Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheffield Wednesday

• 07-11-2002 12:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭

it matters to me anyway!!!!

SWFC have called a press conference today for 12.30 after agreeing terms with hartlepool and Chris Turner :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

I was surprised they didn't want to take a look at Big Mick now that he is unemployed.
    I thought the Yorkshire lad would have suited them just right seeing as their backside is in the bacon slicer at the minute!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

I'd say Mick would be looking for a premiership team

good luck with the new manager , sheffield wednesday :(

http://www.football365.com/All_News/Football_League_News/story_46294.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

yeah i think ur dead rite there waylander no way is he gonna go anywhere except a premiership job - leeds i reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

Don't think Mr McCarthy has any Premiership experience so he will be behind Reid, Burley, O'Leary and Graham if any jobs come up. Except Leeds of course then there would be only 2 in front of him!!

I don't think he should be too picky really. He has proved to be rather limited in his career so far!

A team like Wednesday would be just right for him to prove himself.

Hmmm Hartlepool are looking for a manager!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

out where i am living Swords Celtic are looking for a manager so I might get them to give him a ring ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

i think we are going to make the play offs this season, sturrock is doing wonderfully well in his short period of time at the club.
    while turner was crap as a manger, i do feel he did get some pretty decent players in the close season for sturrock to work with, most on free transfers.

running the midfield at the moment is non other than young glenn whelan who is turning into a great prospect with regular football.

go on the owls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

dougal wrote:
    I was surprised they didn't want to take a look at Big Mick now that he is unemployed.
    I thought the Yorkshire lad would have suited them just right seeing as their backside is in the bacon slicer at the minute!

:confused:

How he unemployed?

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

KdjaC wrote:
    :confused:

How he unemployed?

kdjac
    LOL I wondered that myself for a min but :
    07-11-2002 11:17
    dougal

i.e note the date of the post

LOL

damn digging up old threads :(

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

What the hell, way to drag up an old thread.

I'd say you could have easily started a new one!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Lamb of Jaysus! Enough with the old thread resurrection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Shef Wed r great!! haha! at least I now know there is more than one Wednesday supporter in Ireland!!

god you can never win here can you!
    you double thread and you get given out to for being too lazy to find the old one .
    you use the same thread and you get given out to for it being too old!

:D:D

Sheffield Wednesday on course for CL 2010.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

You should lay off the Championship Manager... :D

god you can never win here can you!
    you double thread and you get given out to for being too lazy to find the old one .
    you use the same thread and you get given out to for it being too old!

:D:D

Maybe if the board would ever let people invest in the club! nearly 30 million in the red and they still wont allow investment from outside there own little group!!

Also Adam Proudlock has just broke his leg......could be out for rest of season! disaster!! :mad:

oh no!!!you are kidding me!
    f*ck !he was just hitting form and all.was it in training?
    get back soon peacock, we need you.
    God that really is a blow for us :(
    we need some signings soon if we are to keep up the pace,the squad is too thin.

Yeah happened in training this morning. At best he will be out for over 6 weeks......talk of having done ankle ligament damage and if so is gone for the season! just back from injury and banged 2 in at weekend!!

Talk of the supporters club giving the club money to loan in a player!! club cant afford to bring in anyone so unless they do then no replacement will be got!!

like you said earlier, its no good having money to use to get players if the board wont accept the money TO loan the players in the first place.
    petit?ha ha ha ha :D
    on his way to S6? :D

wednesday have signed a goalkeeper Chris Adamson from WBA,but seemingly he played for St Pats here for a while.

was he any good pats fans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

wednesday have signed a goalkeeper Chris Adamson from WBA,but seemingly he played for St Pats here for a while.

was he any good pats fans?
    He was signed from Pats, he played for WBA a few years ago. He was one of Pats best players two seasons ago but wasn't at his best last season and was let go. His wages could have played a part in been let go but at the end of the day, if McDonnell thought he was good enough he wouldn't have been let go. No doubt, Kdjac would know more.

