Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Republicans now have full control...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Reading the comments by DiscoStu and Typo in this thread
    has me starting to think the policies of Bush and the Republicans are correct, which is'nt right!

As for Michael Moore he can make some exellent points but is too often self-satisfied - in awe of his own subversivness . Typical US lefty in other words!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

The people in those towers werent soldiers, werent spies, werent involved. Did they deserve to die even if their country leaders were evil fvcks?

There is absolutely no justification to September 11.

Just as there was no justification to Omagh. I know they there were causes that motivated these people - But really how has their cause being advanced? The bombing of the night club in Balli was another act. These people were enjoying themselves at a nightclub - what was their crime?

These people were sent out to kill innocent people. They planned it & they knew what they were doing.

How many Irish were killed on September 11th?

Yet - they are people who bemoan the fact that Shannon is opened up to US military personnel. I think it is the least we can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

I know the point you are getting at DiscoStu and its probably right, those are probably the reasons the twin towers were attacked. Doesnt justify it one iota.

dont get me wrong here 9/11 was unjustifiable in any rational kind of way. but when dubya goes around spewing out sounbites like "they hate freedom" to deliberatly mislead the american public and hide the reality of what was actually leading up to the attacks i kinda lose my patience. I dont support suicide bombers, i dont belive money should be given to the families of them but i also dont think any war against iraq is going to make the world a safer place. it will create more terrorists which in turn will justify the increases in military spending, might i add at the expencs of everyone else. Teachers and other public service workers in the states did not receive a pay increase this year due to the massive increases in military spending. Dont you just love specious reasoning.

I boil this down to, where I'd like to live and the lifestyle I'd choose really.
    The western one wins hands down for me.
    Remember Bin Laden might hate the U.S but he and his ilk want a holy war, one not just between the west and Islam , but between Islam and Christianity.
    I will not have anyone telling me to live my life as a muslim, thats a life for those that want it and good luck to them.
    And I certainly won't have people blowing thousands of innocent people asunder, whether it be in a nite club or an office block to get me out of fear to change my mind.

mm

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

A couple of things here. Everyone agrees that the World Trade Centre attacks were Evil of the worst kind. However what everyone is ignoring is that attacking Iraq will result in a even higher death toll. If the US want Saddam out they should take him out by assassination, they are suppost to have the best Intelligence network in the world, it should be well within their abilities.

Personally I believe there is a bloodlust coming from the American Government to get revenge for the WTC attacks that has not been satisfied by Afganistan. We are entering a very dangerous period in world events at the moment and I feel that I need to worry more about what the US is up to than a group of Islamic Extremist Terrorist and a Washed up Dictator in a ruined country.

Regarding the Muslim comments Man, there are also groups on the Christian Side that would like to convert/remove all the Muslims but they like Bin Laden and his ilk are in the minority. I have been lucky to work and live with Muslims and they are exactly like us with similar aspirations and hopes. I feel sickened by the stereotypical depictions in the media of Muslims.

Getting back to topic now that George W has full control of the American legislature I think the next two years will be very rough indeed. Look at Korea, before Bush cam to power the relationship between the North & South was improving quite dramitically, since George W came to power it has detoriated to such a extent that North Korea has restarted the nuclear program they suspended in the mid 1990's. But I suppose they will be the next target on the George & Dick World Tour.

Gandalf.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by gandalf
    Regarding the Muslim comments Man, there are also groups on the Christian Side that would like to convert/remove all the Muslims but they like Bin Laden and his ilk are in the minority. I have been lucky to work and live with Muslims and they are exactly like us with similar aspirations and hopes. I feel sickened by the stereotypical depictions in the media of Muslims.
    Gandalf.
    Oooops, my comments were an attack on extreme islamic fundamentalists.
    I have no problems with peacefull reasoned conversions, whether they are christian to muslim or vice versa.
    Getting back to topic now that George W has full control of the American legislature I think the next two years will be very rough indeed. Look at Korea, before Bush cam to power the relationship between the North & South was improving quite dramitically, since George W came to power it has detoriated to such a extent that North Korea has restarted the nuclear program they suspended in the mid 1990's. But I suppose they will be the next target on the George & Dick World Tour.

I tend to agree with your analysis, middle America, will probably not be satisfied untill theres a big "shoot em up" suffecient to avenge 9/11.
    Bill Clinton spent a lot of time on the middle East with a good heart
    Sad to say though, George W, will reap what he sows, what ever that may be.
    mm

Originally posted by DeVore
    If the US congress and House of Reps had been surruptiously feeding heroin to all arab children and simultaneously sexually abusing them... would that justify 9/11 ?

Sorry to move away from the topic again but is that not the same reasoning being used buy bush/blair to justify their dreams of war against iraq?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭BattleBoar

Sorry, this one I just had to respond to. A couple of points:
    DiscoStu: when dubya goes around spewing out sounbites like "they hate freedom" ...

Well, I'd have a hard time arguing that they don't given the type of government they hold up as the ideal. Maybe I'm wrong.
    DiscoStu: Why was the world trade centre destoryed would be a better question. Could it be the exploitionist policies of succesive american administrations, the support for brutal despots and theocracies, hypocritical morals standards and support for israeli expansionisim?

