Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ntl Uk

Options
  • 06-11-2002 1:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

A m8 of mine phoned me today to tell me that hes now getting broadband coz his TV provider (NTL) have now waved their install charges for any package over 128kb he went for the 600kb package for £24 a month i tried to talk him into the 1mb package for £34 p/m that way any big downloads i need he can grab and burn a cd for me :)fecking brilliant broadband by post!!!.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I think a lot of people in Ireland have been using "broadband by post" (sic) for some time. This just demonstrates, again, how sad the situation has become here. Basically it is cheaper and faster to post something on a CD ROM from another country rather than downloading it on an "Eircom Hi-Speed" line. I can think of a headlines right now... "Snail mail faster than Eircom Hi-Speed!"

And with the low download cap on Eircom "no-stream", it's probably cheaper than that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

iv'e been told by an ntl broadband user in Wales that NTL are merging with Blueyonder.
    (at least cable divisions?)

Any one heard this? if its true what does it mean for ntl in ireland?

or is this m8 of mine talking **** :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Average postage time from the UK = 2 days (172800s)
    Normal CD = 760MB (6225920 bits)

Therefore:

Broadband by post = 36.03 b/s

I think Eircom would be delighted to charge you €30 a month for a 36.03b/s service!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Kev

Those figures are wrong.

700MB cd = 716800000 bytes

thats 4KBps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

NTL seemily has very little interest in ungrading its systems over here ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MoSeS_.

If you are going to nit pick at least get it right.

700MB * 1024 = 716800 KB
    700MB * 1024 * 1024 = 734003200 bytes
    700MB * 1024 * 1024 * 8 = 5872025600 bits

760MB * 1024 * 1024 * 8 = 6375342080 bits

for whatever reason you would want to bring it down to bits.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by MoSeS_.
    760MB * 1024 * 1024 * 8 = 6375342080 bits

which works out at 4.6KB/s which is about what you get right now with a 56Kb/s modem. So in other words, Snail Mail is just as fast as Downloading with Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

to be really (properly) pedantic you should compare the cost of postage of a 50g package and cheap CDR to Ireland as against the cost of dial up at those slow speeds with €ircon .

maybe somebody should start a sponsor a Paddy thread over on the NTL Hell site in the UK.......or a reciprocal link to IoffL

They think THEY have it bad and them able to get Broadband from NTL ......

BTW what happended to the NTL ads on Boards...seem to have disappeared.

M

Originally posted by Muck
    to be really (properly) pedantic you should compare the cost of postage of a 50g package and cheap CDR to Ireland as against the cost of dial up at those slow speeds with €ircon .

Well here ya go.

Downloading at 4.5KB/s it would take roughly 48 hours to download 760MB or data.

48 hours online(weekdays) with €ircon = €82

Postage for 50g package = Approx €1.20
    CDR Disk = Approx 30c

2 Days waiting for a CD from England = €1.50

Saving you €80.50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Kev

Originally posted by MoSeS_.
    If you are going to nit pick at least get it right.

i wouldn't call it nit picking when there are order of magnitude between the figures.

36 bps is less than 1% of the actual figure.

As for getting it right, that depends on your definition of mega and kilo bytes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Originally posted by LFCFan
    Well here ya go.

Downloading at 4.5KB/s it would take roughly 48 hours to download 760MB or data.

CDR Disk = Approx 30c

2 Days waiting for a CD from England = €1.50

Saving you €80.50

This would make a great full page spread in the newspaper. If only we could afford to advertise.

I said

and you only quoted the CDR and the Postage. How much will the Jiffy Bag cost ? 50c or so?

Also the AVERAGE Eircom line is capable of 33000 bits per second according to wht they told the Advertising Standards Authority Here Recently in response to complaints about their false advertising.

33000 divide by 8 is 4.125 KiloBytes a second at the theoretical most. In actual practise it amounts to 3Kilobytes a second.

M

I said

and you only quoted the CDR and the Postage. How much will the Jiffy Bag cost ? 50c or so?

M

CDR Disk = Approx 30c
    JIFFY BAG = 60c

2 Days waiting for a CD from England = €2.10

Saving you €79.90

Happy Now? :mad:

Also the AVERAGE Eircom line is capable of 33000 bits per second according to wht they told the Advertising Standards Authority Here Recently in response to complaints about their false advertising.

33000 divide by 8 is 4.125 KiloBytes a second at the theoretical most. In actual practise it amounts to 3Kilobytes a second.

M

We want to keep the comparison in line with 2 days post from England, hence 48 hours. As it is practically on the button for 760 MBs of Data to download at 4.5KB/s in 48 hours so it suits the comparison better and is still valid.

€ircon were entitled to the presumption of a Jiffy Bag :D

M

€ircon were entitled to the presumption of a Jiffy Bag :D

M

Although an €ircon Jiffy bag would probably cost €10 to deliver to your door and €1 for every gram you put in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I put my hand out to be slapped there :(
    In my defence I was not long out of the nest.

