Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CD Anti-Computer Protection

Options
  • 07-11-2002 3:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭

Now that this system of 'disc' manufacturing is being more widely implemented, I'm wondering if many people are having a problem with these discs.

I bought the Foo Fighter's One By One and Ozzy's Live At Budokan, and both claimed anti-pc protection. Well, the Foo Fighters one said you could play it in a computer, but only using software on the cd.

In both cases I stuck the cd in and ripped it using CDEx. They both also played in Windows Media Player (7). No sign of any problem.

Does it stop anyone else? I also noticed that the Compact Disc logo is missing from them, which is due to the fact that they're not true CD's by definition, afaik.

Before anybody starts ranting about musicians' rights, note I did buy these discs, I'm not sharing them on the Internet, but I prefer listening to music at my computer as it has a better sound than my crappy cd player that I got sometime back when everyone was still buying tapes :) Must replace it.

If I missed a recent thread on this subject, please pointez-moi in the right direction.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

remember a few months ago there were celine dion cds that destroyed some macs. tbh if you put a celine dion cd into a computer or cd player for that matter you deserve everything you get.

look at what microsoft are doing with their new xp media center edition thingy. the computers come with a dvd-r drive and you can record you favourite thing from the television but you can only watch it on pc that it was recorded on. kinda defeats the purpose of recording it in the first place. its a stupid idea which will end up being a serious flop. these safeguards were put in under pressure from hollywood bigwigs. if this is a high enough profile flop it will highlight the draconian serurity measures that are being empolyed by riaa etc. and ultimatly end up being a huge shot in the foot for record companies and hollywood. people dont like their ability to choose being undermined and a backlash will hopefully ensue against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Yeah Sony put copy protection on Celine Dion cds. Basically they just put junk files on the outer rim of the cd. This caused a lot of macs to die. Not sure of all the technicallities.
    They found if you coloured over it with a black permanent marker it sorted out the problem.
    I also like to rip my cds to mp3 so I can listen to them on the computer because that's where I listen to most of my music aswell. And I also dont share them online.
    I find most cds can be ripped, but I couldnt do it with the Dj Vadim cd. The computer wouldnt recognise it as an audio cd. It was enhanced with a video and the computer would only recognise this, so it was quite frustrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

tbh if you put a celine dion cd into a computer or cd player for that matter you deserve everything you get.

LOL:D
    Is it true that some of these PC protected CDs dont play on car stereos?I think the music industry has finally realised that filesharing is not the biggest threat,CD burning is.I know people who have perhaps copied each of their albums maybe an average of 6 times each and have made a nice little fortune.

In fact buying copied CDs is about the only aspect of pricing that the euro has benifited me in-whereas last year someone might have charged me £5 for the CD I now usually get it for 5 euro,saving me 20% on last year:)
    But TBH at the mo copy protected CDs are rare-it must be an expensive procedure.And like any encryption I am sure that there are people who know how to work their way around it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Mnemoniac

Originally posted by dun_do_bheal
    Now that this system of 'disc' manufacturing is being more widely implemented, I'm wondering if many people are having a problem with these discs.

I bought the Foo Fighter's One By One...

If I missed a recent thread on this subject, please pointez-moi in the right direction.

Now funny you should mention that, I bought One By One last week and I've been trying to crack it ever since using Linux tools.

All the usual suspects (cdparanoia, cdrecord, cdrdao) fail.

Can anyone point me to tips on how to manipulate multisession CDs and how to ignore mangled TOCs?

I stress that I want to copy the CD legitimately, i.e., make a copy that I can play on my Linux box; I rarely listen to music anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Seb

The entertainment industry is frightened of anything new. It sees the internet and cd burning as things to be feared which is why they are trying to stop them from happening as if their existance depended on it. It's hopeless of course but sooner or later they will come to terms with events and stop trying to prevent the inevitable. Anybody remember the fuss the labels kicked up over home taping?. All of these crude efforts will be replaced with something more adept and seductive. The movie studios used to see the video tape as something that would ruin them and tried to prevent the sale of video recorders. They failed, of course, and found that, instead of making them obsolete, video cassetes were a hugely profitable new market for them. Enjoy the free-for-all while it lasts everyone. The major labels will figure out how to stop all of this from happening, not through some crude blocking device ( although they will have these too ) but by doing someting, offering a product, that will make most people want to give them their money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

It is a bit late to be talking about it now but I would say that the record companies are very angry that they didnt see this coming and so patent CD burning technology.Once they did this they could simply decide not to release their patented product.
    Still Im glad they didnt.I got 8 great CDs for 40 euros today :)

I am suprised that they have not tried court action to outlaw the making of CD burners.If they told the governments of the world how much tax they are losing on this I wouldnt be suprised if there was legislation introduced:(
    But if they did that the PC companies would probably withdraw from those countries in protest,leading to even heavier tax losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by The Gopher
    Still Im glad they didnt.I got 8 great CDs for 40 euros today :)

Stop being such a bum.

As for banning cd burners, if they did that then they would have to ban vcrs and tape recorders too.
    People dont just use cd writers to pirate copyrighted materials you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

It is a bit late to be talking about it now but I would say that the record companies are very angry that they didnt see this coming and so patent CD burning technology.

AFAIK the compact disc format was created by Philips and Sony, so I don't think Philips would have been willing to let the music manufacturers patent their technology. Also the burning technology is also used for creating cd-roms, not just music.
    Originally posted by Mnemoniac
    Now funny you should mention that, I bought One By One last week and I've been trying to crack it ever since using Linux tools.

All the usual suspects (cdparanoia, cdrecord, cdrdao) fail.

I stress that I want to copy the CD legitimately, i.e., make a copy that I can play on my Linux box; I rarely listen to music anywhere else.

I rebooted to Linux and the cd is also working perfectly there. I tried it in KSCD (known as CD Player under KDE) and Grip. I'm running Mandrake 8.2. This is leading me to believe that it is the drive type that is probably causing it. I have an NEC DVD Drive and a Sony CD-RW drive, and the cd works in both. But it won't work on the CD-KEY website thingy that they have going on their site, where you can d/l extra tracks for people that have bought the cd :(

If it's not just the challenge of cracking it you're after, then if you want I'll copy the cd for you, if you send me a blank cd and the inlay card (proof of purchase :D - I'll send it back).
    But TBH at the mo copy protected CDs are rare-it must be an expensive procedure.And like any encryption I am sure that there are people who know how to work their way around it.

I've seen a lot of them recently, although I only have two that I mentioned above that are copy-protected. As Makaveli pointed out above, it can be circumvented with a black marker :rolleyes: Mind you, I'm sure not many people want to do that to a cd in case it ruins it.

Advertisement