Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forfas says Ireland can be world tech leader

Options
  • 05-11-2002 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

found this tonight read the end of it

Ireland can develop a significant advantage in certain areas of digital technology, according to a major new report published by Forfás today.

The report identifies five key target areas: e-learning, games, business and consumer wireless services, digital libraries, and non-media digital applications.

The report claims digital content is emerging as a significant business opportunity through the convergence of a number of industry areas such as traditional content, media and entertainment, software and multi-media, and hardware and telecommunications areas.

The report highlights that despite growing strongly, the digital content industry is still some distance from maturity.

It identifies that many developments driving digital content are now only beginning, such as the mass market roll-out of broadband networks and take-up of interactive on-line services, and anticipates that the industry will not reach a high-growth phase globally until 2005/2006.

By Cathal Hanley

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

corkey

Could you please post a link to this? Or perhaps e-mail it to me.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,401 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

pdf's available here

http://www.forfas.ie/pubs_index.htm

Internet! Is that thing still around? - homer simpson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭124124

BUT, I am afraid the ever-increasing cost of living in Ireland (which in turn reflects in the cost of running business in Ireland) is badly affecting inflow of new business from the US and other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

this link was in another thread, pretty much spot on;

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2002Nov/gee20021105017154.htm
    I was in Ireland this past year, and this sort of problem was evident. There's quite a bit of high-tech in Ireland, but it's nearly all (I could really just about say all) outsourced from U.S. or other companies. In other words, the work is being done for someone else.
    This unmetered access movement, though, is about businesses. It's one thing for people in their homes not to have unlimited Internet access; it's another thing entirely for businesses who rely on the Internet to pay by the minute. I noticed very few URLs in advertisements scattered about as I see here in the States. Cottage businesses that could be making a killing selling on the Internet didn't seem to be aware of the opportunity.

see also

http://anth.ucalgary.ca/DHatt/Anth473/Cargo.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

well, at least they are honest, 2006 is probably a the time when dsl will be available....it is disgracefull, it is sad and unfortunately for this island -- it is true, be prepared for 30% unemployment again me lados...its back to the charvias shirts for some i fear...and that does not include you or me...

• Advertisement
Advertisement