Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer locking (AthlonXP)

• 06-11-2002 6:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

Okay, got myself an AthlonXP 1800 chip. When I have it running at 133 FSB the computer locks up after about 30 minutes of use. This isn't under stress, ie. not playing any games or anything.

I ran CPU cool and see that the temperature looks to be fine, not getting over 45 degrees at the most, although it has locked at as low as 42 degrees (CPU Temperature). The computer runs grand when I lower the fsb to 100.

I am looking at getting a better Heatsink and fan. I am currently using the heatsink/fan combo which came with the AthlonXP as a package.

Although I'm reluctant in getting a new heatsink/fan as I do not believe it is the CPU that's causing the locking.

Could it be the memory of Graphics Card ? Not sure about the memory I can check that when I get home, but the graphics card is a geforce 2 ddr. The AGP Port is set at 2x.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Check what slots you have your ram in, most boards these days require you to start with the slot furthest away from the cpu. Also try with 1 stick of ram if you have more than 1 in it currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

RAM is in the first slot (only have 1 256 stick) nearest the CPU. I'll move it to the last slot to see if that makes any difference when I get home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Korg

I had the same problem, turned out to be the motherboard, (abit kg7), brought it back to IT direct, replaced it (eventually) & all was well.

'Course RAM, processer, video card could be at fault as well :(

Advertisement