• Advertisement

its the first leg in the play offs tonight at hillsborough against brentford.
    come on the owls!

its the first leg in the play offs tonight at hillsborough against brentford.
    come on the owls!
    Didn't know that was tonight cheers. There's a few potential future Ireland internationals involved so I'll be watching. Brentford have Jay Tabb and Kevin O'Connor but I'd prefer Wednesday to go up as we're in need of a player like Glenn Whelan in the national team. I don't know if he'll make it at that level but he's still young. I haven't seen much of Whelan but he gets 10 times more praise by his teammates than he does by the Wednesday fans. Whelan is the type of player that if he isn't running around winning every tackle and passing 50 yard passes he won't get praised. :)

1-0 and should have been more.....God I hate all the people in hear crying about the refs/linesmen in the PL......did you see the state of that muppet last nite......he was a disaster.....Quinn nearly gets his back broke and he gives the defender a free kick and books Quinn,.......all I could do was laugh......then how many times did the linesman call for the wrong side when the ball was out and how many times where Wed through on goal and called back because linesman said he was offside

Anyway it wasnt the best of games...>Wed tried to play the ball but all Brentford had was ballon the ball up into the box and try and bang a few headers together and see if they could get a defected goal.....joke.....but seeing as they beat us already this year and scored 2 in the last 10 mins the last time sure why would htey change tatics?

Anyway I am hopefully for the second leg......think we will whop them with our away form....if only MacLean was playing last nite we would be 3-4 up on them.....and I would say that if McGovern second had gone in then Brentford would have lost the head and we would have put in another few.....

Have been on boards for ages raving about Whelan.......Ireland need this player.....he is pure class......and if O'Brian(sp) for Bolton comes through then what a midfield.....we would have got auto promotion if he had to stay with us till end of season.....class midfielder!!!!

good committed performance last night.
    not pretty football but very difficult to play against.
    quinn got lumps kicked out of him last night!how some of the decisions didnt go his way last night i will never know but to be booked for "being climbed on" was ridiculous.
    we should never have lost to brentford at home earlier in the season and we shouldnt have drawn with them at griffin park either.we are a better side than them and due to our great away form we will finish off the job on Monday night.
    i was well impressed by mcgovern and also thought rocastle played his heart out.

McGovern has been playing like that all season....not sure about Rocastle yet.....step up to Championship might be too much for him yet.....seems to be a good enough player but needs time....gives the ball away alot but he does run around alot to get ball back off oppostion.....

Very happy for second leg.....Lucas will have more time to get fitter.....was worse game I have seen him play....was going into nomansland for a few balls....Bullen also will have time to get himself 100%....was only passed fit before game and I was thinking there was no way he wasnt going to miss that game....2 broken legs and he would have been on pitch........

Did you see the crowd there last nite? better than alot of teams in PL get....cant remember names but Blackburn was one where we get a bigger home following.....Premier league....Semeir League......haha

Sturrock is a Genius! Thanks Southampton!!

Whelan has a fantastic pass, rarely loses out in a tackle, runs his socks off, his teammates have a lot of faith in him. He's only 21 and playing in one of the most crucial positions on the pitch. Most players don't get into that role until they're in their late 20's. He will definitely be capped, I just hope he is the future for the holding role in our national team. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Big Nelly wrote:

Sturrock is a Genius! Thanks Southampton!!

No problem

Who is ready for the game of the season tonite!!!!!

Brentford to win 2-1 and take it to penos.

/Adamsons a decent shot stopper too easily pushed off the ball tho, any clever striker will jump into him and he usually throws the ball into the net. Bit of a wuss on crosses, cant see him getting a game there unless theres a massive injury crisis.

kdjac

• Advertisement

KdjaC wrote:
    Brentford to win 2-1 and take it to penos.

