Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noob ADSL question

Options
  • 06-11-2002 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,442 ✭✭✭✭

My brother lives about 2 miles outside Carrigaline in Cork. The local ADSL engineer is suggesting that if he gets 512/128 ADSL, he would end up sharing the 512 bit with the neighbours. Is this correct?

Sister lives in Malahide, is it wired for ADSL?

Thansk guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Yes, the bandwidth on ADSL is normally shared with other users.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

No noooo... surely the 512k isnt shared? It's the 2MB (or whatever) line to the exchange line that's shared, isnt it? I wouldnt be connected at 256k when my next door neighbour is connected at the same time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I live in Malahide and the exchange is not ADSL capable yet AFAIK. The swords exchange is so i'd imagine it won't be long now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by PiE
    No noooo... surely the 512k isnt shared? It's the 2MB (or whatever) line to the exchange line that's shared, isnt it? I wouldnt be connected at 256k when my next door neighbour is connected at the same time.
    Yes, but the 2MB line is not shared with just 4 users, it is shared with far more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by PiE
    The 512k is yours alone as far as the exchange. From there you have a 1/24th share in a 512k line from the exchange to the rest of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

From there you have a 1/24th share in a 512k line from the exchange to the rest of the world.

1/24th ... thats a lot of people sharing 512k ... if there are a lot of business uses signed up in you area will the connection be brutal during business hours? ... ffs 1/24th of 512k ... I suppose .. what can ye expect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Yes you are sharing its called the contention ratio Eircoms is 24 -1 and as far as I know Esat have not released this information yet .

and no Malahide is not enabled. But Whtehall and the Sutton exchanges are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

I emailed Esat BT sales and got this:

"The contention ratio is 20:1 for our DSL service".

-Son of Blam

Originally posted by the Guru
    Yes you are sharing its called the contention ratio Eircoms is 24 -1 and as far as I know Esat have not released this information yet .

and no Malahide is not enabled. But Whtehall and the Sutton exchanges are.

Would you have any idea when eircom plan to upgrade the malahide exchange? I'm currently working from home 2 days a week and am sick to death with horrorificly slow ISDN.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

From what I can see all telcos that are offering broadband are concentrating on the country regions at the Moment so your guess is a good as mine.

Why dont you try 128k I used it about a month ago and I was suprised at the download speed.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by the Guru
    From what I can see all telcos that are offering broadband are concentrating on the country regions at the Moment so your guess is a good as mine.

Why dont you try 128k I used it about a month ago and I was suprised at the download speed.

*Splutter* That would be a little pricey now wouldn't it, i use the net during the day:) The fact you last connected at 128k a month ago suggests your also aware of the astronomical cost of connecting with both channels...
    I think Eircom/EsatBT should adjust it's roll out stratagy for ADSL by population density. As mentioned above the sutton exchange has been upgraded.
    Baldoyle/Sutton pop.14,600 Approximately
    Malahide /Portmarnock pop.28,400 Approximately
    The exchange in swords(2km from Malahide) has been enabled and has a population of 30,000 Approximately.

Advertisement