The reason the world trade center (techincally, the world trade centre is in UAE even though we all knew what you meant, I just felt like picking. Sorry ;) ) was attacked is because a group of muslims thought that that is would be a good way to kill the most americans most effectively while at the same time sending some message that they thought needed to be sent. That's the fact. Your answer is speculation. Did american policies of the past or present or both have anything to do with it? Almost certainly. Its unlikely a group of people would randomly decide to do that. Something made them think it would be worth their while. But you just used the question as a method of atacking american politics rather than actually intending to answer your question. Anyway...

"If we practice and eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth, soon the whole world
    The only way to stop terrorisim is through negotiations or removing the root cause of the terrorisim itself. every terorist killed becomes a martyr and 2 more spring up to replace the dead one.
    Well, not if you make it costly enough that the weaker civ loses their will to continue the fight or if there is none of the weaker civ left to fight.

Anyway, here's what I really wanted to say. History shows it doesn't really matter who is right and who is wrong. Right and wrong are usually far less important than winning in the eyes of history. According to polls, the majority of muslims think that bin Laden was, at least in part, justified in attacking the US. Now, whether US policy is tripe and to blame or not, if the terrorist acts continue against the US or other west, people will start to believe the only way for it to end is if: "its either going to be us or them." I know you say that the US should attack the root cause of terrorism, but when an attitude like this is so pervasive in a culture, the easiest thing to do is just to wipe it out. That's the way history works. Action reaction. Push-Pull. Weaker culture attacks stronger culture or stronger culture decides it wants to conquer or somehow views weaker culture as a theat means the weaker culture is exterminated more often than not. Is it right? Is it wrong? Its almost irrelevant to ask the question. It just is.

The most likely outcome from continued, escalated terrorist attacks against the US or other western countries is definitely NOT, the US and the West try harder to understand why they are hated, even if it is justified (which, apparently in most muslim minds, it is). The result will either be that enough of Islamic culture is crushed that the rest lose their will to fight and capitulate, or they fight to the last and the culture is more or less exterminated. Is it right? Is it wrong? It just is. Its happened countless times thoughout history and it would be naive to think that just because we live in a new "PC" world, that human nature is not still the same human nature that has existed for millenia. Self-preservation is still the most dominant instinct, if not for the individual than for the society that individual chooses. Human history shows, when a threat is markedly weaker technologically (as the islamic culture is), and they pose a significant threat to a more powerful culture, the opposition is eliminated until you can assimilate the rest or relegate them to irrelevance.

Now, what do I personally think? Yes the US has gotten in other countries business far too much. Did it justify Sept11? Definitely not. Should the US capitulate and change its policy as a result of Sept11? Not unless they want every other radical group with a cause to use more terrorism as a means to exploit it. Sorry, I guess it is backwards logic and unfortunate, but now that the proverbial die has been cast, there can be no capitulation, only reciprocity, unless you only want to encourage more of that behavior. That's the way human nature works, and as much as we want it to change and think we can change it to something more benevolant, I've come to the conclusion that the underlying violence in man is far too great for us to overcome.

Think about it; when was the last time the world went more than 100 years without a major war? To the best of my knowledge, it was in the Roman world. Why? Because the other cultures knew they would be anhilliated for opposing them. In other words, peace through strength. Does it suck? Yep. Is that the way it is? Yep. Is that the way it will always be? Probably...at least as long as religion exists, or at least as long as more than one religion exists anyway. ;) Why? Cause religion drives deep philosophical differences that many people are willing to fight and die for. But is religion solely to blame? Of course not. Those philosophical differences might just as well exist without deep religious differences (ie. WWII Nazis). Anyway, its all too confusing to be able to make accurate conclusions on the morality of the situation, especially when morality is a culturally and religiously defined manmade concept anyway. Its far easier to just go by history and accurately predict the eventual outcome.

Anyway, that's my 2 pence/cents whatever unit of currency you use. I didn't proofread anything and its really late so forgive the errors that are prolly in it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by BattleBoar
    The reason the world trade center (techincally, the world trade centre is in UAE even though we all knew what you meant, I just felt like picking. Sorry ;) ) was attacked is because a group of muslims thought that that is would be a good way to kill the most americans most effectively while at the same time sending some message that they thought needed to be sent. That's the fact. Your answer is speculation.

AS is yours, unless you actually have a direct line of contact to those who chose the targets in the first place. You can argue that it is more probable, but then you would have to explain the purpose of the attack on the Pentagon. That surely wasnt intended to maximise life-loss.

An equally probable possibility is that it was a strike at symbolic hearts of capitalism. military might, and who-knows-what-else had the third plane not crashed.

Well, not if you make it costly enough that the weaker civ loses their will to continue the fight or if there is none of the weaker civ left to fight.
    I sincerely you're not even remotely suggesting that genocide is a reasonable solution to a problem?
    I know you say that the US should attack the root cause of terrorism, but when an attitude like this is so pervasive in a culture, the easiest thing to do is just to wipe it out. That's the way history works. Action reaction. Push-Pull. Weaker culture attacks stronger culture or stronger culture decides it wants to conquer or somehow views weaker culture as a theat means the weaker culture is exterminated more often than not. Is it right? Is it wrong? Its almost irrelevant to ask the question. It just is.

I see. Because history is a litany of violence, you believe our future must also be doomed to be a litany of violence. Just as well we dont have weapons that are orders of magnitude larger than what our ancestors had. Weapons enough to wipe out life as we know it. I mean - history shows us that powerful civilisations have never held back - never had weapons they refused to use. Guess the inescapable conclusion is that we're all just dead men walking, then, isnt it. I mean, its not bad, its not wrong....it just is.

