Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Top Speeds

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 serpeh1

169 in a R34 in the autoban, still passed out be a lambo

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

What a load of bullsh*t.

112 in a 1.0 Yaris?

133 in a 1.4 Astra?

110 in a 1.2 Punto

In your wet dreams...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I thought this looked familiar. Why the hell did someone bother digging up a two year old thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

It was like this when I got here. :D

Looks like it was Mr. "112 in me granny's Yaris".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

Where on earth in Ireland, outside of a racetrack, can anybody safely do 100+ mph?

Crazy..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by PBC_1966
    Where on earth in Ireland, outside of a racetrack, can anybody safely do 100+ mph?

Crazy..........
    Nowhere legally.

Anywhere on the M50 between Knocklyon and the N4 is easily possible late at night. The M4 also is prime speeding territory. Very long, straight, smooth road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭positron

Did 100mph, Hyundai Accent 1.3lt; wont do it again, ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭TUTS

Countless times over the ton with friends and family. I myself crashed a starlet at 110 mph many moons ago and YES it it possibile to hit this speed in a starlet.

My own.
    Pug Xsi shell - GTI Engine, Custom induction kit, air filter, lowered front & back, (Springs, shocks) Strut Brace, Discs all round, Straight through SS exhaust & everything else (DT) Its a 98 1.6 Gti 122 Bhp Without Chip, 140bhp+ With chip. Tested on rolling road(s)

127 mph without chip but didnt limit. In the mid west.

With Chip in might as well be putting in rocket fuel. Def not safe for irish roads! Had to take it out. It had nothing to do with points. Or the ones that i have.

Does anyone know when the next track day is at Mondello? Wouldnt mind driving fast on closed road. Seeing as i dont drive fast on public ones anymore ;)

What can i say...bit of a speed freak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Unless you go to Kirkistown, not many cars will go over a ton at Mondello(its too twisty), so To do 120+ in Ireland, you gotta use the roads. Anyhow....over 140 in a 911. Just the once, my life (and my car) is precious to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭TUTS

Originally posted by Kersh
    Unless you go to Kirkistown,

Im prob wrong, but i thought they only do open days for Bikes there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

108mph in a rental 1.6 Carina
    110mph in a 1.6 audi a4, i suspect it could have done another 10mph or so but i backed off as i was runnign out of road.

squeezed 160kph out of the bandit 250 on a mild downhill stretch on the dual carraigeway, its not at all comfortable on an unfaired bike, only stayed there for a few secs before dropping back to 125kph

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

A few mates have photos of a track day up there. Great track for racing. Often windy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Originally posted by Kersh
    Unless you go to Kirkistown, not many cars will go over a ton at Mondello(its too twisty

Hmmm not true at all I am normally hitting ~120MPH by the end of the start/finish straight in Mondello and my car is not the fastest that would be on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

100mph on new bike on m50 ..then I chickened out and slowed down to a more pedestrian 80 or so :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

111 mph in my late, lamented MG ZR 105++ on the M40 to Oxford, as the manual said it would.

125 mph in a BMW 525 TDS on the M6 a bit past Brum. I suspect there was a little more left in it, but at that stage thoughts of magistrates and condemnation to Hades made me back off.

None of this is either big or clever but it certainly made my heart beat faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭bop1977

, but because some speedometers tend to overstate speed, especially at the higher end. This could easily be as much as 10%

does this mean if the speed is wrong then the milage readout on the clock is wrong also?

Originally posted by bop1977
    , but because some speedometers tend to overstate speed, especially at the higher end. This could easily be as much as 10%

does this mean if the speed is wrong then the milage readout on the clock is wrong also?
    Why would it?
    The odometer and speedometer have no connection.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Depends on the car seamus. A friend of mine (*koff*) used to disconnect the speedo cable on his car to keep the mileage down, so his ma wouldn't spot that he'd been whizzing around the country at the weekends. So, at least in older cars with mechanical speedos, the two were inextricably linked.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Joeface

Got caught speeding in arizona a few years back in 2.8ltr V6 Oldsmobile short chase...ok not really i just pulled over... he clocked me doing 135

Have a Honda Integra...I know it can do 115, any one know what it can do

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭K2

1993 on the M50;
    100 mph in a lancer
    115 mph in a 405
    120 mph in a xr3i

all done in the middle of the day on the way to the bank for my job, and all 3 were company cars, unfortunately none where mine but all the more reason to drive them harder:D Of course I was young and foolish in those days and wouldn't drive above the speed limit nowadays, though you would be hard pushed to find enough roadspace on the M50 to get up to those speeds these days.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Depends on the car seamus. A friend of mine (*koff*) used to disconnect the speedo cable on his car to keep the mileage down, so his ma wouldn't spot that he'd been whizzing around the country at the weekends. So, at least in older cars with mechanical speedos, the two were inextricably linked.

adam
    Heh. Now it seems so obviously fallible.....

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by seamus
    Why would it?
    The odometer and speedometer have no connection.

They do in most cars afaik. They are both based on the number of revolutions of a wheel. In case of the speedometer this is measured per unit of time

Note that the tyre pressure and especially using a non standard rim DO impact!

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Driving 165mph in a BMW M5

Been Driven 190mph F50

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Originally posted by unkel
    They do in most cars afaik. They are both based on the number of revolutions of a wheel. In case of the speedometer this is measured per unit of time

Note that the tyre pressure and especially using a non standard rim DO impact!
    most speedos are connected to the gearbox and not the wheel. However if you are running on non-standard sized tyres then your reading may be different

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

128MPH in my Rover 214i (Induction kit and fine tuning helps BHP)

141MPH In a Merc SL550 AMG ( Not mine obviously, i was just passenger)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I pushed my Festy [1.25 Zetec] to a ton on the M50 a couple of years ago ... it probably had a bit more [not much], but I'd reached the target so slowed :D

Nowadays, I stick to the speed limit [maybe 4/5 mph over] ... seen to many accidents caused by stupid speeds on crappy roads :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

4mph strolling down Grafton St

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

I drove a a mates car (test drive) Mazda 323F on the dual carriageway from shannon @110mph. He actually had just bought it & we were taking it home after buying it from the seller. He sold it a few weeks later because there was a constant smell of burning oil from it, wasn't me of course! :rolleyes:

Could only get 102mph out of a punto on M4 (Cardiff)

That was afew yrs ago now, I NEVER speed now. Far too many innocent people being killed (includind friends).
    I do regret alot of silly driving I then when younger & I am alot better driver now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

I get about 5-6mpg more by driving at 60mph on the motorway than 70-75. That saving alone will cover most of my insurance for the year...and it costs me about 2 minutes of my life every day...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Yes, true & at 99.9 cpl !!!
    I find sometimes I can get an extra 50 miles or so on the weeks I drive about 50-55mph compared to hard driving.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement