Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hope this ain't old redundant news

Options
  • 06-11-2002 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

I was on to eircom and wile having my line upgraded to ISDN, I was informed that by March 2003 _all_ telephone exchanges will be converted to (A)DSL and that all these exchanges will interoperate with ISDN, meaning no requirement to downgrade your line before having (A)DSL installed! Now March 2003?! Here's me hoping!

Dizz

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by IrishDizz
    I was on to eircom and wile having my line upgraded to ISDN, I was informed that by March 2003 _all_ telephone exchanges will be converted to (A)DSL and that all these exchanges will interoperate with ISDN, meaning no requirement to downgrade your line before having (A)DSL installed! Now March 2003?! Here's me hoping!

Dizz

Not much use having an enabled exhange if they are gonna charge such rediculous fees. If they bring the price down to a minimum of €50- €60 for 512Kb/s with no cap then maybe I'll get it installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

1 During the summer Eircom told me they were "working on" enabling transfer from ISDN to DSL without insisting on people paying to downgrad to PSTN first. However they did not know how long it would be before they could offer it. This should save people in this situtation about €120.

2 "By March 2003 All telphone exchanges will be converted to (a)DSL"
    This is news to me! I know thay have 3 phases of upgrading planned but they have not announced which exchanges are due when.

Can the Committee ask the Ericom PR Department to formally confirm whether either or both of these two pieces of news are correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

I hope they are correct as I'm just repeating what I heard from the lady at the other end (an eircom high-speed sales person)
    I would be great if we could get confirmation of this.
    The upgrade of exchanges would make sense when you consider that eircom revenues will drop when flat rate access is introduced. By doing this they buoy their revenues.

Dizz

BTW: those who are in Bray - the exchange is (A)DSL capable, if u wanna pay over the odds :s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Think about it why bother getting ISDN if youll have to pay to change your line back when ADSL become availble.But hold on Eircon have the soloution go for ISDN **NOW** and when ADSL(HAHA) arrives youll be able to change over without having to convert back.Exuse me for being sceptical about Eircon famous promises.

Advertisement