Or maybe some people have already figured out this inevitable end and decided that its only inevitable if you accept it to be so. It is possible to learn from history. It is possible for man to finally discover what the word "civilisation" really means. Quite frankly, I reject the concept of the inevitability of history repeating itself throughout our future. Technology has changed the rules - its no longer a wheel. We can spiral to destruction following old paths, or we can try to avoid that.
    Human history shows, when a threat is markedly weaker technologically (as the islamic culture is), and they pose a significant threat to a more powerful culture, the opposition is eliminated until you can assimilate the rest or relegate them to irrelevance.

Can you show one case in history where this has happened? Where there has been a lower level of development coupled with an actual threat to the more developed civilisation? I seriously doubt it. History is littered, however, with examples of the more developed deliberately setting out to subjugate, conquer or destroy those weaker than them.
    Its far easier to just go by history and accurately predict the eventual outcome.

Really? Well then, define a single religion which has been quashed by the empires you've named?

Alternately, choose an empire which subjugated a religion, only to end up having said religion becoming so significant in the culture that the head of that religion is now in the same city which was once the head of the empire?

jc

&
    I know you say that the US should attack the root cause of terrorism, but when an attitude like this is so pervasive in a culture, the easiest thing to do is just to wipe it out.

Smells like GENOCIDE to me.
    Did it justify Sept11?

There is a very large gulf between condoning and understanding. something a lot of people seem to have a hard time swallowing. This "your with us or your a terrorist" attitude disguists me. Why has it been allowed to become taboo to question the word of Bush almighty?

• Advertisement

There is a very large gulf between condoning and understanding. something a lot of people seem to have a hard time swallowing. This "your with us or your a terrorist" attitude disguists me. Why has it been allowed to become taboo to question the word of Bush almighty?

There is a big cultural gap bewtwwn the West & the muslims. I accept that.

I think that this gap will not be bridged - even with understanding on both sides.

Good call Bonkey! I guess the Pentagon comes under "sending a message"

As for the rest, sure, genocide is a possible solution (see Aztecs, Carthage, Native Americans, Cambodia, etc.), I'm just not saying its a good one or a desirable one....it would almost certainly create bigger problems than the one it solves.

As for the last quote, I think you misunderstood me. My meaning was to say that religion, in many cases, fuels the fires that drive men to fight with conviction, but if you notice, I stated a caveat that this is not always the case.

As for technology changing things, you are right! If this same event had happened with the values that governments subscibed to in ancient times, the middle east would certainly contain a much smaller percentage of the world's population than it currently does, problems created be damned. I'm not saying that technology hasn't changed the rules, but I am saying that the underlying insticts are still the same, and at a certain threshold, so will be the resultant actions taken - at least to a degree.

I think my real point was lost, which was simply that continued attacks will not be met with the reaction of trying to understand the motivations of the terrorists, they will be met with efforts to exterminate more of the terrorists as well as innocent people that happen to be unfortunate enough to be standing around at the time or mistaken for said terrorists until it stops.

And of course, its all my opinion, but then so is pretty much everything else on these boards. I just thought I'd throw mine in the hat.

EDIT:
    This "your with us or your a terrorist" attitude disguists me. Why has it been allowed to become taboo to question the word of Bush almighty?

Sardonic tone aside, I wasn't aware that it was taboo. In fact, you're doing it right now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

the argument that bombs aren't going to solve the terrorism problem and that only understanding and subsequently addressing the root causes of terrorism will bring about a "secure" world is fine in theory but impossible in reality.

Bin Laden doesn't have any aims that are worth negotiating, he aspires to die a martyr for his view od islam (shame e's proving adept at avoiding this fate so well)

Israel is a permanent thorn in the side of any politically active muslim, and the palestinian cause does resonate with me as a nationalist, but Israel can't cease to exist without WW3 and the complete destruction of the country and its' people. Britian probably couldn't have envisaged the difficulties the state of israel would cause in their rush to redivide the planet post WW2. The two sides are so far apart that I can't see a political solution in my lifetime for the mid east unless israel goes back to the original borders and eats humble pie.

Fuundamentally the west thinks that its' / our way of life is the best ..cola, cars, fries and beer for all !!(yippee) , those of the islamic persuasion with the time and resources to dwell on such lofty matters think a nice islamic world is the best for the planet. And the poor of South America and Africa have a hard enough time jsut staying alive to be too bothered by global politics.
    The west has abandoned spirituality in favour of cash and craic, where's the middle ground ?
    IMHO of course :)

Originally posted by growler
    the argument that bombs aren't going to solve the terrorism problem and that only understanding and subsequently addressing the root causes of terrorism will bring about a "secure" world is fine in theory but impossible in reality.

Actually, thats looking at it from the wrong point of view.

In reality, we can see that violence, short of genocide, begets violence. Thus, if you wish to break the cycle, you have two options : dust off and nuke the site from orbit (its the only way to be sure) or start looking for another solution.

I've been wracking my brains in the last week, trying to find a single cause which was supported by terrorism was defeated through repression of the terrorist organisation.

I can't find a single one. I'm not saying there isnt one, but I can't think of any.

