Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom ADSL, line failed

Options
  • 06-11-2002 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Folks, Eircom inititially told me that my line was fine with regard to installing ADSL, now when I've gone to order the service, I'm told that the line failed, how p!ssed off am I. The young one on the end of the phone couldn't give me specific details but instead told me to get onto the local exchange, which has proved impossible. I want to know why the line has now been deemed unsuitable for ADSL, preferably by speaking with an engineer. Has anyone got any contacts that would allow me get thru the bulletproof PABX that is the Blanchardstown exchange?

Cheers

Fing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Finglas Incubus
    Has anyone got any contacts that would allow me get thru the bulletproof PABX that is the Blanchardstown exchange?

Sorry don't have any idea how to speak to them (asides going up to the blanch centre where the exchange is and banging on the door), but surely Eircom should *tell* you why your line failed.

It could be anything from degradation of the cable in your area, to electrical interference, and also, even if you're within the 3km limit as the crow flies, the cable itself may not be, they can double it back on itself so it can be easy to think you're within the required distance when in fact you're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

check the ioffl forums.
    a lot of unhappy people there after being told yes then no.

eircom never really gives a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

Sorry don't have any idea how to speak to them (asides going up to the blanch centre where the exchange is and banging on the door), but surely Eircom should *tell* you why your line failed.

Theres no talking to them, they just don't want to give out the info

check the ioffl forums.

Yeah I see a few people have had issues. The thing is I went out and spent a few quid on a decent ADSL router and now all I have is a fu<kin' paperweight! Not impressed....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

ahhhh a Material Loss

They passed you and then failed you ....right.

In Good Faith and as a consequence of them telling you you passed, you bought the router ...paid for delivery etc. paid for postage took time off work. etc adding up to €nnn.nn total.

Write to (registered post)

J G Ryan
    Company Secretary
    Eircom
    St Stephens Green
    D2

Demand full recompense for all the above in the form of a full credit on your bill and tell them where to pick up said useless article during office hours.

If it fails then take JG Ryan to the Small Claims Court , simple form to fill and it costs €10 or so. You have a fabulous case against them.....especially if JG won't do what he is supposed to.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Problem with taking them to small claims would be evidence.

Do you have a letter or the name of the person who said you passed the test?

If not, it's a pretty weak case you have there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

I was in a house a few months back and got a line test - it failed.
    Moved house and tried again in the new house, failed again. Was told to try again in a few months :rolleyes:

I was a bit miffed and mentioned it at work. The guy who deals with Eircom here rang up his contact who came back with the reply that the line was fine. Had it installed and its working perfectly since.

Not sure how they do the tests but if you can get someone who doesn't just read something off a screen and actually tests the line you may get a different result.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

I want to know why the line has now been deemed unsuitable for ADSL

they cant tell you. All they get is a Pass or Fail light. My line failed, I got a second line in 'speicifically for dsl'... it failed iswell, upgraded to ISDN, then was told to downgrad, tested the line, failed again, upgraded to isdn again.... still with isdn now.

I live around 2miles away from my exchange but the actual cable itself is 5.2Km in length from the exchange

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

they cant tell you. All they get is a Pass or Fail light. My line failed, I got a second line in 'speicifically for dsl'... it failed iswell,

I am almost certain that they can tell you what the problem is with your line ... they use a machine in a yellow box called a megger (I repaired a few of them for Eircon when I worked in Galway years back, used by electricians as well) ... basically they can use the machine to fairly accurately estimate the length of a cable ... also they can very very very accurately measure the impedance of the line (IIRC this is how it calculates the length of the wire) .. and I am pretty sure it is the impedance of the line that dictates if you can get adsl or not

I cant remember but I think they could use the meggers to estimate the distance to a line break as well .. or it may be my imagination about that ...

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

I was a bit miffed and mentioned it at work. The guy who deals with Eircom here rang up his contact who came back with the reply that the line was fine. Had it installed and its working perfectly since.

I don't know why I didn't think of that, I'm off to speak with our corporate a/c manager in eircom to see if he can do some digging. If I get anywhere I'll let yehs know - Fing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

I persisted with the manager at 1800 503303 and now have ADSL. It took three months altogether but I got the result. I can say that the road won't be easy unless you get someone within Eircom to fly the flag for you.
    They can repair faults on lines but the problem with finding out what the fault is comes from the fact that ADSL guys have no idea about PSTN and copper lines and the PSTN guys have no idea about ADSL. If it wasn't a fairly foolproof technology, I doubt that anyone would have it in Ireland. Eircom is a mess when it comes to faults on lines with regard to ADSL and they don't really give a sh*t.
    I posted a lengthy account of my trials to date a while ago in the IOFFL forum is you want to take a look.

BigEejit, a megger in electrical terms is a high voltage resistance tester. I never heard of 'megger' as a capacitance tester. The traditional way of finding length and length to faults is time domain reflectometry (TDR) technology. Basically sends out a pulse and listens for a reply which it times. The tester needs to know what type of cable is being tested to be accurate.
    Neil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

a megger in electrical terms is a high voltage resistance tester. I never heard of 'megger' as a capacitance tester
    Avo are the current manufacturer of megger instruments (look for megger on google)... there are literally hundreds of different types of meters / scopes etc with the megger name ... When we fixed eircons meggers we tested them to make sure they were working by measuring the length of a cable with them (IIRC eircom supplied a length of their standard cable for this purpose)
    The traditional way of finding length and length to faults is time domain reflectometry (TDR) technology.
    While they may have that technology around the place, that isnt what we tested / used ....
    The tester needs to know what type of cable is being tested to be accurate.
    The line guys (should) know exactly what sort of cable is used just by looking at it ... the specific properties of the cables are also known...
    E.G. when my parents had the phone line upgraded it had 8 cores plus a few aluminium cores for strength .. that type of cable is standard now around the country AFAIK .. the properties of the cable are also well known ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Folks, Eircom inititially told me that my line was fine with regard to installing ADSL, now when I've gone to order the service, I'm told that the line failed, how p!ssed off am I. The young one on the end of the phone couldn't give me specific details but instead told me to get onto the local exchange, which has proved impossible. I want to know why the line has now been deemed unsuitable for ADSL, preferably by speaking with an engineer. Has anyone got any contacts that would allow me get thru the bulletproof PABX that is the Blanchardstown exchange?

Cheers

Fing

PM with contact details sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Cheers

Fing

I'm in D.15 and was told the same thing. Matt Simis similar details would also be appreciated.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

I also had a similar problem, line failed then mysteriously passed.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69142

Advertisement