/Adamsons a decent shot stopper too easily pushed off the ball tho, any clever striker will jump into him and he usually throws the ball into the net. Bit of a wuss on crosses, cant see him getting a game there unless theres a massive injury crisis.

kdjac

Adamson wont get a chance unless goalkeeper gets injuryed as Kdjac mentioned

Not sure about your prediction...did you watch the first game? all they done was balloon the ball up front....there will be probably more Shef Wed supporters at there ground that there own supporters(as usual in most grounds this season)......I think we can nick an early goal and sit it out then!!! Whelan to play a blinder again!!!

Big Nelly wrote:
    .did you watch the first game? all they done was balloon the ball up front....there will be probably more Shef Wed supporters at there ground that there own supporters(as usual in most grounds this season)......I think we can nick an early goal and sit it out then!!! Whelan to play a blinder again!!!

Yup but seen Brentford play this season already , they not bad at home.

kdjac

brentford are all huff and puff.
    we will beat them - the home leg was the difficult leg for us.
    i would be VERY surprised if they got through.
    adamson wont be playing like nelly said - we have lucas back now.

Anybody watching the game? Currently 2-0 but I haven't seen any of it. How is Whelan doing?

2-1 to weds **** game tbh

Got part of it right :)

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    2-1 to weds **** game tbh

Got part of it right :)

kdjac

Part alright but wrong way around.....Shef Wed should have won by 4 or 5....told you Brentfrod where s**t.....everytime they got the ball it didnt matter what part of the field they where in they would just hoff it up into the box and try and bang off everyone and get a dodgy goal or own goal(see there goal)......Wed has a bit of class about them and even thou the pitch was s**t they still where the better team over the 2 legs by a mile.....kept the ball well and Brentford where lucky to not end the game with 10 men.....Lucas saved Sodje from a booking and then he committed another 2 bookable offences and just gets booked......like WTF???? then the ref goes and books Lee Bullen for getting in a good clean tackle....joke.....as said in other post all those Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool and so on should see the ref's in League 1 and then they would be crying

Wasnt a bad game if you where watching Wed and not Brentford.....sometimes they where playing like a pub team......Whelan had a decent game, couple of good shots from outside the box but it was really a defenders game and thats why Bullen got MoM......second half Whelan slotted back into defence when Brentford had the ball because all of first half as soon as they got it just hoofed it so he was just watching it sailing over his head.....had a couple of nice blocks/headers.......

ANyway to cut a long story short....Im pleased with display and result over the 2 legs and anyway say that we didnt deserve it are mental......now onto the final and I think it will be hartlepool and a full Cardiff with Wednesday supporters......and onto the Championship....the good times are back.......Southampton fans are sickened that they sacked Sturrock now.....see you in Championship next season......lol :D

Oh yeah anyone see the Wed fans at half time on Sky? having a good laugh then at end of game cops bring in horses to make sure they dont go onto the pitch.....why didnt they do that at WBA?????????????? :mad:

• Advertisement

brentford are all huff and puff.

delighted with the solid performance last night, we were far better than brentford over 2 legs.
    could have had far more were it not for some unbelievable misses!
    lee "first touch" peacock had numerous chances but took his header really well - text book stuff the commentator said.you should try and see it if you can - absolute bullet.
    delighted and cant wait for the final.

delighted with the solid performance last night, we were far better than brentford over 2 legs.
    could have had far more were it not for some unbelievable misses!
    lee "first touch" peacock had numerous chances but took his header really well - text book stuff the commentator said.you should try and see it if you can - absolute bullet.
    delighted and cant wait for the final.

You going to head over??? would love to but going to Spain the following day so no hope of having cash or time.....feck it anyway.......Cardiff will be packed with Wednesday supporters.......

totally coming at the wrong time in terms of money-havent a cent to my name!
    problem also with watching it on tv - try finding a pub who will play the final game on a sunday ahead of any all ireland games!!!
    i dont have sky so cant watch it at home!

totally coming at the wrong time in terms of money-havent a cent to my name!
    problem also with watching it on tv - try finding a pub who will play the final game on a sunday ahead of any all ireland games!!!
    i dont have sky so cant watch it at home!