The scary implication of this is that terrorism is a frighteningly effective tool. However, we can take a second implication as well - suppression of the terrorists will not solve the issue. You might buy some time, but thats about it.

So I find myself asking....why do tens, hundreds, or thousands have to die before people realise that their uncompromising stance will not work, and that compromise will be necessary. Is it so hard to grasp this concept that generations have to die before people realise that the solution is what it always was - pracefully negotiated compromise.
    Bin Laden doesn't have any aims that are worth negotiating

Right...so we kill bin Laden, all his army, let thousands on both sides die, and sooner or later come to the realisation that we will have to negotiate or compromise anyway.

I can think of several areas where compromise could be reached. They may not be ideal solutions, but I would at least say they should be considered before either genocide or a continuation of hostilities.

jc

Bin Laden doesn't have any aims that are worth negotiating

Bin Laden needs to be brought to justice.

Iraq on the hand is another story. Sanctions really have not worked.

Do prople believe that Saddam has no chemical weapons?

I think it is countrys like Israel are potential targets for Saddam. If we were a western sytle democracy next store to Iraq - Would we not be a little concerned about our neighbour?

Would you trust Saddam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭rien_du_tout

Originally posted by bonkey

So I find myself asking....why do tens, hundreds, or thousands have to die before people realise that their uncompromising stance will not work, and that compromise will be necessary. Is it so hard to grasp this concept that generations have to die before people realise that the solution is what it always was - pracefully negotiated compromise.
    jc

I totally agree with you here which is nice for a change so I thought I'd air it:)

Cork, This isnt simply about him having weapons. The chief weapon inspector was on tv last nite saying that he wishes that the US and Britain would give them the where-abouts of the chemical weapon factories so they could investigate them. How important is it for them to get rid of the weapons in a diplomatic way?? The weapon inspectors are compiling their report for the end of Jan and already theres talk of war by Feb. Some people say this is all about oil and I dont know about that, but it certainly looks like the US & Britain are looking to topple Saddam from power. I wonder will there ever be a UN resolution stating "Iraq needs a new leader, lets replace Saddam"...hmmmm
    On the other side he is a man who has done terrible things and I do think action should be taken against him. just not military action......... lets remember who encouraged him to start a war in the 80's......hmmm........ war generally works....... but at a massive price

seán

This isnt simply about him having weapons

I agree that the US have an agenda and I think war has to be the last resort.

I think that we will have to await the final report of the weapons inspectors.
    US & Britain are looking to topple Saddam from power

I also 100% agree. I think that they want an allie in Iraq.

On the other side he is a man who has done terrible things and I do think action should be taken against him.

I agree here also.

There does not seem to be an obvious solution.

I think we should be patient.

But should we ignore Us intelligence reports?

Should we think about are the US or Iraq spinning stories?

I don't know.

It is about 2.15am and I'll ponder upon it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Cork
    I think that they want an allie in Iraq.

No they don't - they couldn't give a damn about the political or religious affiliations of the people in Iraq or the government in Baghdad. What they want is a guaranteed supply of relatively cheap oil.

The same desire caused the alarm after the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait. When the US marched in to liberate Kuwait, they weren't protecting the rights of people living in a democratic country. The Iraqi invasion of Kuwait was one country (ruled by a dictatator) invading another country (ruled by a dictator). I don't believe the Iraqi invasion was correct; however Iraq has a reasonable amount of claim on the area based on relatively recent history up to just over 130 years ago.

The sheik in Al-Kuwat is propped up as an unelected dictator by the US government because it suits them to prop the guy up. Kuwait is less of a country and more a Texaco division that happens to have a UN seat.

I'd honestly like to see a firm connection established by the US government between Saddam Hussein and al-Quaeda or any other international terrorist group before they walk in and run a war in time for the next presidential primaries. Dubya's daddy tried the same thing - he just started the war too early for it to make a difference in the election.

Examining the fairly established links between senior members of the Saudi royal family and Al-Quaeda might be more prudent IMHO.

Examining the fairly established links between senior members of the Saudi royal family and Al-Quaeda might be more prudent IMHO.

I concur completely. I believe the Saudis, with their unchecked funding and promotion of violent and radical wahhabism islam and financial support for Al Queda pose far more of a threat to the west than does Saddam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Bob the Unlucky Octopus

Originally posted by Cork
    Bin Laden needs to be brought to justice.
    Unlikely outcome of a difficult logistical quandary. Probability is he'll either be assasinated or ruthlessly interrogated. To actually bring him to justice and risk making his trial a terrorist target, or worse having to expose intelligence assets to secure a conviction...no, I think the Western intelligence agencies would be a good deal happier with a 9mm round in the base of his skull.

Iraq on the hand is another story. Sanctions really have not worked.
    Sanctions haven't worked...so our next option is regime change? I vote for governments that believe in due process...sanctions and war do not in my opinion constitute this.

Do prople believe that Saddam has no chemical weapons?
    Doesn't matter what they believe- it only matters whether it can be proved or not. Given that Iraq is the size of France, and there are perhaps 40 active inspectors searching for a kit that could be hidden in the back of a minibus- there probably won't be conclusive evidence of a material breach. There are intelligence assets at stake here too- so I'm almost certain that if these assets are at risk in revealing proof or lack of proof to the public, governments won't take the risk.

