Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay problem?

Options
  • 05-11-2002 10:43pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Right, I don't know if this is in the right place or not, if it isn't feel free to move w/ link

I've been working in a supermarket for nearly 2 years now,
    On Oct 5th, the minium wage came in 6.35e an hour, I was hoping that I would be entitled to this, since I am 18.
    I have been battling with my manager to get this wage, and they come back to me to say that I am not entitled to the wage because the company is in aggreement with musgraves, and its a JLC aggreement, the manager said they would show me this letter, but I have not seen it yet.
    I then asked, howcome someone who is working(non Irish) here shorter than me gets this minium wage, and the reply was "because that person is an adult, they're 32" My reply was "I am an adult too, I am able to vote"
    I am just wondering, what the **** is the JLC aggreement, and what can I do about it, the only reason i stay in the ****hole is because I can get off things easy (shifts, being late) and Its a 1 minute walk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Lenny
    Right, I don't know if this is in the right place or not, if it isn't feel free to move w/ link

I've been working in a supermarket for nearly 2 years now,
    On Oct 5th, the minium wage came in 6.35e an hour, I was hoping that I would be entitled to this, since I am 18.
    I think he's taking the piss (unless you are an apprentice)
    http://www.eurofound.ie/emire/IRELAND/JOINTLABOURCOMMITTEE-IR.html

more I found
    Entry rates
    While a single minimum wage rate is proposed, there are important provisos. Lower rates are proposed for workers who are under 18 (70% of the full-time rate), with job entrants, apprentices and trainees to receive 75%, 80% and 90% for the first, second and third years of employment respectively. However, any employer who wants to pay the lower entry rate has to state in that worker's terms and conditions exactly what training will be provided during the first year of employment. Otherwise, the full rate will have to be applied

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

OK, its a part-time job, forgot to mention that
    i do a fair few hours for being a student, about 22 hours a week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

You want to look at the government information site here:

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/employment/pay_and_employment/pay_inc_min_wage.html

it covers the rules for minimum pay, the exceptions, and who to contact if you have difficulty!

but from a cursory glance it looks like you're only entitled to 80% Min wage

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I was under the impression that even if you are part-time but over 18 you are entitled to minimum wage.

There are some exceptions. The legislation does not apply to a person employed by a close relative nor does it apply to those in statutory apprenticeships.

In addition some employees are only guaranteed a reduced national minimum wage rate. For example:

Employees who are under 18 are only guaranteed up to 70% of the national minimum wage.

Employees who reach 18 have their national minimum wage entitlement phased in. So in the first year after reaching 18 the employee is guaranteed 80% and in the second year, 90%. This also applies to employees who are over 18 and enter employment for the first time.

Certain employees who are over 18 and undergoing a course of training / study authorised by the employer are only guaranteed a reduced national minimum wage at the following rates:

75 % for the first 1/3 of the training/study period

80 % for the second 1/3 of the training / study period

90 % for the final 1/3 of the training study period

None of the 1/3 periods can be for longer than 12 months.

Unless you turned 18 when working there, you are entitled to the minimum wage, otherwise you have to wait 3 years til you are entitled to it.
    And I just read your post there again and you say you have been working there for 2 years, which means you were not 18 when you started. So you are only entitled to 80% of the min wage.
    That's about €5.12 per hour.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

What about if I left and started there again? :)
    Would that mean I am 18 when starting

• Advertisement
Advertisement