Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Top Speeds

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

how many of you would risk these speeds on Irish Roads now with the Penalty points system? What pisses me off is half of you are probably posting on the MIJAG board complaining about how high your insurance is yet it's people like you that have our premiums so bloody high. I'm not a goody goody by any means of the word but driving at some of the speeds you lot are on about(those that aren't talking through their arse) on Irish roads is just plain stupid and highly irresponsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

late reply but here goes
    what hasnt been mentioned is the whole indicated/true top speed issue :)
    sure a civic type r might show 155 but it aint doin it
    after 70mph speedos are inaccurate, after 100 they can be very inaccurate, after 150 they plain out lie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

I can't afford insurance at all so i don't really care. When I eventually get a car I'll be buyin a Belltronic Snooper (360 degree radar and laser). I wasn't lyin btw. The car is a monster: 5.6 litre, 360bhp merc. The lad who was drivin was in it with his da drivin doin 145 in the pissin rain on the M50 runnin on the wires!!! They were gonna stay goin only his ma was gettin a bit pissed!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

134 in a 99 Astra 1.4 on the M50, three in the morning in a rental as mine was in for a service and I thought "I wonder what these can do". Scary as hell especially when I went through the speed camera about 100. Just as well as that thing never has film in it. I never top 90 these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

I think u have to be in excess of 200 mph to beat the speed camera, I saw it on Top gear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Originally posted by Kell
    134 in a 99 Astra 1.4 on the M50, three in the morning in a rental as mine was in for a service and I thought "I wonder what these can do". Scary as hell especially when I went through the speed camera about 100. Just as well as that thing never has film in it. I never top 90 these days.

134 absolute rubbish, does this 1.4 have two turbos on it or something? 1.4 will do about 110 - 115 max.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

120mph in a Toyota 1.6L Petrol

shake like b*tch though, the wheels are prolly outta alignment :confused:

To beat a speed camera like the GATSO ones in England you'd have to by driving in excess of the speed of sound!! This way your car is completely out of focus by the time the second picture is taken! Well that's what the chaps in CAR magazine reckon. So unless you're plannin on drivin around in Thrust SSC you better hope they haven't decided to put film in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

IIRC, this came up already - the speed you need to travel to beat the gatso is somewhere in the region of 170mph. It's down to being far enough away from the camera for it not to be able to take a picture once it has decided you're over the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

134 absolute rubbish, does this 1.4 have two turbos on it or something? 1.4 will do about 110 - 115 max.
    lol :p

Slightly off-topic but here goes...
    Does anyone know if Mondello organises a track day, simular to whats organised across all the other race tracks throughout europe, on track days you can take your car to the track for the day to see what it's capable of doing (Top Speed etc.) on closed roads for a nominal charge... also some of them do advanced driver training... say it would be popular in ireland by the sound of things.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

definitly be better than risking lives on public roads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by DivX
    Slightly off-topic but here goes...
    Does anyone know if Mondello organises a track day, simular to whats organised across all the other race tracks throughout europe, on track days you can take your car to the track for the day to see what it's capable of doing (Top Speed etc.) on closed roads for a nominal charge... also some of them do advanced driver training... say it would be popular in ireland by the sound of things.

At the moment they only have regular track days for bikes, afaik they've only tried track days once or twice for cars... as unfortunaly its not a very safe track with very limited runoff areas for inexperienced drivers.

Originally posted by Gerry

No twin turbo's no. As some have said, over the 100 mark means speedo's are generally out. This 1.4 (according to the speedo and a witness in the car over about 400 miles) can top 125. I travelled the M6 from Birmingham to Manchester and then to Edinburgh and if the signage was correct in terms of distance, then the times taken in between signs backed up my speedo. Again, passenger witnessed 126 on the clock, so you might want to reconsider your thinking Gerry.

In Autocar's road test on 04-03-1998, the max speed of the Astra 1.4l was recorded at 111mph, with two occupants and half a tank of fuel. So I think your 126mph is a little wide of the mark.

Bear in mind also, that road signs aren't absolutely spot on most of the time, and depending on your distance, a small error in your timing can make quite a difference to the recorded average speed.