I think it is countrys like Israel are potential targets for Saddam. If we were a western sytle democracy next store to Iraq - Would we not be a little concerned about our neighbour?
    Except that from the point of view of Arab nations, they have an oppressive violator of human rights on their doorstep- Israel, a nation with WMD- yet openly supported by the US and Britain. Now doesn't that seem just a little bit wrong? Israel's violated a long long list of UN resolutions as well...far more than Saddam has. Add to that the glaring fact that Iraq is the third largest producer of oil in the Middle East and you can forgive arab nations for being cynical about western motives in prosecuting a war resulting in regime change.

Would you trust Saddam?

Nope. But that's not the point. If you want to maintain the moral high ground, and claim that you are prosecuting a war for all the 'right reasons' (freedom, liberty, democracy)- then you must go about that in a proper manner. We live in societies that have the presumption of innocence as a cornerstone. Even the most crass of criminals are afforded them in our courtrooms- and nothing less will convince me that we should put people in harm's way. I don't trust Saddam- but I don't believe there is a proven case against him. Without due process there can be no just or humanitarian intervention, only a highly suspect one.

That's enough for some people- but in the fight against destabilizing forces, I don't want to wake up one morning and find that we've done the job for the terrorists with our own paranoia.

Occy

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Bob the Unlucky Octopus
    here are intelligence assets at stake here too- so I'm almost certain that if these assets are at risk in revealing proof or lack of proof to the public, governments won't take the risk.

This is actually the bit I have a problem with.

The US and UK are saying that Saddam has Weapons of Mass Desctruction. Just pause for a moment and think about what that really means.

Now, lets progress one step further. This is only a problem because (allegedly) Saddam is a nutball (to use the technical term) who would use such weapons. Fair enough - we wont ask why you helped him get them without checking to see if he was a nutball, but lets move on....

These weapons of mass destruction would be used against Israel, the US, or some other Western nation, most likely resulting in horrendous loss of life.

This is not worth exposing an intelligence asset for. It is worth the deaths of thousands of soldiers, inestimable (meant in its real sense, not the negative connotation) civilian casualties and fiscal cost.

I'm sorry - explain to me again how that last bit of logic works, cause it just doesnt make sense to me.

jc

This is not worth exposing an intelligence asset for. It is worth the deaths of thousands of soldiers, inestimable (meant in its real sense, not the negative connotation) civilian casualties and fiscal cost.
    I'm sorry - explain to me again how that last bit of logic works, cause it just doesnt make sense to me.

jc

I'm not entirely certain what you're driving at here. What you seem to be saying is that if these intelligence sources and/or methods are exposed by information being revealed to the public, lives will be saved. This is blatantly untrue- if such information is divulged to the public, we will almost certainly have war to act against the now proven and exposed threat. Not only that, but the men and women on the ground trying to gather this intelligence will almost certainly be exposed to mortal risk as a result of these revelations. Therefore there will be an increased risk to human life should such revelations be made, not a decreased one.

It matters not whether or not the public knows about how the government has acquired this information. It's enough for most people that their government tells them- "We have strong sources which show proof of WMD". If you explain to Trailer-Park Joe that Saddam is about to launch a WMD attack against his little patch, that knowledge does him little or no good at all. In the hands of intelligence agencies however, evasive action can be taken, and evacuations ordered. With this sort of information, the public doesn't need to know and won't benefit from knowing...it won't help to save lives, and that is all that matters. The best course of action is the current one- ie, not risking more lives than you have to in order to keep the public informed, without their being alarmed, or threatening assets. It's a tough balance to strike, but I think current Western administrations are doing an ok job.

Occy

I'm not entirely certain what you're driving at here.

What I'm driving at is very simple. America and the UK apparently know that Saddam is in breach, and are urging everyone left, right and centre that what needs to be done is to take their word and find him in breach.

If he is found in breach, then war is a direct consequence. In effect, the US and UK are arguing for war. They are insisting that enough is enough, the man and his nation are not playing ball, and its time to go in there and finally sort it out.

Why is it important to sort it out? Because an unchecked Saddam is a risk to his neighbours, to Israel, to the West, and so on and so forth.

What I am driving at is that if it is so damned important to the US and the UK that the man be stopped, then surely they can use the means at their disposal to stop him.
    What you seem to be saying is that if these intelligence sources and/or methods are exposed by information being revealed to the public, lives will be saved. This is blatantly untrue

If we are to believe the accusations of the West, Occy, then Saddam would use his WMDs - and there is quite a strong inference that it would not be in a military issue, what with the whole "gasses his own people" story being used to show his ruthlessness.

So, if its blatantly untrue that a war would save lives, then one must either question the number of lives that makes up a Mass Destruction (remember, chem/bio weapons dont do material damage), or question exactly how expensive this war is expected to be.
    Not only that, but the men and women on the ground trying to gather this intelligence will almost certainly be exposed to mortal risk as a result of these revelations. Therefore there will be an increased risk to human life should such revelations be made, not a decreased one.

This makes the basic assumption that the intelligence is entirely HUMINT based. I find this highly improbable, given the US' and UK's increasing dependance on electronic surveillance.

Also, I fail to see how you say that putting an intelligence operations manpower at risk to avert the risk of Mass Destruction is an increased risk. Are you saying that there are more operatives in Iraq than people who would be killed were Saddam to use his weapons?

Come on Occy - your math is better than that.

