Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Corruption In Donegal

Options
  • 06-11-2002 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

I dunno countless threads on the evil USA and EU but not a sausage on the evil right under our noses!

Is anyone else here gobsmaked at the revelations and acuasations
    comming out of the latest tribunal looking into the Donegal police.

So far we've had a cop threatening someone with a loaded gun,
    a shotgun being planted on travellers, bogus arms finds, explosives planted to implicate others, two garda who can't account for thier movments when Richie Barron was killed, and one suspects much more to come.

While most cops are perfectly decent honest folk as most priests
    are, the Morris Tribunal could do for the Garda what the revelations of child abuse have done for the Catholic church.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think that because it has been such a long drawn out affair, many people suspected they had been quite dirty in the independent republic of Donegal (local politics is rife with corruption there, then again, as elsewhere), in particular as there was the story of them planting explosive in the North. However, to suggest the Gardaí may have been involved in murder has surprised most people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

At this stage it's impossible to know who to believe. Unless more evidence is revealed it's extremely difficult to come to any conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

Originally posted by mike65

the Morris Tribunal could do for the Garda what the revelations of child abuse have done for the Catholic church.

Mike.

I'm not quite sure that it will, Mike. I believe the terms of reference granted to the Morris tribunal are too narrow. For instance, the tribunal should be allowed to examine the DPP, the State Solicitor (why were 200 summons issued to one family) and even the Minister for Justice himself. This whole affair suggests a wider context than the local Donegal Gardai.

And shouldn't the McBrearty's be granted a barrister at the tribunal's expense. The State has almost one hundred legal representatives while the family at the centre of all this have been told they must pay for their own representation which apparently they cannot afford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Murphys

Yes those actions by corrupt Donegal police were terrible and totally unlawful, and I hope thy're all sent to jail, but ...

<mod edit>
    Off topic trolling deleted
    </mod edit>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jesus! :mad: This guy is like a vandal in the Lourve with a marker pen! Well you know what I mean....

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 corley

Back to the original point of this thread...the thing about what's happened in Donegal is that a strong effort is being made to portray it as being a Donegal-only affair so that people say "Ah shrr, Donegal's a bit different". Already we're starting to see evidence that in fact Gardai from HQ in Dublin were involved in this affair aswell - watch this one closely and see if they can manage to contain it within Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

Originally posted by corley
    "Ah shrr, Donegal's a bit different"

we're not different!! :rolleyes:

but i agree, they seem to be trying to confine the corruption to Donegal.

Advertisement