Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GigSmart's campaign in Dorans starts Thursday Week, with Otranome, Writhe and Pinion.

Options
  • 06-11-2002 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭

Please come along and support our efforts to bring you good live music, if these gigs go well then we can continue the good fight.
    If not I am throwing in the towel, I am tired of losing my own hard earned money to give your band exposure, so if you are in a band and you have or are looking to benefit from GigSmart's hard work, then come along to these gigs.
    Or I will be gone.

Thursday 14th November 2002.

otranome
    Writhe
    Pinion

Eamon Dorans

Doors at 8.00 pm

Admission:- 6.00 Euro.

Thursday 28th November 2002

Fingermouse
    The Jazzberries
    James Guilmartin

Eamon Dorans

Doors at 8.00 pm

Admission:- 6.00 Euro

Thursday 12th December 2002

Ginseng
    Minerva
    Resonance

Eamon Dorans

Doors at 8.00 pm

Admission:- 6.00 Euro

Monday 23rd December.

GigSmart Christmas Party.

Eamon Dorans

Doors at 8.00 pm.

Admission:-

6.00 to non GigSmart Folk
    5.00 to GigSmart's favourite people
    4.00 to Performers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Should be a great laugh ...hoping it will be a goo dbuzz for ourselves as it will be the last gig for us for a good while....
    Later - Trev

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

i'll try me best to make it on the 14th...dunno though....theres a big charity thing going on here in dundalk...i'll do me best...it might finish early...

if i aint there though....i hope all goes well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Keithaburke

Hey man... it's very obvious that you do a lot of hard work for gigsmart. It's very admirable and I wish you the best of luck...

Don't loose heart now my good man.

Anyway... €4 for performers? eh... does this mean guys playing on stage have to pay €4?

Keith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Niall S.

Yup it certainly does, and I make no apologies for this either.

Basically if you are playing you pay a measley € 4.00 and as soon as the overheads are paid, I intend to run a kick ass lottery, which will have a lot of shenanigans invloved which you will have to see to believe, there will be bottles of JD, Vodka, Beer all kinds of things being given away free, thats right free, basically if you pay in you get free access to our draw at the end of the night.

Trust me it wll be a night to remember and if you think that just because you are playing you shouldn't have to pay, then my question is, why should I have to pay so that you can play?
    I have lost over 300 Euro organizing gigs since August and I have made a wopping 15 Euro from one gig that I organized, other gigs I have either lost money on or they were charity gigs that I organize, I will not pocket the money from the Christmas Party, it will be spent on the night on as much booze as I can afford to be given away free on the night, but I atleast want the peace of mind in knowing that I ain't gonna take another hit.

Thats all.

Niall.

Can't argue with that man. You certainly shouldn't take a hit. I understand that you loose money sometimes. I have lost out on occasions before myself... although admitedly not €300.

Which leads to another slight quiery. I'm all on for supporting others and love when they support me. (I mean by going to gigs).

But I would hate anyone to come and pay in to see me playing if they didn't think it was worth it. I'll gladly pay money to see a band if they entertain me. I'd rather make no money and play to 5 people who listened and were interested... then play to 20 who are there so I can play a venue.

You're absolutely right. If you feel you're only going to see an artist so they can play. You should probably find another artist to watch... that appeals to you.

Keith

• Advertisement

why should I have to pay so that you can play?

The above quiery is in response to the above quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Niall S.

My meaning from the above statement, was why should It cost me 200 quid to put on a show and lose it all because the bands made zero effort to plug it, at the end of the day, the people are paying in to see the bands not to see me sit on my hands for three hours.
    I know that I have said that a few times, but it still applies. Basically all that I can do I have done to promote gigs that I am running.
    I go out and spend the extra few quid to get posters printed, I put an add on Phantom, I get flyers done, I post up te posters and do the flyer runs by myself on most occassions, and for lack of a better statement, I am f**king sick of it, I get nothing out of it, and did I mention that I also book the venue. bands have criticized me for my choice in bands, for my lack of organization, which I can't understand, do you believe that I have been criticized by a bandmember because I didn't arrange transport for him to get too and from a gig, no thats not equipment that is the actual person to get to and from the gig.

I am not going to mention names, but come on lads, I ain't even in a band and I am busting my nuts everyday to get these things organized so that when I do form my band there will be an audience to play to.

I mean who the f**k do some of these people think they are anyway, If I want to work with prima donna's I would atleast get paid for it, not have it cost me.

I ran a gig in the music centre last week, and a guy from one of the bands asked me why do GigSmart seem to give gigs to the same bands, like otranome, Ginseng, murder of crows etc, etc, etc.
    My answer is cause these bands get their finger out and go to other peoples gigs, they promote the gigs they are given, they basically work with us instead of exspecting us to do all the work.

Anyway I have said more than enough, I made a statement and I stick by it, and from now on instead of asking why does GigSmart give gigs to the same bands quite frequently ask yourself, what have you done to deserve our efforts.

Now as I said, should these gigs not go well, then I am not organizing anymore, its as simple as that.

Cheers.

Niall.

You'll burn out man.

I better not be too specific either... but let's just say I know how you feel.

I got quite dissilusioned myself for a while... so I took a break of about 6 months.

I learned to Tango dance, would you beleive? Now it's not for everyone... but I'm sure you get the point.

I think we've all come accross Primadonna's at one stage or another. Worse for them!

I hope it goes well in Eamon Dorans... to bring your thread back to it's original theme. Think positively.

Advertisement