Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BRIGHTE EYES + 11-piece band - Whelan's this Sat

Options
  • 06-11-2002 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

POD.ie presents the next great American songwriter…

BRIGHT EYES

+ special guests from Saddle Creek Records, Nebraska…

THE GOOD LIFE
    AZURE RAY

Whelan’s, Wexford St

Sat 9th November 2002. Doors 8pm.

Tickets €14.50 from usual outlets.

This Saturday see the visit of the most exciting songwriter to emerge from the US underground in a long time and an act that are being tipped to become the major force for the next number of years – 22-year old Conor Oberst and his band BRIGHT EYES which will travel as an eleven-piece band including a string section for this date. Those who saw BRIGHT EYES stuff Whelan’s with a 5-piece band last year will be particularly excited about the return with the full live show.

This tour will be to promote the release of BRIGHT EYES widely-acclaimed recent fourth album – ‘Lifted Or…’. The band will feature members of Bright Eyes Nebraska-based record company Saddle Creek – The Good Life and Azure Ray – each of whom will also play 30 minutes sets at the show.

“What an album – just when you thought he couldn’t get any better… Those who love it will come to do so with desparate force” Mojo

“Stunning. 3/3” Sunday Times

“On the strength of his fourth album, the American press are already comparing Conor Oberst to a young Bob Dylan. For once it’s no exaggeration to say he creeps closer to that rarified realm than any other songwriter of his generation.” NME

“A breathtakingly beautiful record.” Timeout

BRIGHT EYES

"Lifted or The Story Is In The Soil. . ." is the much anticipated fifth album from the prodigiously talented Conor Oberst and his Bright Eyes ensemble. This is a landmark album proclaiming Oberst the voice of his generation.

Born 1980 in Omaha, Nebraska and recording since the age of 13, Conor owns a voice that quakes with the tumultuous energy that only youth can produce. Oberst's music and dark poetry paint intricate pictures of love, despair and salvation. He is nothing short of genius.

"The Story Is In The Soil" was written by Oberst and played by him and the notable cast of Bright Eyes players. Oberst's mainstay production team of Mike Moggis (Lullaby For The Working Classes) and Andy Lemaster (Now It's Overheard) lend performances on the record along with other noteworthy Omaha musicians including Todd and Clarke Baechle (The Faint), Orenda Fink and Maria Taylor (Azure Ray), Matt Maginn and Clint Schnase (Cursive), and Jiha Lee (The Good Life).

Bright Eyes most recent tour of the US was a triumph. Each and every night sold out; Oberst giving a performance worthy of the young Dylan. He took to the stage in a powder blue suit, surrounded by six beautiful female musicians, his sense of bona fide showmanship entrancing his audience. At the two shows at New York's Bowery Balllroom, one could hear a pin drop between songs as an audience was left in awe - proof positive that Oberst has arrived.

It is anticipated that Bright Eyes will tour the UK in the Autumn. A limited edition EP - five hundred copies - entitled "There Is No Beginning To The Story" will be released in July prior to the album's release.

Conor Oberst on the LP "Lifted or The Story Is In The Soil Keep Your Ear To The Ground":

The Big Picture - "This is the introduction, the doorway into the record. You see you are sitting in your car on a rainy day absent-mindedly staring at the road while the music plays and then somewhere mid song you are "sucked in" to the tape deck through that little swinging door, where you remain for the next 70 so minutes. It's sort of like that movie "The Never-Ending Story" where the little kid gets sucked into that fat old book.

Method Acting - "The first proper song on the record. It is about the physical act of singing, from the chants of ancient peoples to the howling of wild dogs, we just can't live without it."

False Advertising- "Think people from some other time - big dresses and suits with coat -tails - dancing in perfect unison in some beautiful banquet hall or on the deck of a ship. But the set is an obvious facade, like in a musical. But because of the expressions on their faces it is oh so believable."

You Will. You? Will. You? Will. You? Will. - "The title says it all. It's about first loves, going home and peoples' inabilities to ever make up their minds."

Lover I Don't Have To Love - "A sad song about sex, drugs, and . . .rock n roll."

Bowl of Oranges - "The most optimistic song I have ever written. It makes me feel good to sing it. Some days it feels more true than others."

Don't Know When But A Day Is Gonna Come - "A long song but it used to be longer. I cut some verses out. I wrote all the words in one sitting, which doesn't happen that often for me. I like the last few measures with all the drums it makes me think of people being beheaded."

Nothing Gets Crossed Out. "About worrying too much and having insane amounts of love for old friends. (Look for The Good Life's record “Blackout" available in the U.K. this fall on Wichita)"

Make War - "A country song about certain city girls."

Waste of Paint - "A thousand words and only three chords."

From a Balance Beam - "I like the bass line a lot in this song as well as the hammer dulcmer. And the general lushness of it all. It’s about mistakes, miracles, media, polarity, rebirth, fear and fate and some other **** like love and language."

Laura Laurent - "I used to hang with a girl named Laura Laurent who lives in Chicago, IL or South Bend, IN or Los Angeles CA. I'm not sure where."

Lets Not **** Ourselves - "This is the final, longest and loudest song on the record... it covers many topics lyrically but has one basic message...Love Love Love while there is still time."

Advertisement