Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HOw do I go about reporting someone for Dangerous Driving?

• 06-11-2002 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Normally, I leave well alone when someone does something stupid on the roads, after all we all make mistakes now and again. What I saw just a few minutes ago though was possibly the worst display of ignorance and assholeness ever.

Starts at the triangle in Ranelagh. I have a green light to turn onto Ranelagh road, but we're all waiting for an ambulance we can see coming. But there's a guy in front of the ambulance in a silver car. Eventually the ambulance literally forces the silver car to pull over and drives off. This silver car, seeing us all stopped (but *just* about to go), breaks his lights (they've been red for 2 minutes) and follows the ambulance down towards clonskeagh.

Needless to say, I catch up with said individual at the next lights and move in front of him. We both get stuck behind traffic - it *is* the Ranelagh road after all. Being a bike, I'm quite close to the center of the road, so this silver car takes it upon himself to overtake on my left hand side, probably gaining him maybe 4 feet on his previous position :rolleyes:. I fall back behind him - I'm quite interested to see if he's going to take the next left. Nope, he's swerving violently around the road, trying to overtake the 5 vehicles in front of him. On the Ranelagh road. In heavy traffic. Needless to say, his position in the queue didn't improve.

Well, now I'm just intrigued. I move to front of the queue at the next lights (coming onto Clonskeagh road). He catches up with me again (I don't want to know how he got past the other traffic) about 400m down the road, and we're all stopped, letting a truck reverse into a narrow lane - a common sight at this particular lane. He looks like he's about to go, but the size of truck seems to deter him. Next set of lights, I'm still in front of him, because he's managed to turn a 2-lane junction into 3 lanes by putting his car in the middle of the road. From the green light, he's up my ass, twice driving on the other side of the road, ready to overtake, before quickly swerving back to avoid a collision. And I'm doing 45mph. We hit traffic again, and he starts his swerving antics. I pull off into UCD, a bit pissed that the lights weren't red so I could go up and give him a bit of a (ear) bashing. Grrrrr...

Did I mention he did all of his antics while chatting away on the phone?

Fs.......for posterity (and so I don't forget) his number plate is 00-D-22259 <--- If this is your father/brother/neighbour, he's an asshole.

Now, does anyone know how I'll go about reporting him?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Eh, ring the local garda station? Or their traffic watch number - which I can't recall just now, but I think the traffic watch scheme is just a trial thing here in the south east at the moment.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

ya seamus, ring the cops and give the reg. number, we don't need assholes like that on the road

I will so. Tis a pity though, there's not really much they can do. Even if I'd stopped and reported him, once he saw a garda car he'd drive like a sane person again :( No justice

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Even if the cops received a few dangerous driving reports of random people would they not slap him with a fine or a few points.

--oh and for the record..
    Do not ring AA traffic information to complain about bad drivers the state of the irish road infrastructure etc..

It is a line dedicated to the intake of traffic info to be used on radio reports and the AA's automated service.

Originally posted by Chief---
    --oh and for the record..
    Do not ring AA traffic information to complain about bad drivers the state of the irish road infrastructure etc..

It is a line dedicated to the intake of traffic info to be used on radio reports and the AA's automated service.

Why are you telling me? I work with you, you m0ng :p

I rang Ranelagh and talked to a rather lethargic sounding country Garda who told me he'd 'make a note of the reg and keep and eye out'. Why do I feel strangely unfulfilled?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

I reported so total nuts drivers before and I normally get the "nothing can be done" or "will you testify in court" routine's. They dont seem to want to do anything about them its too much hastle and paper work.

kayos

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by seamus
    Why are you telling me? I work with you, you m0ng :p

I rang Ranelagh and talked to a rather lethargic sounding country Garda who told me he'd 'make a note of the reg and keep and eye out'. Why do I feel strangely unfulfilled?

Phone Harcourt Street - they're actually quite good at taking these reports seriously.

And phone 1890 205805 - that's the TrafficWatch number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

It might be no bad to take the reg no's of a few other cars as well, and let the gardaí know that these people would have seen yer man acting the maggot as well - may or may not help to build a case against muppets like this in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭s10

now thats an idea ..
    What kind of bike do you drive ?
    i find that mopeds annoy me , when they pull up infront of traffic
    lights & then pull off slowly ( or as fast as they can go )
    with no regard that there is a bmw or mercedes behind them that can't physically take off that slowly " 0-45mph in 1minute"
    I would get annoyed if that were me .........
    but i ride a tdm 850 and any muppet who wants a race in the city is just being an ass o
    i always drive safe car or bike ,
    thats why god invented go-karts
    the way i see it is if you cant report someone for dangerous driving, then your on your own out there ,unless i pull up beside you

:mad:

2 wheels good 4 wheels bad (unless=2bikes>124cc)