1/10
    Must try harder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Your a bunch of nutters (in a nice way):D anyways as far as i can see your maths is wrong if ya want to get picky unless you have taken in to consideration cheap rate in your calculations, im mean downloading for 48 hours would take you into peak rate so in fact it should cost more money wise, if you do it on off peak then it will cost you 4 days, 14hrs for 3 nights and 6 hours on the last night.Unless you do it over a weekend then depending on when you start wanting something youll have to wait untill the weekend.Lights fuse and stands well back :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by MrPudding
    This would make a great full page spread in the newspaper. If only we could afford to advertise.

But surely thats what a journalist is for ? :p

Theres enough press outlets that make stories after reworking a press release.

/me waits Eircom Tribunals new ads for Broadband by Post.

Originally posted by Stonemason
    Your a bunch of nutters (in a nice way):D anyways as far as i can see your maths is wrong if ya want to get picky unless you have taken in to consideration cheap rate in your calculations, im mean downloading for 48 hours would take you into peak rate so in fact it should cost more money wise, if you do it on off peak then it will cost you 4 days, 14hrs for 3 nights and 6 hours on the last night.Unless you do it over a weekend then depending on when you start wanting something youll have to wait untill the weekend.Lights fuse and stands well back :D

The way I calculated it is as follows.

You start downloading 760MB at 12 midnight on a Tuesday.

12am - 8pm Off Peak = 8 Hours
    8am - 6pm Peak = 10 Hours
    6pm - 12am = 6 Hours

This covers day 1. 10 Hours Peak and 14 Hours Off Peak
    Day 2 is the same so you end up with 20 Hours Peak and 28 Hours Off Peak.

10 Hours Peak with €ircon = €60.81
    28 Hours Off Peak = €21.22

These are for standard local calls which is what a lot of people pay to access the net.

So that's €82.03 for 48 hours internet access downloading 760MB at 4.5KB/s, against approx. €2.50 for getting your mate in England to download it, burn it and post it to you. Same amount of time, 3% of the cost.

• Advertisement

Surely that should be re-calculated at 4.125k and not 4.5k because that is what €ircon have stated to be the Norm and I agree with them.

4.5k is far too kind...about 9% too kind I make out.

M

Surely that should be re-calculated at 4.125k and not 4.5k because that is what €ircon have stated to be the Norm and I agree with them.

4.5k is far too kind...about 9% too kind I make out.

M

Yes, but for calculations sake, 4.5KB/s works out perfectly at 48 hours for a full 760 MB CD. It's still valid and fits perfectly.

So it takes 52 hours my way and not 48

Therefore it is true to say that

1. If I start Downloading at 9AM on Tuesday and if my NTL buddy in the UK starts to do same.

2. And he finishes at 1 and burns a CD

3. And puts it in bag and posts it at 3pm Tuesday

4. And it plops in my letterbox in Ireland at 9AM THURSDAY ,48 hours after we BOTH started

5. I am still downloading on my sh1te expensive €ircon line.

OVER 2 DAYS LATER

I like the 'OVER' bit so I do, think about it.

M

So it takes 52 hours my way and not 48

Therefore it is true to say that

1. If I start Downloading at 9AM on Tuesday and if my NTL buddy in the UK starts to do same.

2. And he finishes at 1 and burns a CD

3. And puts it in bag and posts it at 3pm Tuesday

4. And it plops in my letterbox in Ireland at 9AM THURSDAY ,48 hours after we BOTH started

5. I am still downloading on my sh1te expensive €ircon line.

OVER 2 DAYS LATER

I like the 'OVER' bit so I do, think about it.

M

That's fine and I totally understand that it would more than likely take longer for some and it would also take less for others. I can always get 5.5Kb/s minimum download speed. For the sake of argument though and to highlight the inadequecies of Internet Access in Ireland, if we stick to 4.5KB/s we can show the comparison a lot better. As a footnote the following could be added:

*The speed of 4.5KB/s is only the speed used in this calculation. In reality most people using dialup access will get speeds a lot lower than this which would result in the CD from the UK getting to you quicker than you can download in your own home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

that's the ntl & telewest merger that has been mooted for a long time....I think once the financaes are sorted out at telewest it will happen....( going back a few posts here , sorry )

I bet you were great at those questions in maths class you know the ones A train leaves dublin at 2.34pm travling south at 87mph with a head wind of 5mph ect ect :D.

Anyways the exchanges that are being upgraded i think im going to be getting a fair bit of post from the UK,o well that said it will be nice to look forward to the postman coming for a change he.

Originally posted by Stonemason
    I bet you were great at those questions in maths class you know the ones A train leaves dublin at 2.34pm travling south at 87mph with a head wind of 5mph ect ect :D.

Well, I must have found some added brain cells since school 'cause I was crap at those :-)

Well an update on my mates new broadband.When he signed up they said it will take 10 days, 2 days later hes all hooked up a downloading like a loony.Aparently they just sent him a cable and a cd the cable plugs into his setop box and the other end plugs into a USB port on his computer no need for expencive ADSL or cable modem.He used to get 4.5kbs when downloading he now gets 65.0kbs not bad for £24 a month huh!!

Advertisement