Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork gets a lot more DSL than expected

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Anyone know where the exchange in ballincollig is?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

Apparently yes. All the lines are tested after the exchange has its dslams fitted (and other equipment required to provde DSL) and enabled and the results are entered into a database. When your line is tested the result is just being pulled from a database.

If Esat are going ahead and installing DSL for me, yet according to the €ircon online form I fail the line test.... what the F€ck is going on?

Do esat do their tests and €ircon do their's? If so then it raises an interesting question.... why did I pass esat's test but not €ircon's?

I'm a bit suspicious about eircom. I think there are a lot of people going to fail the test who could quite easily get 512kbps access, if maybe not higher access speeds.

Another thought.... Can someone explain what happens during the test?

Does the phone have to be plugged in or what? Mine is usually plugged out to give the internet cable sole access to the socket. Can the test go ahead with nothing plugged into the socket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 morges

Originally posted by DC
    Another thought.... Can someone explain what happens during the test?

Does the phone have to be plugged in or what? Mine is usually plugged out to give the internet cable sole access to the socket. Can the test go ahead with nothing plugged into the socket?

The test is performed periodically and automatically in the exchange and the results are stored in a database. When you do the check your line "test" in the www.adsl.ie website, the system is performing a database lookup against stored test info.

It's a con really because AFAICS you could have a perfectly good DSL suitable line and this check might return a message to the effect that your line is not DSL suitable - because they haven't installed a DSLAM in the exchange in question. The whole thing is misleading and confused.

I know someone who was continually failing the test until they complained to the ODTR about the test procedure. A few days later the same line passed the test!

The entire process stinks. And I don't just mean the DSL testing procedure. Or how eircom is run.....

morges

I've just put in a whole host of numbers surrounding Churchfield, including Churchfield National School which is next door! They all fail....

Maybe they have only just gone into Churchfield and the database hasn't been updated yet. Or maybe its just €ircon :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Originally posted by DC
    I've just put in a whole host of numbers surrounding Churchfield, including Churchfield National School which is next door! They all fail....
    The A/c number and the phone number must be the correct combination otherwise you get the "Unfortunately the numbers you have submitted do not currently meet the specifications required to support ADSL".

viking

Not very intelligent validation.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Mark McG

DC: Did you get anything back from Esat? I think you should be getting yours soon (based on an earlier post). I assume that your number failed the Eircon online test.

Mark.

AFAIK, an engineer from Esat will call in about 3 weeks from now to arrange an installation time. Seems to be taking a couple of weeks more than I originally was told, but it reflects the situation of someone else who just got DSL from Churchfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Originally posted by viking
    The A/c number and the phone number must be the correct combination otherwise you get the "Unfortunately the numbers you have submitted do not currently meet the specifications required to support ADSL".

viking

Well that makes sense, I stuck in me ma's account number and having failed on our own line (Cabra West... apparently dsl enabled exchange but not dsl capable. Is it me or is that getting annoying?), stuck in the number of beyond 2000, a computer shop in the city centre, which also failed.
    Which was confusing, as they apparently have two DSL lines, which made me assume either eircom was bolleacs, or the test was.
    A valid assumption nonetheless!

Now that I mention it... I've heard a lot of "my exchange is enabled but I amn't... why?!" comments on the boards in the last while... has anyone thought of setting up some kind of poll/database where we could ascertain the ratio of enabled exchanges to actual dsl availability?

It's really a bit stupid to have people living up the road from a dsl enabled exchange and not be dsl enabled, and then have eircom go on about how fast eircom hi-speed is anyway... (grrrr)

zynaps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by zynaps
    Now that I mention it... I've heard a lot of "my exchange is enabled but I amn't... why?!" comments on the boards in the last while... has anyone thought of setting up some kind of poll/database where we could ascertain the ratio of enabled exchanges to actual dsl availability?

I would be a lot more convinced about that line tester if I met even one person who entered their details and got a "Yup, your exchange is enabled, your line is capable, you can have DSL (and an empty wallet)"

Just one person - any takers?

And while yer at it, how about one person who already has ADSL to stick in their number and see what emerges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Originally posted by De Rebel
    I would be a lot more convinced about that line tester if I met even one person who entered their details and got a "Yup, your exchange is enabled, your line is capable, you can have DSL (and an empty wallet)"

*Raises Hand*

I'm in Dublin 16, just never bothered checking before. There's no way that I can pay what they're asking, but at least there's hope (in 20 years time when it is finally affordable... :mad: )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by maxheadroom
    *Raises Hand*

What does it actually say to you ?

It gives a P.O. Box number to post your wallet to :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It gives a P.O. Box number to post your wallet to :D

Plus a blood sample, a credit report, and your firstborn child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Nothing nearly so honest, I'm afraid :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

I live in Douglas, very close to the exchange and my ISDN line passes the online test for ADSL (shock horror !!). There is also an analogue line here which fails, it has three caller display phones attached in various places though so that probably doesn't help it, but clearly they can test ISDN lines for ADSL now as mine passes...

Advertisement