Besides, even if they dont use the intelligence, and Saddam is found in material breach (or the US go without UN approval), then these HUMINT resources are at risk anyway. The only way they are not at risk is if nothing is done. So surely your math is implying that the path of least risk is to do nothing and leave Saddam alone?
    It matters not whether or not the public knows about how the government has acquired this information.

And which part of asking that the governments give the information to the official inspection team would mean that the information should be given to the public? Surely the US or UK can provide information as to where the weapons were built, bought from, who worked on them, or something which the inspectors could then use to follow up. If they can't do this, then how can the UN possibly take the allegations of the US and UK seriously?
    It's enough for most people that their government tells them- "We have strong sources which show proof of WMD".

Yes, but it shouldnt ever be enough for the UN, and thats who the US have to convince, and who they are singularly failing to do so. The US are treating the UN exactly like Trailer-Park Joe, and expecting that their word should be enough, and that protecting intelligence resources is more important than supply of evidence.
    In the hands of intelligence agencies however, evasive action can be taken, and evacuations ordered.
    And in the hands of UN weapons inspectors, could lead to the weapons (assuming they exist) being removed as a threat so such evacuations need never be ordered.

Again, you're not showing how the evidence or gathering methods is more important than supplying the reason for going after Saddam.

If the US cannot lead the weapons inspectors to a smoking gun, then they will not get their mandate to go after Saddam. If they have the evidence to give them the surity in his guilt that they profess, then why do they not use this evidence to get what they want? Are the US really willing to let Saddam go rather than produce their proof, or, as an alternate, would the US go against Saddam anyway, and effectively decide that their intelligence gathering is of more importance than abiding by the UN's decisions.

[/B][/QUOTE]

What I am driving at is that if it is so damned important to the US and the UK that the man be stopped, then surely they can use the means at their disposal to stop him.

To the best of my knowledge, that's what is happening now. Despite rumblings about war, the US & Britain are seeking a UN mandate when everyone knows that they are perfectly capable of prosecuting war, regime change, pretty much whatever they want without so much as a 'by your leave'.

So, if its blatantly untrue that a war would save lives, then one must either question the number of lives that makes up a Mass Destruction (remember, chem/bio weapons dont do material damage), or question exactly how expensive this war is expected to be.

What needs to be understood here is opportunity cost. War can only be justified in my opinion, as the lesser of two evils. If the potential threat of WMD posed by Saddam is substantively greater than projected casualties, then there is a case for that war. Bear in mind that of all nations who have developed WMD in the last 50 years, none have used them aggressively save Iraq. All you need to do is look at hospital files and archive photography from burns units in Iranian hospitals during the 80s. Topical chemical burns, 70%+ in some cases, clearly demonstrate that here is someone capable of using WMD not as a last resort...but to put the icing on the cake of victory. Not to mention his use of these same VX rounds against Kurdish tribal villages in the north of the country.

It's facile to say that the US is fighting this war for oil...personally I highly doubt that to be the case. The reason is simple- the US has a strong and powerful alliance with over half of OPEC's membership. Saudi Arabia and Kuwait, the two leading oil producers in the region are staunch US allies, so is Venezuela, the largest OPEC producer outside the Gulf- if an invasion of Iraq were to take place, I highly doubt that oil will be at the top of the justification report to Congress. Saddam's forces will certainly be under orders to destroy oil production facilities anyway.

9/11 has brought the potential threat of WMDs being held by rogue states sharply into focus. Saddam is the *only* world leader to use WMD in combat and noncombat engagements since 1945. Israel, India, Pakistan- other permanent members in possession of WMD(2 of them with US help) have shown the responsibility required to control such a dangerous arsenal. All three of these countries in fact have border threats that Iraq does not have. India, Pakistan and Israel have all been in situations where the use of WMD would have been tempting, the only choice, some might say. Yet they held back, and Saddam Hussain used his when neither his power nor Iraq's security was being substantively threatened.

If that doesn't illustrate the threat facing us, I'm not sure what will.

This makes the basic assumption that the intelligence is entirely HUMINT based. I find this highly improbable, given the US' and UK's increasing dependance on electronic surveillance.
    It's not entirely HUMINT based, but there are HUMINT assets on the ground, of that there can be little question. Be they Israeli, British or American- their lives are put at risk by specific sources ad methods being exposed to the public. I have no problem with UN inspectors being given this information- and neither does the US administration- they've agreed to help in this area.

Also, I fail to see how you say that putting an intelligence operations manpower at risk to avert the risk of Mass Destruction is an increased risk. Are you saying that there are more operatives in Iraq than people who would be killed were Saddam to use his weapons?
    Of course not :) I'm saying that if sources and methods are not revealed in the event of a material breach- we will have war. If sources and methods ARE released and/or leaked- not only will we have war, but an increased risk to HUMINT assets. THAT is what I mean by an increased risk. Either way you have war jc- what is being overlooked is that in the event that weapons are discovered, even should Iraq wish a peaceful resolution and say they want to 'turn those weapons over'- they will never be allowed to. Their weapons declaration stated they had no WMD whatsoever. If such weapons or means to manufacture them are discovered, their obvious intent was to mislead- throwing their credibility further into question should they, AFTER discovery proclaim a change of heart :P

Our governments won't believe them, nor would any right-thinking person. IE- whether or not sources are revealed in the event of material breach, there *will* be war. It's just that in one scenario you have war with HUMINT assets at risk, and in the other you don't. Simple math.