Fair play to any car that can run at that sort of speed for 400 miles. But an Astra 1.4? Not bloody likely. As for 134? Not a chance! That's the top speed of a 1.6 V-Tec Civic and they are a damn sight more powerfull. Lighter and more aerodynamic too!
    The 1.4 Caterham 7, which weighs at a guess less than 2/3 that of said Astra only does about that too.

Remember the Caterham has all the aerodynamic efficiency of a barn thouhg!! :D

Originally posted by Don1
    Fair play to any car that can run at that sort of speed for 400 miles.

I dont actually recall stating that the speed was maintained over the whole distance. Chimaera, you may know better than I on this one, but the HP on post 98 ones went from whatever it was to 90HP. Not a hell of a lot I know, but the road test may be out in terms of whats current. I just find it odd that two of us in the same car were looking at the same speedo which definitely read over mid way between 120 and 130. I have no reason to lie here, boasting just isnt me- especially in the face of ridicule.

The Astra they road tested had 88bhp - I don't think they've done anything with that 1.4 since the current Astra went on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Originally posted by Kell
    I dont actually recall stating that the speed was maintained over the whole distance. Chimaera, you may know better than I on this one, but the HP on post 98 ones went from whatever it was to 90HP. Not a hell of a lot I know, but the road test may be out in terms of whats current. I just find it odd that two of us in the same car were looking at the same speedo which definitely read over mid way between 120 and 130. I have no reason to lie here, boasting just isnt me- especially in the face of ridicule.

If you knew anything about cars, you would know that a 1.4 litre normally aspirated version of any family sized car will top out around 110 - 115 mph.
    I was trying to dig up an autocar or performance car online to dig up the figures, chimaera beat me to it :)
    Now perhaps the speedo on your car did read 126, however the car wasn't doing that speed. Its unusual for a speedo to be so inaccurate, however thats about the only explanation I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

my friend has a renault 5 gt turbo with a recently rebuilt engine
    it has about 200 bhp and only does 130 odd mph
    how oh how can any1 claim a 1.4 astra to do such speeds ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Fastest i've gotten was 112 mph on a 1litre yaris dont ask me how but i did with one passenger, on the kerry to cork road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

got me a top speed of 24mph on my friends raleigh bike.
    oooh yeahh!

i was going downhill at the time though...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Talk about reviving an old thread :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Me gets all dewey eyed....:p

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Jaysus.. timewarp. I dont even have the same bike anymore.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Originally posted by powerhousedan
    Fastest i've gotten was 112 mph on a 1litre yaris dont ask me how but i did with one passenger, on the kerry to cork road

Were you being towed at the time? :p

Engine & Performance
    0 - 62 mph (seconds) 13.6
    Capacity (cc) 998
    Max Output (SAE Net) (bhp/rpm) 68/6000
    Max Speed (mph) 97
    Max Torque (SAE Net) (Nm/rpm) 90/4100

http://www.toyota.ie/2A78FC36-2C6B-11D7-A921-0004760D4D62.htm

Could have been a nice hill and a slip stream I suppose.

;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I was always more interested in grunt than speed in cars, but I do remember going over the ton (by the clock) on my Cagiva Mito a good while back (it was an unholy hour on a good road). Damn near wet meself, but my buddy got on it after me and calmly squeezed another 10mph out it, thereby proving not only that I'm a total wuss, but also that I wasn't doing the ton at all, more like 90 or so. Bastard. :)

I'm tempted to see what the beamer'll do though -- she's old, but I think she wants one more run before I retire her to stud. :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭bop1977

ive hit 105 in a ford focus a few times in the last few weeks and was a passanger in my mates seat telido 1.9 tdi when he hit 120mph on the N4

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

5mph on a ride on lawnmower down the back lane:D was pushing it to its limit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by dahamsta
    I'm tempted to see what the beamer'll do though

Should do 143mph :)

The reason so many people state values higher than the maximum speed of their car is probably not because they were going downhill with a tornado in the back, but because some speedometers tend to overstate speed, especially at the higher end. This could easily be as much as 10%

The speedo in my E34 was pretty accurate - the 2 times I ever got a fine for speeding, the speedometer was reading the exact same speed as the fine reported. 88 mph on the M1 near dundalk (camera - doh) and 50 on the north road in Finglas (gatso)

BTW haven't let my current motor out yet. Well, that's a lie, but haven't gone to the max yet. It's supposed to do 150mph but guess I'll have to wait till a holiday brings me in or near Germany :dunno:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement