Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Those fibre rings

Options
  • 06-11-2002 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭

Can someone point me to documentation on the various state sponsored fibre rings that were built ?

This Esat train track one, I thought someone said CIE also layed their own when this went down ? This true ?

Is the train track one by Esat actually working ?

Who else got money to lay fibre ?

Do compulsory purchase orders work on fibre resources ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,401 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

this is probably (definitely) out of date by now but have a look at the maps of the fibre rings and proposed fibre rings
    from the previous discussion it looks like some of this has been implemeted (gets up off the floor in amazement)
    http://www.t4eb.ie/frame.htm
    also my website www.edcoconsulting.com has a news section where i was going o put info about broadband in the northwest as you may see there hasn't been much mention in the northwest press

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

edwnireland - I read your news items. I'd like to clarify that the amount of funding set aside for the first call was 66M not 20M, so Letterkenny actually got about 6.5% of the funding. For an 18km network, the price of 4.3M is actually quite expensive.

To date Limerick, Cork, Galway, South-East Region, Leitrim (2 towns), Westmeath (6 towns) and Mayo (2 towns) are in advanced stages of their fibre projects.

Don't also forget about the Wester Digital Corrider owned by Esat BT but funded by the Government.

ESAT BT are indeed using their CIE network as their national backbone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,401 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

sorry i just ocr'd the paper - anyway i hear the letterkenny project's been canned anyway

Internet! Is that thing still around? - homer simpson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 J@ck Chri5tie

Apparently there should be something on the Dept of Comms or ndp.ie site soon.

JC

Advertisement