Besides, even if they dont use the intelligence, and Saddam is found in material breach (or the US go without UN approval), then these HUMINT resources are at risk anyway.
    How so? If there is war in Iraq, history shows us that HUMINT have a better chance of survival than in peacetime. The largest intelligence operations in history (in terms of scale) are always conducted during military conflicts. There are many reasons for this, some obvious and some not. So long as their direct source information is not given over to insensitive hands, their existence is at considerably less risk.

Yes, but it shouldnt ever be enough for the UN, and thats who the US have to convince, and who they are singularly failing to do so. The US are treating the UN exactly like Trailer-Park Joe, and expecting that their word should be enough, and that protecting intelligence resources is more important than supply of evidence.

That's incorrect to the best of my knowledge. From what I understand, Hans Blix requested intelligence information regarding sites, and the US state department promised cooperation in this regard. How is that denying the UN information? I never said we should do that- merely that we should keep it from the public. Dr. Blix will get his intel, and the public won't get access that could threaten future intelligence gathering (be it ELINT or HUMINT).

If the US cannot lead the weapons inspectors to a smoking gun, then they will not get their mandate to go after Saddam.
    What the US is doing (along with Britain) is to attempt the acquisition of a mandate with a minimum of concessions from their position. If we consider the UN Charter directly jc, any nation that feels that it is being threatened has the inalienable right to defend itself. Both the US and Britain can simply invoke this clause and proceed without the blessing of the Security Council.

If it becomes clear that the UNSC would block the path to decisive action with or without evidence of material breach (as has happened before), then the US and Britain (with a few more nations) will act. As soon as they feel the UNSC is obstructing what they see as a right to defend themselves against a clear threat, they will abandon the UNSC route. The other 13 members clearly sense this, hence their cooperation in drafting a very tough resolution. It won't take much I feel, to convince the UNSC of a material breach, nor would it take long if compliance wasn't forthcoming.

While I believe in the UN very firmly, I am strongly at odds with the idea of a security council getting involved in a dispute between two *member states*. That is not what it was designed for, it was mainly designed to look at internalized conflicts (Cyprus, Rwanda, Congo, etc) The fact that it's failed to look at Chechnya, Northern Ireland, Granada, Tibet- is that the veto power in the hands of permanent members stands in the way of the council's function. I think it neither necessary nor particularly important for military action to be approved by the UNSC. From its original defined role, such disputes are really none of its business- bilateral relations should be resolved bilaterally, there is no need for multilateral haggling. UN weapon inspectors can only work with the full cooperation of the nation they are attempting to inspect.

I don't believe Iraq has been compliant in its weapons declaration. I find it highly unlikely that they have undertaken to destroy the WMD discovered in 1997 themselves- several Iraqi citizens approached in private have admitted to working on weapons programmes, Iranian intelligence has fairly intractable sources which point to WMD development. These are of course things I've read mixed with personal opinion. But whether or not substantial proof is forthcoming, I'd vote yes to a campaign directed at removing Saddam as bloodlessly as humanly possible. The potential risk facing us cannot simply be ignored- the potential for harm is I believe, far greater than the loss of life likely to be sustained in an invasion. A biological attack on a western city would likely cripple it for decades, it would take less than that amount of time to rebuild Iraq with its substantial oil profits, properly directed into public projects rather than the building of extravagant palaces. I think it's worth the price, so do a majority of Iraqis polled, according to a recent NewsWeek survey. If the Iraqi people believe it is, why shouldn't we?

Occy

That's incorrect to the best of my knowledge. From what I understand, Hans Blix requested intelligence information regarding sites, and the US state department promised cooperation in this regard. How is that denying the UN information?

Well, from what Ive seen in the media recently, the information offered to the inspectors to date has apparently turned up nothing. Now, while this may be premature (after all, the weapons inspectors themselves havent officially reported anything positive or negative), it does call into question the nature of the "proof" which is being claimed to exist.

Assuming reporting is currently correct, either the UN is being offered incomplete/outdateed information, or information which proves guilt doesnt exist.
    I never said we should do that- merely that we should keep it from the public.
    Then we are obviously talking at cross purposes here, because I never expected this information to be given to the public. I'm just at a loss to explain any rational reasoning for why the US/UK cant simply lead the weapons inspectors straight to a smoking gun if their proof is so incontrevertable.

If we consider the UN Charter directly jc, any nation that feels that it is being threatened has the inalienable right to defend itself. Both the US and Britain can simply invoke this clause and proceed without the blessing of the Security Council.
    Sure, and by that logic, the UNSC actually serves no purpose, as any nation can simply claim it feels threatened as justification for its actions.

As an aside, does this also mean that Saddam is not perfectly correct in pursuiing any research into defensive systems, given that he cannot but feel threatened (sanctions, no-fly-zone, etc) and therefore has an inalienable right to defend himself. Given that any weapon of mass distruction can effectively be used for defense as well as attack, it seems that the entire move against Saddam is in direct conflict with the inalienable rights of the nation of Iraq to defend itself.
    If it becomes clear that the UNSC would block the path to decisive action with or without evidence of material breach (as has happened before), then the US and Britain (with a few more nations) will act.