Yeah same here....damn bloody holidays!! women always come in the way of the footie

Just go down the local and kick some heads till they turn it on....or stand in front of TV in the full Shef Wed kit with a hung flag waving it until they get the point.....haha

I myself have invested in the mighty Sky and shall watch from behind the couch peeping over the top every so often with the fear of God in my face in case we lose it!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

anyone travelling to this lads?

• Advertisement

Not me.....33,000 tickets for Shef Wed and Hartlepool have 23,000(prob wont fill) so there is an extra 9,000 tickets which will become available next week after discussion between the two clubs....probably majority will go to Wednesday....tickets for Wednesday fans went on sale this morning to season ticket holders....Tuesday the 24th and tickets will be available to general public

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Afternoon guys.

Getting really nervous now. My ticket is stuck in stansted which is not good but I have faith it arrives before I can join up with the mass exodus of the blue half of Sheffield, not seen since 93.

40,000 third division wednesday fans in Cardiff......praying this works out.

Afternoon guys.

Getting really nervous now. My ticket is stuck in stansted which is not good but I have faith it arrives before I can join up with the mass exodus of the blue half of Sheffield, not seen since 93.

40,000 third division wednesday fans in Cardiff......praying this works out.

Hope it works out for you.....yeah would love to be going but they have it on the wrong weekend....I would say it will be class......well on Sky so next best thing!!! more or less!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

wow.. just joined the forum and I see an Owls thread. Lovely!!
    Anyone whos going to Cardiff - have a ball cheering on the mighty Owls!
    I cant make it, but I'll be in town watching the match with a few other owls fans.
    I'll be wearing the jersey with pride!!! (and probably getting all the odd looks as usual).
    I really think we're gonna do it and this will see the re-emergance of Wednesday back into the top flight.

whiskeyman wrote:
    wow.. just joined the forum and I see an Owls thread. Lovely!!
    Anyone whos going to Cardiff - have a ball cheering on the mighty Owls!
    I cant make it, but I'll be in town watching the match with a few other owls fans.
    I'll be wearing the jersey with pride!!! (and probably getting all the odd looks as usual).
    I really think we're gonna do it and this will see the re-emergance of Wednesday back into the top flight.

Yeah I am very confident that we can win it.....think with the large support we will have in Cardiff can only help!!

Glad to see a few Shef Wed supporters joining in here on baords.....for a long time I thought I was the only one in Ireland.....lol......supporting the Wednesday for 15 years now so I have seen the good and bad times!!!

come on the wednesday!
    up we go!
    oh god help us win today
    after reading the article(a short one)in the times,its unbelievable to think how far we have slipped, but we can part rectify it today.
    up the owls

Damn missed the game today! had it recorded and never listenign to radio or anythign and was going to watch tonite!! then flicked on TV3 when I got into the house!!! wat was on??? the f**kin score,.....anyway hope it was a good game.....back into the Championship!! Woo Hooooo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

YYYYYESSSSS!!! Thank God we did it!!!
    The best team won and the sheer determination we had was brilliant.
    Well over 35000 owls fans (apparently the largest ever support for a club team in Cardiff) were fab (I only wish I was there). That shows we had to climb our way back up into top flight footie... and hopefully this is the beginning of the true comeback of SWFC!!
    Just back from town and lots of people were asking me how we got on today and saying they were happy to see Wednesday doing well.
    Brilliant! :)

Glenn Whelan was MOM again yesterday. So he was MOM in 2 out of the 3 playoff games. Not bad for a 21 year old holding midfielder. :)

i was so delighted yesterday - for me it was like winning our own european cup.
    i was the only person watching it in the bar i was in on sunday - and all these people were coming up to me wishing me well!!
    come september will be the first time i will be able to afford to travel across to hillsborough to watch them and ahving them in the championship means i have a chance of seeing a decent team against them and not doncaster!
    stoke city at home is a far more interesting prospect of course.....

another reason i am happy is our results will now be back on aertel on a saturday afternoon after an abscence of 2 years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement