare time in work. Are we there yet? Not even close.

Boards is a 15 year project. We're entering year 5 soon. Its time to plan what we want from the next 5 years but softly softly catchy monkey...

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

.......I can see the day we need to employ someone full time .........

I would formally like to apply for this job :)

BTW the reason I asked Regi for the "alternative" address for boards is because one of out directors in work was wondering why www.boards.ie was the most used website from our internet connection ;)

Gandalf.

hehe Buffybot... I cant see it happening.

Q. Would I like to work all day on Boards? (actually the real question should be would I like to GET PAID for working all day on Boards).

Do I have to answer that honestly? :D

Q. Is there a difference between that and screwing your users for everything they have?

A. I dont think I need to answer that. :)

Hmmmmmmmmm....interesting question. OK the analogy with AOL Time Borg is a bit borked, but I think it's a firmly established fact that the bigger a community it gets, the less of a community it becomes.

As it becomes a bigger entity, I think people may find the community spirit thin out - which is probably the one thing which needs maintaining over most. Now, looking back from 5 years i n the future, I wonder will boards.ie still have the sense of community it does today? If so, that will be the measure of a serious success in the field of building online communities.

P.S. Can I run Warner Bros when you end up running? I want to sack/sleep/snort cocaine with famous people :D:D

Now, looking back from 5 years i n the future, I wonder will boards.ie still have the sense of community it does today? If so, that will be the measure of a serious success in the field of building online communities.

Funnily enough this is exactly what was said when there were only 100 of us :)

When we split from 1 forum in ... SHOCK HORROR... 5 forums.

What you say is true though. Boards is already fractured as it is. Its like a salad. You put it on the table and some people only pick out the tomatos while others want everything but the cucumber.

I'm really pleased how we've managed the growth over the years, the fact that people like Gandalf, Bubbles, Zero, Mindphuck etc are all still here means we did something right. The next stage of growth may be tricky but no trickier then that last. We have to put on our thinking caps and think our way through it. Plan it. But we have to be smarter then Yahoo and Geocities. In fact, we might even decide not to be big at all!

We have the freedom to build whatever we like, which is the scariest thing of all :)

Who says big means we cant be a community? So far Boards has broken most of the "rules" anyway. A few more wont make much difference :)

DeV.

We have the freedom to build whatever we like, which is the scariest thing of all :)

It's like a big Lego set and we're all Lego People with no thumbs and bad hair :D

Anyway - I didn't mean my post in a negative way. I probably could have phrased the posting better. I think if building a large community which still maintains some of the "small community spirit" can be done anywhere, it can be done here where, as you said yourself, there is nothing owed to anyone but a good experience and no pressure from business interests etc.

However to look back on the journey 5 years down the line should be interesting ;)

Wonder if I'll still be here to see it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

I can see the day we need to employ someone full time....

DeV.

Remember that one time on IRC you said i could be boards lawyer...:p

Yes, get qualified you layabout! :)

As has been alluded to ... we might have a LOT of work for a lawyer sometime hahah... we could make you famous!

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Obviously I've taken a bit of a detour doing my masters, but give me another 2 years and I'll be boards very own Johnnie Cochran !!

--
    And dahamsta does have a point...seriously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Boards is a 15 year project. We're entering year 5 soon. Its time to plan what we want from the next 5 years but softly softly catchy monkey...
    DeV.

bertie.jpg

Yes I have no editing skills.

the scary thing is... I more often look like that then the other way... :(

DeV.

• Advertisement
Advertisement