Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

named Drivers

Options
  • 06-11-2002 12:35pm

I just got a named driver aged 21 with a provisional licence insured untill october(renewal date) on my 02 jeep for €583.
    Thats with FBD, and I think it's quite cheap.
    What is the worst or the best that could be charged for this, and why should it be so expensive with some??

mm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

That is very good. Do you have land insured with them or what? They generally don't do motor insurance for the average punter off the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

FBD are very cheap alright. They dont take a hell of a lot of people on their mtoro insurance books so that most likely why they do it cheap. I know one guy getting insurance in his own name on a Audi S3 (1.8T 210BHP) for around 900 with them and another guy with the same car can only get insurance on his for around 2.5K.

As for me well I am under my dads policy and the total premium is only around 400 yoyo's but thats due for renewal in Jan :(.

kayos

Originally posted by Stephen
    That is very good. Do you have land insured with them or what? They generally don't do motor insurance for the average punter off the street.
    Yeap the business here is with them.
    I also lost my no claims bonus earlier in the year, and yet my insurance did not go up much.
    They told me that with them , the premium is unaffected with a first claim except if I left them and went to another company they would not have a no claims bonus to pass on for me so I would pay through the roof:eek:
    I never knew that was the way they operated, but they are good :)
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Man
    Yeap the business here is with them.

damn, I never taught of Fbd, my company van is insured by FBD and I'm looking to get insured on my own Focus... any tips on how and what to say when calling them up would be appreciated :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

My mam and I were quoted €2880 on an 87 Nissan Micra 1 Litre.

Her insurance is €380, mine is the rest :( €2500. Can this be bettered does anyone think ?

Slaan.

That's with AXA btw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

fuk thats some money for a micra. when i started driving on a 96 micra 2 years ago it was 400 pounds for myself and the mother. she got a new car jan 01 and still wasn't too much more. just got the policy renewed last week and it 2100 euro for the 2 of us and only 300 of that is for her. so mines 1800. thats on a 1.5 litre almera. ring around you might be able to do better

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

oh and I'm 21, prov license, soon to get a full(hopefully).

Slaan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

i forgot age. i'lll be 20 in december. full licence since march. no claims or convictions

Hmmm,
    From what I have seen they will insure a business and say a house and any motors you have if you have all your insurance with them.
    They won't do a car on it's own:(
    Business could be say, a garage with a few carpentry tools ( a vat number would be convincing) , but that might only work if you are putting a house with them as well.
    I know locally here they have shops, pubs,garages and a tile showroom insured amongst others.
    They used be strictly a farmers only company but they have long since branched out from that.

Possibly if you have an employer who is insured with them, you could get them to lease/hp your van or car on your behalf and let them insure it with FBD for you:) , you paying the cost of course...

I'm not sure if they will insure an urban house but its worth a try, as say you were giving them the business of insuring a house and two cars , that might be significant enough to tempt them.
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Recently passed my test.

i own a peugeot 405 1.9D (non turbo)

My policy was €4000, dropped to around 3 now that I have the test passed.

So i figured I'd ask if I could put on the girlfriend, 23, no previous experience, provisional. €115

FFS

oh and they let me pull a trailer now for free, would've been €600 to be allowed do that with the prov.

Of course I haven't actually pulled a trailer yet, but I can.

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

Originally posted by Slaanesh
    My mam and I were quoted €2880 on an 87 Nissan Micra 1 Litre.

Her insurance is €380, mine is the rest :( €2500. Can this be bettered does anyone think ?

Slaan.

That's with AXA btw.

I have my own, third party fire & theft, insurance on an '85 1.0L Micra (sh1tbox) and it is about €2300. This is with Hibernian and I did the Ignition course. I'm 22 with a full license. I know from a friend that works in insurance that premiums automatically go up with the age of the car. My understanding is that cars over 10 years old have higher insurance costs and same again for cars over 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

i'm 19 provisional license, insured as a named driver on a 01 ford fiesta 1.3 for €2400, €2000 of which is my cost, which i think is pretty decent considering sone of my friends quotes, thats with quinn insurance.

unfortunatly its due for a renewal in january and i've been told to expect a increase of around €1500 :(

not good

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by JohnBoy
    So i figured I'd ask if I could put on the girlfriend, 23, no previous experience, provisional. €115

Added GF to insurance last year (AXA) - one month to go on my policy, they gave me a €30 refund without ever asking if she'd ever been in a car.

i went to fbd trying to get insured with them on a focus, but you need to be 27 minimum. I then asked my boss to ring up on my behalf (our company is insured by FBD) but we still had no luck. The only way I can get insured on them with a private car is to 'give' the car to my company and then get it insured through the company... but if the company goes bust, then the companies assist's (ie, my car) will be taken, which is a no no me thinks.

Having been insured with Fbd on a company van for 2 years and 30,000 miles under my belt means absolutly f*ck all to them :mad:

Originally posted by ando
    i went to fbd trying to get insured with them on a focus, but you need to be 27 minimum. I then asked my boss to ring up on my behalf (our company is insured by FBD) but we still had no luck. The only way I can get insured on them with a private car is to 'give' the car to my company and then get it insured through the company... but if the company goes bust, then the companies assist's (ie, my car) will be taken, which is a no no me thinks.

Having been insured with Fbd on a company van for 2 years and 30,000 miles under my belt means absolutly f*ck all to them :mad:
    Well they were definitely feeding you a line there, because my brother got insured with them at 23, albeit with a house and a business aswell.
    mm

check you private message's man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Anybody with Engineering qualifications ?

If you're a member of the iei you can get cheap car insurance with a Dublin based broker, details are on their site.

When I was 22 (1998) I only just got my provisional and didn't want to drive a 1L car so I got myself a toyota corolla 1.3 and got insured for £1190, not including car obviously.
    Still had my provisional when I was 24 and got insured in a 1.5 twin cam mitsubishi for the same, I'm paying €1100 in the same mitsubishi now, under my provisional policy still (only just did my test).

whats the broker's name? and do they consider ppl who are 21, male with 1.4 car's ?

I don't want to join and later find out i cant even get a quote !

Advertisement