In which case, the UN serves no purpose here, and the entire arms inspection is just a charade, as its outcome will not have any bearing on the resultant actions.
    While I believe in the UN very firmly, I am strongly at odds with the idea of a security council getting involved in a dispute between two *member states*. That is not what it was designed for, it was mainly designed to look at internalized conflicts (Cyprus, Rwanda, Congo, etc)

I always understood that in the aftermath of WW2, it was most definitely intended to act as a means of inter-nation conflict resolution - an alternate path to war.

I would argue, in fact, that the UN has less of a place dealing with internal issues than it does dealing with international ones.

Then again (and no offense meant) , our differing stances here seem fairly typical of the European and American mentality as to the purpose of the UNSC.
    But whether or not substantial proof is forthcoming, I'd vote yes to a campaign directed at removing Saddam as bloodlessly as humanly possible. The potential risk facing us cannot simply be ignored- the potential for harm is I believe, far greater than the loss of life likely to be sustained in an invasion.

Fundamentally, we agree here. I believe Saddam should be removed, but I have major problems with the current path being taken and the justification being offered.

The UN arms inspection is an exercise in futility if its findings will not, in fact, determine the outcome - which they wont if we are to accept the most likely outcome that the US will act even if a material breach is not found.

I cannot understand how the US can have incontrevertible proof of guilt, and yet claim that it is probable the weapons inspectors will find nothing (which has been done) despite them being willing to share information with said inspectors. Obviously either their definition of "proof" is much looser than what the english language usually intends, or they are simply not supplying this information.

Ultimately, I'm undecided as to whether the US want the UN mission to succeed or not. I have a sneaking suspicion that the UN inspectors will find nothing, the US will go in without sanction (probably alongside the UK and some others), and upon defeating Saddam will be able to easily procure the evidence that the UN inspectors couldnt find, thus justifyig their actions in retrospect.

This gives the US a win-win. It deals with Saddam (for whatever myriad of reasons that exist) and further undermines the ability of the UN to have any sort of influence on international security issues, thus giving the US even more political freedom in how it conducts its international affairs.

jc

Originally posted by bonkey
    As an aside, does this also mean that Saddam is not perfectly correct in pursuiing any research into defensive systems, given that he cannot but feel threatened (sanctions, no-fly-zone, etc) and therefore has an inalienable right to defend himself. Given that any weapon of mass distruction can effectively be used for defense as well as attack, it seems that the entire move against Saddam is in direct conflict with the inalienable rights of the nation of Iraq to defend itself.
    I would presume, yes he's entitled to be defensive, if it's another country and not the UN that makes him feel threatened by sanctions , no fly zones etc.
    The latter were imposed to ostensibly protect Kuwait to the South and, the Kurds to the North, but a bigger agenda would have been to provide opportunities to weaken Sadam militarally.
    The long term goal of that being the course of events we are seeing today.
    It seems clear to me that the U.S administration regard the U.N and countries with a softer attitude to Sadam as a nuisance and the U.S has to be seen to follow some of their rules of engagement at least initially, so as not to be seen as the big infidel.
    It's going to be interesting when this war does start as then, the weapons if they are there will come out of the wood work as they are intercepted en route for Tel a Viv perhaps.

Of course if I was a cynic also, I'd be saying what better war preparation to have, than sending in 100's of "inspectors" with the absolute power to go anywhere and research the targets for you.
    Mind you you would have to assume that the CIA were already members of the inspection team to be that cynical...

mm

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

What about the possibility that the US will provide Bin Laden, captured, once the elections come around again in 2 years, like I dont think anything else would be more effective than to capture the man who tried to destroy the "american way of life"?

--

Also I think the Iranian policy post 9/11 is the best one, while they condemmed the terrorist acts commited in 9/11 they also condemmed the terrorist acts commited by the US in afghanistain.

Of course the actions of the US did not justify 9/11 but 9/11 does not justify the current actions of the United States.

--

Also on the note of the veto, I think without the veto the Security Council would become as effective as the General Assembly, which is to say, in-effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Originally posted by daveirl
    What would you have liked them to do. Wait for the
    next attack :rolleyes:

Why is it that any time someone questions the course taken by the US that someone else has to assume the only other altnernative was "do nothing".

Put it this way daveirl - in what way does Saddam Hussein represent a terrorist threat? After all, he's next in the "war on terrorism".

jc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭poobags

Sprry to go slightly off the point, but this is relating to a post earlier on in the thread regarding a review of Stupid White Men.

The poster said that it was full of absurdities and blatant lies and then directed us to this:

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/Printable.asp?ID=1228

I have just concluded reading the article and I am in utter disbelief. How can one person be so pompous.... ah just read it for yourself. See a lack of education in full scale operation.

I especially point you towards the list half way through. This is the scariest list I have ever read in my life. Even worse than the top five ways yousr grandmother likes to pleasure herself.

Oh and the rest of the thread is getting really absurd. It had gone fully off the point. THe thread was the Republicans now have full control over congress not "justify september 11th"

What about pulling out of the kyoto agreement. Bending over for Esso. September 11th was not an attack on the Republican party it was an attack on MODERNISM and its roots in world capitalism, hence the World Trade Centre.
    Modernism is what causes fundamentalism. It cause a return to traditional religion.
    The problem is the Democrats are a pack of cock monkeys aswell. There is no-one better thatn Bush out there.
    I say give power to Hunter S. Thompson. Let freak power sort this convaluted mess out.

Advertisement