Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN TA's

Options
  • 06-11-2002 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

I'm looking to buy one - any recommendations? I'd prefer an external TA rather than have to use another PCI slot. Anyone?

Dizz

PS: Sorry if the Q's been asked before

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

I've an eicon diva.. it's internal pci.. never had any trouble with it.. gives good download speeds (7k/s) and excellent ping for gaming

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

asus internal ta, £30 , very reliable and great for pings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

I have a USB terminal modem and it's called a "DrayTek miniVigor USB ISDN modem". It's not bad in that it is very small. USB and comes with decent drives... can use both channels if desired and has drivers for RedHat and works on a mac. It's about 90 Euro...

Here's what I think of it (and ISDN in general... had a 56K dialup up til now.......)

I have found compared to a dial-up Analogue modem it is a dream as it connects almost instantly and rarely disconnects. Encourages use as the Ordeal factor is eliminated. Typical "good" compressed download rates are 7 or 8 Ks on a single 64 K channel. One annoying aspect is when the device just sits there when you are browsing. Half the page might load.. then wait wait wait... 40 secs later it might pick up again. Just wondering if that sounds common? Then again it could be just Eircom traffic as it comes in high rate bursts then long pauses. This is on Win XP.

Anyone with other opinions on USB or PCI terminal ISDN modems, ie which is better suited? Especially Eircom ones which come with a typical ISDN Hi-speed install.

*** = Like tonight... terribly slow... except mail is fast. Hitting Send/Receive helps the net to pick up too! Very Strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

I'd say its your usb modem, I never have them problems with internal PCI asus TA. I've used your modem on a few mac's alright. It works ok, but it did'nt impress

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Yep, I'm being pointed towards a PCI Isdn modem. Must look into it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement