Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Top Speeds

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Just thought I'd rattle your cages heh heh...

Seriously though doing high speeds in a sports car, or a car set up with the proper sports suspension, brakes and balance etc., is a world away from doing it in run of the mill motor. For example doing high speeds in my old Golf GTI was no problem the car was rock steady at any speed. Doing high speed in something a 1 point oh, shopping car(t) is another. I'm driving an old fiesta at the moment and I'm scared if some one pulls out anyway close in front of me the brakes are woeful. I mean they pass the NCT and all that its just that aren't a patch on something with performance brakes, with discs all round and the brake bias set up properly, and the whole car balanced.

Actually my old CRX (16v) was an absolute live wire. Really hairy. It was so light it would dance about on any inperfections on the road surface. it wasn't unusually for it to enter a four wheel drift on an greasy surface. It was rated to 130+ but I found it a real handful even at 60-80mph. I mean to overtake you had to drop into third (good for 80mph) and hold on with both hands as the wheel would dance about all over the place as it tried to get the power down. Now on a track I'd have no problem getting 130+ out of it. But to try and do it on a public road that would be insane.

Something a lot bigger and heavier like a Big Merc or a 911 you could probable read the paper at that speed. Not in my little crx though, and definately not in the fiesta even you could get it to that kinda speed. The wheels would fall off and the brakes explode if you touched them at that speed in the fiesta...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Jester

The tt had a full exhaust system, full induction kit, larger ball bearing garett turbo, larger intercooler, engine had seen a lot of work (Forged pistons, titanium valve springs, different camshaft, lighter crank, was fully balanced as well i think) different engine management system (meaning it wasnt speed restricted as well), the compression in the engine was increased as well. Down a hill as well, was more left in it i think. Might have seen 170 - 180, had uprated brakes on it as well, think they were a full AP racing set, was a mental car, was lightened a bit as well, carbon fibre bits here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Maybe it was modified, or he was looking ahead of the speedo needle :)

Bard, you did 120mph in a suzuki swift 1 litre, and my dads wheelbarrow can do 80 mph. Good work by all concerned :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

<prof mode on>

Actually 20mph at those sort of speed is a lot, why then do 190mph+ cars have over twice the power of a standard 225hp S3s yet only get 35-40mph extra.

Drag is the main reason

why do I need to double the power to get a 25% speed gain. Simply put the ratio between power and vmax is not linear as you alude to kayos, but inversly proportional.

Even with a tuned s3, you would need a load of road to hit a true 170 if it were even possible which I dont believe it is, were you on the autobahn or something??

If not consider the following

I have to assume that the car was driven in Ireland and you would never had the room to hit a terminal speed There are no motorways really long enough. Therefore I can infer that the car had some more speed in it. Asuming another 5-6mph spare, you are claiming a top speed in excess of 175 mph for the s3

Especially hard to believe considering the not so low drag coefficient of 0.33 which will seriously come into play over 140 mph

Aswell, all this in a 4 wheel drive car with associated transmission loses

For example, compare with a standard porsche 911 Carerra 4 2wd 320hp, a lower drag coefficient and an official top speed of 173MPH!

<prof mode off>

Get real

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

LOLOLOL Quote:
    Got about 83mph out of my Suzuki GN 125 going down the M50, with a mother of a tail wind !!!

Friend got 155mph on an unlimited stretch of the autobahn in a stock '02 Civic Type-R up a hill....how bad.

Just a comment on the 160+mph in an AUDi TT..

I dont care what the dude had in the car to boost it up...the TT's have the one of the highest downward drag co-efficency of any car on the road today...i.e. it doesn't create much downforce....

Audi ran a recall of pre-01's in order to fit a rear lip to help stop TT's LITERALLY from lifting upwards while travelling at high speed on a smooth surface....

I just hope the dude who owns it runs a pretty large rear wing on it at that speed in order to maintain control.

At anything over 150mph, you have to have at least 400kg of downforce in addition to the car gross weight in order to stop or do anything productive in the event of an unexpected detour......

Me....140mph in my Civic VTi...legally :-P

J.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

Peugeot 106 1L 105mph on the Balbriggan bypass .It was on a good downhill .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Have any of you achieved these speeds since Nov 1, eh?

The fastest I've been (on Tarmac) in my entire life was about 100
    in a 1975 Austin Maxi 1750 on the M6 I was 11 at the time :D

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

civic type r wont do 155 either
    ive done 114 mph on my rs125, and over 110 a few times
    125 in a premacy 2.0 on m50
    120 in a renault 5 gt turbo
    and hopefully get the full clock out of my next bike(prolly bout 140) drivin that speed on a bike over here is fast enough 4 me thanx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Would you like to put a wager on that there Batfink?

I know the car is rated at 146mph max speed and is as Aerodynamic as a shoebox....but there ain't no limiter..

He was redlining 9,000rpm in 6th.....I know this guy....he doesn't lie.....

On another note, speaking with a German friend.....he was cruising along 235kph when a R32 was entering from a merging lane at about 80kph 300 metres ahead of him.....R32 put the boot down...he could not catch him.......now, thats a car! :)

J./

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

111mph in a mazda 323F on the dual carrageway into Cork when I was about 22. There were 4 other guys in the car. It was crazy and I would never do it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Gerry
    Really jd? Well done with the whole moral high ground thing there.

Kali, I don't think all german motors are limited to 144, more like 155?
    Forgot the smiley....
    :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

125mph in my last prelude on the m1, once, just to see, it was still accelerating hard n i decided to back off, haven't tried my current 2.2vtec one out and prolly never will unless i take it to a track day or summit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

130 in my trusty 94 Rover 620sli 2.0i . The manual says its top speed is 125 but i was in the slip stream of a Mr-Bishi GTO going downhill on the balbriggan bypass.

I also hit 130 in a Rover 75 on the M4 bypassing maynooth and still could barely hear the engine. That car is soooo quiet.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

125 - Dads Ford Scorpio Cosworth (me driving)
    115 - my civic vti... however I did get caught my the cops. He clocked me at 99mph, and was 'considering' whether to arrest me...

won't be doing that again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Passenger in a '90-somthing Ford van.

83 odd miles a hour coming onto the Portlaoise Bypass along the back road past the Rock Inn.

Hairy **** cos twas arse heavy w/no power steering.

The cousin who was driving put it into a ditch a few weeks later after over taking a car. Touched the wet grass and the back end went.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I topped a whopping 65 mph in my 16v efi 1330cc jap starlet. :D I think i'll live vicariously and let someone else tell me the top speed of this car. Hmm... Must have a look on the net, see what i find...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Nothing too fast.
    90 something in a 1.4 Golf on the M50 (passenger).
    I think 100 was broken in a 1.4 Mazda 323 on the M50 (passenger).

As for me driving, well I dont. But fastest is proabably 40 in the above Mazda.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

240kph in a Holden Monaro in the Northern Territories in Australia, I wouldn't
    look at speedo(road trains were coming backwards towards me!), but my mate
    in the passenger seat assured me thats what we were at! In Ireland I've done
    144mph in a 944 porsche on Ennis dual carraigeway and 115 in a Vectra... but
    no more cos I got caught at 87mph when I slowed to send a txt!!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Well that's comforting... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

120 mph - Aston Martin db6 , a few yrs back.

125 mph - BMW 535 Sport - loads left in her but we were worried about the tyres.

135 mph -Cavalier Sri -im a bit dubious about this speed , speedo was prolly off - max speed according to figures is about 120-125 or so , i think i was at that cos she was flat out.

98 mph - Nissan Bluebird 2.0 diesel and tbh this was the scariest - car wasnt deisgned to go above 60 imo :p

Did drive a chipped sierra cosworth b4 , but it was in a town and during the day so no mad speeds but it was fast , est 300 bhp.It prolly could have saw 150 mph but i dont think id have had the cahones for that speed.

Yes i did get caught speeding a few yrs back and got some points on my licence - they really do make you more aware of your speed cos i havent been above 80mph since i got em.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Driving myself:

About 105 Mph (well thats what the speedo was saying) in a '97 406 1.8 Petrol over a straight'ish road with a medium to poor sufrace.

(One of those emergencies when you're delayed and need to bring the car 16 miles in 12 minutes ;) )

Being Driven:

About 115/120 Mph years ago in a '92 405 SR' 1.9. On the M25.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Me Driving:

100mph in a '96 1.0L VW Polo, but to be honest that speedo must have been off a little.. as it didnt seem like it at the time and
    the car was as solid as a rock but the rev counter was in the red... jeez I loved that little car.. :)

Hit the 100 for about 2 seconds in my current car, 1997 1.6ltr Mondeo, but only for a few seconds like I said, then back to a nice safe 75 on the motorway...

Me as Passenger:

120mph in 2.0 Ltr rally prepared Vauxhall Astra, driven by a friend of a friend good few years back on a nice main road with a new smooth surface.. He was competing in the Circuit of Ireland Rally on the easter weekend and staying with us for the night.. some experience.. never been in anything like it since..

Very rarely do over 75 on motorways and 65 on good main roads, just not worth it as Ive seen so many accidents and a lot of guys I know have been killed or seriously injured in road accidents.. The main road I live on is like a graveyeard with the amount of crosses and monuments to those killed in car crashes..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by ButcherOfNog
    125mph in my last prelude on the m1, once, just to see, it was still accelerating hard n i decided to back off, haven't tried my current 2.2vtec one out and prolly never will unless i take it to a track day or summit.

Those preludes are seriously quick. A lot quicker than most people think. Yours an import or no? Its a pity the're not a bit prettier.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

I got 125mph out of my bmw 316i a few years back, up against a friend who had a subaru wrx lookalike 1.6, just had the edge on him, musta been the bodykit on his car that slowed him down ;)

Fastest with someone else was in a FTO 2L gr, couldn't tell the speed cause the speedo was only clocked to 180 km/hr and the needle went way past this till it hit the stopper needle...
    scary... but been treatening to buy one since then :)

Course these days always stick to the speed limits, not work risking it anymore, also the road surfaces seem to be gone to hell...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BogoBot

Amen to that.

A few years ago I drove my Prelude ('92 2.2Si) to Berlin and back with a brief stop off at the Nürburgring. Car was a Japanese import and still had its speed limiter fitted. Made the autobahns a very frustrating experience...! Very fast car and I imagine the newer one is _very_ quick.

The 'ring really humbled the Prelude though....Its brakes just were not up to the task and I went off in a really big way while dicing with an E30 320i. No damage to people or cars (he went off on the same corner!).

I shudder to think what the insurance company would say if they knew a 22 year old was pirroetting a 2.2 litre car in Germany with one of their disks on it....:-)

Top Speeds? Prelude 114mph, current car 140mph.

BogoBot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Originally posted by DivX
    Fastest with someone else was in a FTO 2L gr, couldn't tell the speed cause the speedo was only clocked to 180 km/hr and the needle went way past this till it hit the stopper needle...
    scary... but been treatening to buy one since then :)

Yep my flat mate just bought one of those beasts. There's nothing like the sound of an automatic 2.0L V6 DOHC engine dropping from 3rd to 1st when you floor it :). Its even more fun when you just the triptronic to get the most out of the engine :eek:. I must get to drive that car, I must get to drive that car, I must.......

kayos

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

There's nothing like the sound of an automatic 2.0L V6 DOHC engine dropping from 3rd to 1st when you floor it .

T'was the manual version that he had, more involving to change up/down thru the gears and hear the nice tone of the v6 out of the exhaust :D

Think the manual is slightly faster than the tiptronic with the right driver, something like 0-60, 6.6 seconds...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 VST

As a passenger,170mph in an S3.

As the owner of the car.....HORSE****E!:mad:

The car is about 270bhp and will alledgedly do 160mph(verified by bloke with similar engine spec and GPS in France).

I havent seen these kind of speeds in the car and even if I had,in or out of the country, I wouldnt be discussing it here.

Kealan, kindly quit trying to impress your mates by hanging me out to dry on a public forum.You may as well have given out my name and phone number while you were at it!.
    :rolleyes: :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

meh, my rs125 does 60 in 6 secs, and thats too slow :)
    next for me is a yammie r6
    0-60 in 2.9 secs and 165+ :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

I am glad to see that reply from VST

I guess I didn't need to give a technical response as to why kayos was bull****ing about his speed. The fact that he never ever gave a response to it sums it up really.

An now he admits he lyed about the power and the speed. I know that if I was the passenger in a fastly driven car I would sure as hell look at the F***ing speedo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement